The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Jul 19, 2013 at 12:20 PM Post #3,931 of 12,548
Got the phones today.  Very good sound so far but I find that I have to turn the MDAC up to -5dB or even all the way up to 0dB to get the volume I want.

I will do a lot more listening before I decided if I want a different amp.

Why is my heart filled with lust?

Jul 19, 2013 at 12:44 PM Post #3,932 of 12,548
Quote:
Got the phones today.  Very good sound so far but I find that I have to turn the MDAC up to -5dB or even all the way up to 0dB to get the volume I want.

There's a Just Mobile headphone stand on Amazon that looks like yours. Is that the one you've got? I've been looking around for a decent stand and yours looks great with your DT880.

Also, looking at your pair, it's now evident that my pads are worn down. I had assumed that all the pictures with the thicker pads I'd seen on the Internet were just idealized representations.

Jul 19, 2013 at 3:51 PM Post #3,934 of 12,548
Quote:

There's a Just Mobile headphone stand on Amazon that looks like yours. Is that the one you've got? I've been looking around for a decent stand and yours looks great with your DT880.

Also, looking at your pair, it's now evident that my pads are worn down. I had assumed that all the pictures with the thicker pads I'd seen on the Internet were just idealized representations.

Yeah it's the JustMobile stand from Amazon.  It's a good quality piece. 

Jul 19, 2013 at 5:03 PM Post #3,935 of 12,548
I own the DT770 and I was set to pick up the famous HD600's but the allure of the DT880's is just to strong. I loved everything about the 770's except the noise isolation.

The DT880's will do well with every genre, but it wont give you as much bass as your dt770's.

Jul 19, 2013 at 5:23 PM Post #3,936 of 12,548
Quote:

My experience as well when I auditioned the M-DAC with DT880. Depends on the source material of course. I went for the Woo WA7 in the end; very happy with the combo. 

Jul 19, 2013 at 5:46 PM Post #3,937 of 12,548
Quote:
I own the DT770 and I was set to pick up the famous HD600's but the allure of the DT880's is just to strong. I loved everything about the 770's except the noise isolation.

You do realize the DT880 isolates less not more, right? You want to be able to hear more of what's going on around you, or you just want a more airy, open-backed sound? Either way the DT880 will give you that. I have both the 880 and 600 and love them. You'll probably end up with both of them one day, like most of us. :wink:

Jul 20, 2013 at 10:16 PM Post #3,939 of 12,548
If he gets up and start dancing, then you know he hears it.

Jul 20, 2013 at 10:24 PM Post #3,940 of 12,548
Haha, thats very true.  Now if I can record said dancing....

On a side note, if I plug my 250Ω's directly into my source (iphone 5/ipad mini) and max it to full volume, it seems to be ok.  Any reason why this is a bad idea?  Not efficient, less quality?  I have an amp (JDS O2), but have yet to go LOD, so not sure if my setup is any good.  I also have the momentum's which obviously are closed back and no need for the amp (better for portability and sound isolation in the office).

Jul 20, 2013 at 11:32 PM Post #3,942 of 12,548
Quote:
Haha, thats very true.  Now if I can record said dancing....

On a side note, if I plug my 250Ω's directly into my source (iphone 5/ipad mini) and max it to full volume, it seems to be ok.  Any reason why this is a bad idea?  Not efficient, less quality?  I have an amp (JDS O2), but have yet to go LOD, so not sure if my setup is any good.  I also have the momentum's which obviously are closed back and no need for the amp (better for portability and sound isolation in the office).

It won't sound as good.

Jul 21, 2013 at 10:07 AM Post #3,943 of 12,548
Has anyone successfully revived a DT880 driver that's gone silent?

The left channel on my DT880 started cutting out a few days ago - No sound degradation, the left channel went completely silent and then would come back perfectly for 30 minutes or so.  This happened about 5 times but now its always silent.

1. I checked the cable with a multi-meter - No problems.
  2. I then checked the driver with a multi-meter - Not ok - No current passes through the left driver and no noise (when doing the same test with the right driver i hear some noise and see approx 250ohms resistance). 

So it seems that there is a problem with the left driver, but im assuming (with no real knowledge!) its some kind of internal connection that has gone wrong as opposed to serious damage (as the sound was cutting in and out without degradation before failure).

Has anyone taken apart a DT880 driver and have advice on what i could try next?

Any help hugely appreciated, Really low on cash and these are my sole reference for a couple of music projects i need to get finished.

Jul 21, 2013 at 11:01 AM Post #3,944 of 12,548
Hey vacious!
Possibly a bad driver or a bad voice coil / cable wire.

Follow the links in this post to see if it is a bad voice coil connection, one is for the DT770 but the drivers are built the same.

www.head-fi.org/t/429371/the-beyerdynamic-dt880-appreciation-discussion-thread/3855#post_9615006

Good luck and if you need any help just ask.

Jul 21, 2013 at 11:59 AM Post #3,945 of 12,548
Hi TrollDragon - Thanks for the help, much appreciated!

I read through those threads and checked the voicecoil wires (the two hair thin wires that goto the driver?) - They both appear to be OK between the tabs to the point where they go into the driver.  But i get no current passing through when running the multimeter (set to 2k - 250 ohm driver) across the the tabs where the voicecoil wires come from.

I couldnt find any info in the threads to check if the voicecoil itself is damaged - Do you know of a test for this? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back