The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Jun 27, 2013 at 11:57 AM Post #3,706 of 12,546
That'll be the Darkvoice 
size]

.  My LD MKIV is the same.  Beautiful with the DT880.

Probably that :wink: But I also never found it too bright on my E17 + O2 setup, prior to getting the Aune T1 + Darkvoice. I'm tempted to update my SS setup but I don't think I'll really gain much from it unless I spend a thousand. Maybe ODAC and Lake People G103s.... :D

Jun 27, 2013 at 8:27 PM Post #3,707 of 12,546
Is it common for the sliding mechanism for expanding the headband on the DT880s to be very loose? There are almost no clicks like the Custom One Pros, the cups slide up and down very freely when I take them off or put them on. I have to adjust them every time I put them on my head.

Jun 27, 2013 at 8:35 PM Post #3,708 of 12,546
Quote:
Is it common for the sliding mechanism for expanding the headband on the DT880s to be very loose? There are almost no clicks like the Custom One Pros, the cups slide up and down very freely when I take them off or put them on. I have to adjust them every time I put them on my head.

Yes, its like that on all Beyers except for Pro models.  Even on the T1's the headband is loose and I have to adjust it every time before putting it on my head. I dont know why Beyer does that...its annoying as hell. Why cant they make the sliding mechanism solid like on pro models...I have no idea.

Jun 27, 2013 at 9:10 PM Post #3,709 of 12,546
Funny, mine isn't loose. What it also isn't, however, is smooth, which annoys me. It tends to catch, the clicks are indistinct, and adjusting while on the head is difficult. Of course I rarely adjust them (the fit fluctuates a bit based on how long I spend between haircuts), but every time I do, I'm reminded that it's one black mark on an otherwise well thought-out design.

Jun 28, 2013 at 1:54 AM Post #3,710 of 12,546
Quote:
Quote:

Well, I lived with the HD650 for about five years and was never quite satisfied. Extreme treble felt rolled off and lower treble a bit harsh, or maybe just over-pronounced. Now I've got the DT880 and can't really pick a fault outside that (very easily correctable) treble peak to 6khz. To me it's a very definite improvement in the direction of neutrality.

And I'd agree with you regarding the HD650 - but I was talking about the HD600 vs DT880 
size]

I was aware of that, but thought my experience might still be of some interest and relevance anyway. And just to compound my error, I might comment that I never liked the 600 as much as the 650--if anything the lower treble was even harsher. Thankfully all those concerns are now fixed courtesy of Beyer.

Jun 28, 2013 at 3:15 AM Post #3,711 of 12,546
Having spent the last week or so listening to the 250 ohm DT880s through my FiiO E17 - I have just pulled the trigger on the Audio GD 11.32 DAC/AMP to give it a whirl.  It seems to offer reasonably impressive value for money (even in Australia where it is a touch more expensive - I paid $370 for the unit with the upgraded BNC and the TCXO upgrade to the ES9018). 

I have been vastly impressed with the DT880s even with the minimal power offered by the E17, so I am hoping to open them up a bit further with the 11.32. 

Jun 28, 2013 at 5:06 PM Post #3,714 of 12,546
a question gents. why are the 880 premiums more expensive than the pro's? one would think it would be the other way around. cheers
http://www.head-fi.org/t/513393/guide-sonic-differences-between-dt770-dt990-models-more

http://www.head-fi.org/t/635205/beyerdynamic-880-pro-vs-880-premium-why-the-difference

The premium has less bass, better soundstage,less clamp, a straight cable and is constructed of better materials than the pro.

Jun 28, 2013 at 5:20 PM Post #3,715 of 12,546
Quote:
Quote:
a question gents. why are the 880 premiums more expensive than the pro's? one would think it would be the other way around. cheers

http://www.head-fi.org/t/513393/guide-sonic-differences-between-dt770-dt990-models-more

http://www.head-fi.org/t/635205/beyerdynamic-880-pro-vs-880-premium-why-the-difference

The premium has less bass, better soundstage,less clamp, a straight cable and is constructed of better materials than the pro.

