The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Jul 4, 2013 at 5:51 PM Post #3,781 of 12,546
Quote:
I was afraid you might say that!

I've heard T1s briefly.
My initial impressions were that they sounded like bright DT880.
Not really a fair conclusion, like I said, I've only heard them for a few minutes or so.

Hmm, bright is not what I'd call them. They're definitely warmer and fuller sounding than DT880, but at the same time, clearer. I guess thats what you get with higher resolution.  Detail, clarity and sound separation without having a bass light bright sound. They don't sound THAT much better than DT880's, its not like they make them sound like crap in comparison, but its definitely similar to that feeling of seeing an HD picture on the TV for the first time ever after using regular TV's your whole life...if anyone can still remember that moment, since it was quite a while ago for most people. :p

Oh, and just to mention, I have the new T1's, the ones after the last years so called "revision" that some people talked about. I've never heard "old" T1's, but certain people said they compared new and old and old were considerably brighter than new ones.

Jul 4, 2013 at 6:53 PM Post #3,783 of 12,546
One day I'm going to sell my room and buy an HE90.

Jul 4, 2013 at 11:37 PM Post #3,785 of 12,546
Hello guys. I just bought a DT-880 pro. Actually I'm looking for a good DAC/AMP that would match with the DT-880 for a good price range. I was thinking about the Cambridge Audio DAC Magic Plus or the Asus xonar essence one (maybe the muses edition). I intend to use the equipment mainly for listen to music and work with my own compositions (I'm using a desktop with the crap build in sound card LOL) . And of course that i want neutral and detailed sound. This will be my first DAC/AMP. And if anyone already tried this out, I would like to know about how they will sound together. Thanks in advance.

Jul 4, 2013 at 11:44 PM Post #3,786 of 12,546
I have heard great things about the pairing between the Audio GD 11.32 DAC/AMP and the DT880 - so I bought that!  I haven't yet received it so I can't comment at this stage on whether it sounds as excellent as people are saying (for the price point) - but all reviews seem to point to it being a fantastic package at ~$300.

Jul 5, 2013 at 12:24 PM Post #3,787 of 12,546
Hello guys. I just bought a DT-880 pro. Actually I'm looking for a good DAC/AMP that would match with the DT-880 for a good price range. I was thinking about the Cambridge Audio DAC Magic Plus or the Asus xonar essence one (maybe the muses edition). I intend to use the equipment mainly for listen to music and work with my own compositions (I'm using a desktop with the crap build in sound card LOL) . And of course that i want neutral and detailed sound. This will be my first DAC/AMP. And if anyone already tried this out, I would like to know about how they will sound together. Thanks in advance.

Will you be producing/tracking with this setup? If not:
Why dont you get a decent DAC and pair it up with a tube amp, it will bring a lot of wonderful things to your ears trust me. :)

Jul 5, 2013 at 6:56 PM Post #3,788 of 12,546
Quote:
Will you be producing/tracking with this setup? If not:
Why dont you get a decent DAC and pair it up with a tube amp, it will bring a lot of wonderful things to your ears trust me.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for the reply. In fact I will be "producing/tracking". Since ATM I don't have neither a sound card with SPDIF out nor a headphone amplifier. I thought that it would be a good idea to get a "all in one DAC/AMP Soundcard" like Essence one or DM+. I intend to make some upgrades in the future, buy a independent DAC and AMP. I'll probablly need another sound card for MIDI devices as well (I presume that I'll experience problemes with latency using those DAC/AMP). For me Asus and DM+ seemed to be a good way to start the game. But I wanted to know if they would fit my DT-880 ^-^.

Jul 5, 2013 at 8:32 PM Post #3,789 of 12,546
Quote:
You say this because you have not tried Nucleotide recabled DT880/600.
dt880smile.png

Nice!! I got my DT880s recabled by BTG audio with 8 strand SPC and a Furutech fp-704 1/4 jack in a dual entry configuration. I will say that cables actually make a difference and this is not some bull**** placebo thing. The highs cleared up a bit and are no longer sibilant with iffy recordings that used to give me problems, the mids are much fuller sounding kind of like the HD650, the lows aren't any deeper but they have much more impact that you can actually FEEL on your head.

To all the criticizers of the DT880, go get your damn headphones modified, get a good source, a good amp, and then come tell me that they sound congested or lack bass.
And someone tell that DT990 fanboy to get out of here...

Jul 5, 2013 at 8:56 PM Post #3,790 of 12,546
Nice!! I got my DT880s recabled by BTG audio with 8 strand SPC and a Furutech fp-704 1/4 jack in a dual entry configuration. I will say that cables actually make a difference and this is not some bull**** placebo thing. The highs cleared up a bit and are no longer sibilant with iffy recordings that used to give me problems, the mids are much fuller sounding kind of like the HD650, the lows aren't any deeper but they have much more impact that you can actually FEEL on your head.

To all the criticizers of the DT880, go get your damn headphones modified, get a good source, a good amp, and then come tell me that they sound congested or lack bass.
And someone tell that DT990 fanboy to get out of here...

I had an opportunity to try my DT880/600 with an Audiolab M-DAC.
What an ear opener!
I was quite surprised at how much clearer and well balanced my DT880 sounded!

Jul 5, 2013 at 9:19 PM Post #3,791 of 12,546
Well the new toy has arrived, time to test it out with the tiny xlr dual entry modified Pro's. :D

Jul 6, 2013 at 8:48 AM Post #3,792 of 12,546
Just jumped onto the bandwagon recently, anybody has a dt880 pro 250ohm paired with an o2+odac?

I've been looking around for items around that price range... Stuff like fiio e7+e9, schiit m&m, etc. but I'm leaning towards the o2+odac. Any comments will be greatly appreciated :D

I'm actually quite surprised by how good they sound out of a ipod classic 7g (rockboxed) with a c&c bh! I think they are not fulfilling their max potential though... and reading about the recabling is seriously tempting although it would cost quite a lot more to ship it to BTG from Singapore. Maybe after my warranty expires.

Cheers!

Jul 6, 2013 at 9:54 AM Post #3,793 of 12,546
I have an o2 and just picked up a m&m Stack, not sure why lol, but after running a tube setup the o2 and magni feels sterile and clinical. They run great, just not my cup of tea anymore. Maybe the fiio stuff, they tend to be a little darker.

Jul 6, 2013 at 10:01 AM Post #3,794 of 12,546
Quote:
I have an o2 and just picked up a m&m Stack, not sure why lol, but after running a tube setup the o2 and magni feels sterile and clinical. They run great, just not my cup of tea anymore. Maybe the fiio stuff, they tend to be a little darker.

Ah.

Would tubes really suit me if I'm into metal? Doesn't seem to be the most optimum configuration

Jul 6, 2013 at 11:14 AM Post #3,795 of 12,546
Quote:

I've used my DT880 with numerous SS rigs, including some FiiO amps:    E17, E12, E09K and a Matrix M Stage. The M Stage would be the best out of that bunch. Sure, they sound great, but not optimal.

The only time I have ever heard the DT880s really shine was with my La Figaro 336C tube amp (disclaimer:  this is the only tube amp I have used with the DT880) and via the headphone jack on an Audiolab M-DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back