The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Jul 7, 2013 at 6:50 PM Post #3,811 of 12,546

Here's my recabled DT880. They sound better than before and look way better.

Jul 7, 2013 at 7:49 PM Post #3,815 of 12,546
Quote:
How much did it cost you?

$145 plus shipping them. It was well worth the cost, I believe the cables helped clean up the highs to the point that some of my iffy recordings no longer sound sibilant and the mids sound a bit fuller as well. One of the biggest improvements was the bass impact. I noticed the bass wasn't any deeper than before but felt more like a whip the way a closed subwoofer hits with impact. They were recabled with 8 strand SPC cables by BTG audio. He does great work and I might put up a review soon. Very clean job and the hole for the dual entry looks like it was made to look that way.

Jul 7, 2013 at 9:05 PM Post #3,816 of 12,546
Quote:
$145 plus shipping them. It was well worth the cost, I believe the cables helped clean up the highs to the point that some of my iffy recordings no longer sound sibilant and the mids sound a bit fuller as well. One of the biggest improvements was the bass impact. I noticed the bass wasn't any deeper than before but felt more like a whip the way a closed subwoofer hits with impact. They were recabled with 8 strand SPC cables by BTG audio. He does great work and I might put up a review soon. Very clean job and the hole for the dual entry looks like it was made to look that way.

Nice! I wish i could get mine recabled aswell but unfortunately i live in a country where you can rarely find audiophile equipment, and if you do, its expensive. My country's local distributors of Sennheiser have their prices high, I'm talking really high, the HD598 costs around $300 and the HD600 is for $450. Anyway, is there a way i can get cables delivered to me and then maybe recable the headphone by myself? Either way I'm getting some 6N1P Russian tubes for my tube amp, i heard its a midrange-heavy tube so I'm looking forward to getting them.

Jul 8, 2013 at 6:50 AM Post #3,817 of 12,546
Yo guys, is it normal for the 880 250 pros to sometimes make a loud clicking noise on the headband when I move the headband to put on my head?

Jul 8, 2013 at 7:36 AM Post #3,818 of 12,546
That clicking is one of the fork arms catching up on a headband snap bottom, take the headband off and see if it still does it. You can put a piece of heavy tape on the snap bottom to smooth out the edge of it so the arm won't catch.

Jul 8, 2013 at 8:47 AM Post #3,819 of 12,546
My left cup occasionally does this. TD has it right (though I've never tried taping it, since I've never disassembled my pair). It doesn't seem to have caused any harm so far, but it can be annoying, especially since the clicking is usually accompanied by the yoke snapping back into position.

Jul 8, 2013 at 9:19 AM Post #3,820 of 12,546
Quote:
My left cup occasionally does this. TD has it right (though I've never tried taping it, since I've never disassembled my pair). It doesn't seem to have caused any harm so far, but it can be annoying, especially since the clicking is usually accompanied by the yoke snapping back into position.

Mine do this occasionally too. Never considered it anything to worry about.

Jul 8, 2013 at 11:44 AM Post #3,821 of 12,546
Yep me too, I've had that happen with my 880 and both 770s that I've owned. On one of them I was able to open up the end peice (the plastic bit with "L" or "R" on it, where the yolk extends) and re-seat the plastic piece that "clicks" against the yoke and that fixed it. But generally I don't think its anything to worry about.

Jul 8, 2013 at 2:40 PM Post #3,822 of 12,546
Oh yeah, forgot I had the e17 too. Lol. I've tried it as a dac/amp & dac+o2. I liked the dac+o2 better. Aune T1 + o2, even better. Any tubes in the chain helps take some of the digital harshness out of my computer source. Still haven't tried t1 with magni yet. Will give that a try Monday.

Update : Aune T1 + Magni sounds pretty darn good as well. With the Aune T1, the tube is only on the buffer so the coloring from it should be minimal but even that's enough to take the digital sound out of the highs for the 880s. Now I'm running Modi + 336se. I'm liking the combo a lot. Might be giving the T1 a rest. I'll need to do a more extensive AB. As a matter of fact... I need to find some time to do a comparison with all the dacs & amps that I have. Amps : DV 336se, E17, Magni & Objective2; Dacs Aune T1, Modi, ELE, & E17... :xf_eek:

Jul 8, 2013 at 7:26 PM Post #3,823 of 12,546
Sennheiser HD600: What an experience. 

Ok, its been about 5 days since I exchanged my DT880's with my friends HD600. I have listened to the HD600 closely with my own music this time, every track i tested it with is hammered into my brain. I will include a list of the songs i used after the review.

