The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Jul 1, 2013 at 9:07 AM Post #3,736 of 12,546
Well the choice was made the wallet got singed and the Little Dot MK IV has been ordered for the DT880's. Thanks for the input guys... 
rolleyes.gif

tongue_smile.gif

biggrin.gif
 all is good.
It is going to be wonderful to have a tube setup, now to just find a way to bring in a collection of tubes as well...
beerchug.gif

Jul 1, 2013 at 9:54 AM Post #3,738 of 12,546
Quote:
Suggest you upgrade it to the more expensive "SE" version with it's better components and tube options - well worth the extra $s.

The SE version was a little out of my price range and is starting to creep into Woo territory, I'll live with the choice of the standard version for now... since this is my first tube amp I am sure there will be a lot more spending down the road. 
biggrin.gif

Jul 1, 2013 at 10:10 AM Post #3,740 of 12,546
Quote:
Your wallet's about to be nailed by a massive combo.
biggrin.gif

Roll roll roll your tubes....

Nice!
The wife is going to love this... 
biggrin.gif

Jul 1, 2013 at 10:13 AM Post #3,741 of 12,546
Quote:
Your wallet's about to be nailed by a massive combo.
biggrin.gif

Roll roll roll your tubes....

That's actually quite clever. I've never put much thought into how people manage their tube collections. Putting them in that plastic box certainly beats having them loose, and it has to be more efficient and protective than just keeping them in the cardboard boxes they come in (if those boxes are even extant).

Jul 1, 2013 at 10:33 AM Post #3,742 of 12,546
Pretty cheap too. I bought it from the fish & hunting section at Wal-mart for $3 and a giant block of dense foam that I cut pieces to cushion and fill space for another $3. $6 to protect hundreds of dollars worth of tubes. :D Well, hundreds when the Chatham 2399 isn't being used... :p

Jul 2, 2013 at 2:52 AM Post #3,743 of 12,546
Jul 2, 2013 at 3:39 AM Post #3,745 of 12,546
It is leather, though. Rather thin leather, but hey! And while it won't stop a bullet or protect the headphone inside in the event a rampaging elephant steps on it, it's certainly nicer than the usual neoprene or felt bag you get with most headphones.

I think his overall assessment that the headphone is essentially flawless is where I raise my eyebrows a bit. I mean, I love mine, and I still think they have some flaws. They're not perfect because nothing is.

Jul 2, 2013 at 6:42 AM Post #3,746 of 12,546
Quote:
I think his overall assessment that the headphone is essentially flawless is where I raise my eyebrows a bit. I mean, I love mine, and I still think they have some flaws. They're not perfect because nothing is.

Come on now, Argyris! We here in this thread all know that the 880 is perfect even though we sometimes pretend otherwise. It was created by God as a panacea for all the headphone ills in the world, all the rolled off treble, flabby bass and hollow midrange. If you turn off your lights now, you'll see that it glows slightly in the dark, and that above it floats a distinct ring of pure light. This is the ethereal glow of purity and perfection, which no man may gainsay (except perhaps the philistines in the Sennheiser threads). There's just no point denying it: the DT880 is the acme of headphone design and the last word in sound reproduction.

tongue.gif

Jul 2, 2013 at 7:14 AM Post #3,747 of 12,546
Come on now, Argyris! We here in this thread all know that the 880 is perfect even though we sometimes pretend otherwise. It was created by God as a panacea for all the headphone ills in the world, all the rolled off treble, flabby bass and hollow midrange. If you turn off your lights now, you'll see that it glows slightly in the dark, and that above it floats a distinct ring of pure light. This is the ethereal glow of purity and perfection, which no man may gainsay (except perhaps the philistines in the Sennheiser threads). There's just no point denying it: the DT880 is the acme of headphone design and the last word in sound reproduction.

tongue.gif

They are all things to all men.
The greatest poets are rendered mute by their beauty.

Jul 2, 2013 at 7:47 AM Post #3,748 of 12,546
Quote:
They are all things to all men.
The greatest poets are rendered mute by their beauty.

Quote:

tongue.gif

This is where I say: ''I'm sending my DT880s back and keeping my Sennheiser HD600s'' 
dt880smile.png

Which I am.. actually doing with pain in my heart, because I'd like to keep them both. Bring on the angry DT880 mob :frowning2: 

Jul 2, 2013 at 7:56 AM Post #3,749 of 12,546
Damn! Lost another one! 
mad.gif

Seriously, though, I'm glad you were able to work out which one you wanted to keep. Of course the "keep them both" suggestion inevitably comes up, but that's not realistic for everybody (probably not for most people, actually), and I know it must have required a lot of willpower to stick with your plan to keep only one once you had both of them in front of you.

At least you were able to try the DT880, and even better, you were able to make a direct comparison to the HD600. Imagine how it would have been if you'd never done this and then spent half your time thinking maybe I should have gotten the DT880 instead. Maybe at a later date you can pick up another DT880 (maybe a used one, to save some money) if you really want that sound again.

Anyway, happy listening with your HD600. I know it by reputation as a fine headphone, and the traditional competition to the DT880 when they both were the flagships of their respective makers.

Jul 2, 2013 at 8:07 AM Post #3,750 of 12,546
Quote:
Damn! Lost another one! 
mad.gif

Seriously, though, I'm glad you were able to work out which one you wanted to keep. Of course the "keep them both" suggestion inevitably comes up, but that's not realistic for everybody (probably not for most people, actually), and I know it must have required a lot of willpower to stick with your plan to keep only one once you had both of them in front of you.

At least you were able to try the DT880, and even better, you were able to make a direct comparison to the HD600. Imagine how it would have been if you'd never done this and then spent half your time thinking maybe I should have gotten the DT880 instead. Maybe at a later date you can pick up another DT880 (maybe a used one, to save some money) if you really want that sound again.

Anyway, happy listening with your HD600. I know it by reputation as a fine headphone, and the traditional competition to the DT880 when they both were the flagships of their respective makers.

I approve of this awesome post. Yeah it wasn't easy, but well. I guess I'm going to try to repair the broken cable on my Samson SR850 and install velour pads instead of the leather pads that look like they were torn to pieces. So that way I'll still have 2 headphones to listen to my orchestral mixes to for a bit of reference. 
Thanks! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back