The Premium models aren't constructed of better materials except maybe the 990 which uses metal on the Premium version where the Pro version uses plastic. The only difference in sound would be because of the slightly tighter clamping force of the Pro models. I don't think its very accurate to say the Pro models have more bass or that the Premium models have a better soundstage.

Jun 28, 2013 at 5:42 PM Post #3,716 of 12,546
Quote:

The Premium models aren't constructed of better materials except maybe the 990 which uses metal on the Premium version where the Pro version uses plastic. The only difference in sound would be because of the slightly tighter clamping force of the Pro models. I don't think its very accurate to say the Pro models have more bass or that the Premium models have a better soundstage.

^ Yep - this

The more bass comment is simply because with the tighter clamp, the drivers are closer to your ears, and the pads will also seal slightly better.  The idea of a change in sound stage will be same principle - driver distance and extent of seal.

I've owned both.

Jun 28, 2013 at 6:29 PM Post #3,717 of 12,546
Beyer seems to like to start off with a base model and then offer slightly tweaked versions targeted at specific usage scenarios (e.g. differing impedance versions, Pro vs. Premium, etc). They also reuse a lot of their design elements across product lines. If I had to guess, I'd say the price difference between Premium and Pro DTxx0 models comes down to Beyer taking this strategy one step further and targeting different market segments entirely. Following this idea through, maybe in order to compete they need to hit a lower price point in the pro segment than in the consumer segment. Normally, companies will either maintain separate pro and consumer lines, or else simply market the same products toward both. Beyer seems to be trying to combine the two strategies by treating the segments differently (by offering tweaked, optimized products to each with differing price points) but starting with the same basic models. Notice that, aside from wholesalers like Amazon, sellers often carry either the Premium line or the Pro line, but not both.

Or, they're just trying to make a few extra bucks off consumers. Wouldn't be the first company in the world with that motivation. 
wink.gif

Jun 28, 2013 at 6:32 PM Post #3,718 of 12,546
Yea I didn't say it, I was summarizing what was stated in the threads for those who chose not to read them.

I have owned the DT770 pro 250ohm and the DT880 pro 250ohm and I currently own the same in the premium versions. All of the premium models use metal where the pros use plastic not just the 990. I do consider that better materials.

Jun 28, 2013 at 10:10 PM Post #3,720 of 12,546
I guess it's more of a style thing (or whatever they mean by precious). The headbands are different as are the sliders and obviously the cups.

Here's Beyerdynamic's answer to the question of the differences::
To your question: What is the difference between the PRO and Consumer DT 770 headphones?

All our premium headphones (made in Germany) are available as PRO and Consumer Versions. PRO headphones are conceived for maximum durability even in toughest studio conditions, the Consumer models have the more precious design.

As regards sound, both versions feature equal quality, as they use the same systems. Due to the fact the PRO version uses a stronger headband, this headphone may sound a bit more voluminous and has a slightly tighter fit. Like mentioned above, another difference is that the DT 770 PRO (250Ω Version) features a coiled cable. The Consumer version has got a 3 meters straight cable.

This is from Beyerdynamic's FAQ page:
The DT 880 PRO is designed for use in studio and on stage for professional use. It's headband has a more rugged construction (thicker material) and gives a more secure fit for the listener in comparison to the DT 880 Edition. This provides a better fit and causes also a more powerful compressed sound which is necessary for professional applications in studio, OB and FOH. The DT 880 Edition therefore is designed for easy listening. The headband provides a long wearing comfort for hours, causing the DT 880 Edition to have a more transparent and open sound in comparison to the DT 880 PRO.

The differences of both headphones are not huge in mechanical design, but only that small change causes a big difference in sound and application.

The following headphones DT 990 PRO - DT 990 Edition have a very similar difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back