First off, let me start by saying that today is my birthday and im generally in an awesome mood :D Nothing to do with the review but just letting you know :p

The review is going to be divided into four parts: 1. Comfort 2. Sound 3. Overall winner and which one I'm going to keep. 4. list of songs i used

Lets dive right into it, shall we?
1. Comfort: 
The 880's and 600's are both extremely comfortable. I can wear both for hours without feeling discomfort. However, i do give this one to the DT880's since the ear pads are just SO SOFT. Its like marshmallows are kissing my cheeks lol. Clamping pressure on both is very light. Moving with the headphones on my head is MUCH easier with the HD600's, i dont know why but everytime i bob my head with the DT880's i have a feeling that they're going to fall. 
Winner: This one goes to the DT880's by a very small margin.

2. Sound: 
Ok, here's where things can get a bit messy. The following is just my personal opinion, you may have a different opinion and that's perfectly fine. If you're gonna bash on me for stating my opinion, well then there's something seriously wrong with you.

Bass: 
The low end on both headphones is great. The DT880's bass is more textured with a deeper extension than the HD600's. However, it feels as if it lacks some impact sometimes. This is not the case with the HD600's. I believe the HD600's has slightly more impact to its bass. 
Winner: DT880

Midrange:
One of the things i hear a lot about the DT series is the recessed midrange. Keep in mind i have used a tube amp with my DT880's. Tube amps usually warm things up and bring the midrange forward. The midrange on both headphones is brilliant. The HD600's have a forward, lively midrange that is in no way recessed. Stringed instruments and pianos sound simply awesome. Male vocals have more weight to them compared to the DT880's, which sound somewhat lacking weight in male vocals. To my ears, DT880's mids are flat/neutral. They are not recessed nor are they exaggerated. Female vocals, for some reason, sound way better on the DT880's. I don't know why this is the case, but female vocalists like Evanescence, Ayah Marar, Tasha Baxter just sound more natural and smoother with the DT880's. There's a feeling i get when i listen to a song with the DT880's, (Evanescence - Hello), that i feel i will never get in any headphone. It feels as if she's right in front of me, screaming at my face (in a good way). I did get that feeling with the HD600's, and it was almost an identical experience, except i enjoyed it on the DT880's just slightly more. The DT880's has more detail in its midrange, but thats not necessarily good. Some people like a headphone that will show you music the way it is, they don't want a spotlight to inspect the music and parts of it.
Winner: HD600.

Treble: 
This one is going to be tough. The DT880's treble has a LOT of detail and extends all the way up there. The treble is clean, nice, and unfatiguing. The DT880 is one of the best treble performing headphones in my opinion. The treble on the HD600's is also very nice. It can make brightly mastered music sound fine and nice, this is something the DT880's cant do. Sometimes i feel the HD600's lack some detail in treble, but thats not a problem since you get so absorbed in the music that you forget about the details. The HD600's also do a better job at making low bitrate/poorly recorded songs sound good. On the other hand, the DT880's will make you hate them and you'll realize how much of a mess they are.
Winner: This one's a tie. 

Transparency: 
Both of these headphones are very transparent. I don't get the 'Sennheiser Veil' everyone seems to be talking about. To me, they sound nice and transparent. So do the Beyers.
Winner: This one's a tie also.

Detail: 
Both headphone are very detailed. However, the detail is more obvious on the DT880's. Don't get me wrong, the HD600's are still detailed, but when you listen to the DT880's for a long time, you kind of remember where's that detail and where's this detail and how easily is this detail shown. You don't have to listen carefully to pick up the details, they just kind of make their way in to your ears. On the HD600's, the detail is there, but its not the main focus. If you listen closely, you will notice the DT880's have a slight edge in terms of detail, but the HD600 is still no slouch. 
Winner: DT880

Soundstage: 
The soundstage on both headphones are really wide. There's plenty of room for everything. The soundstage on DT880's seems just a little bit bigger. Unnoticeable unless you A/B both headphones. Imaging on both is good, but the edge goes to the HD600's this time.
Winner: This one's a tie.

3. Overall Winner and which one im going to keep: 
Beyerdynamic DT880 3 - 1 Sennheiser HD600
For all you boxers like me, if this was a boxing match it would be between Muhammad Ali and Mike Tyson lol.
No matter how good the HD600's sounded, i just keep going back to my Beyers. I don't think Im going to upgrade any time sooner. Maybe a couple of years later i will take a leap into summit-fi and get the Beyerdynamic T1 or Audeze LCD-2. But for now, i plan on keeping my DT880's, because i know that if i traded them for the 600's, there will be a feeling in my heart that wont let me sleep. Those are both great headphones, dont let anybody tell you dt880's are better than the 600's or vice versa. It all comes down to preference, and lucky enough for me, i enjoy the German sound a bit more :)

4. Songs i used: 

- Overdue by Spor and Tasha Baxter

- Joker and the Thief by Wolfmother

- Suni Clay - In a Hood Near You

- Kasabian - Club Foot

- Professional Griefers by Deadmau5

- Radioactive by Imagine Dragons

- Swedish House Mafia - Save the World

- MitiS - Pain

- Stromae - Alors on Danse

- Stromae - Papaouti

- Linkin Park - Castles of Sand and In the End.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back