The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Jun 18, 2013 at 7:37 AM Post #3,586 of 12,546
Quote:
Chosen One!

The E7 + E9 combo easily powers 600 Ohm DT880.

I would argue that you should try to get 600 Ohm version as you could use them with a OTL tube amp in the future.
Many say that the 250 and 600 sound the same.

Chris - just from my own experience - I had the E7 + E9 combo, and also both the DT880 250ohm Pros and the DT880 600 ohm Premium.

The E7/E9 will get them plenty loud - but IMO unless you're specifically thinking of going OTL Tube - I'd stick to the 250 ohm.  The E7/E9 did a much better job with the 250s - than it did with the 600s.

The E9 is outputting 80 mW into 600 ohm, my NFB-12 (which sounds pretty good with the 600's) is 150 mW into 600 ohms.  My LD MKIV is somewhere around 500 mW I think.  It wasn't until I started comparing that I really noticed how well the 600 ohm scale with more voltage.  They are pretty sensitive headphones overall - so straight power doesn't seem to make as much difference as higher output voltage.

Jun 18, 2013 at 7:42 AM Post #3,587 of 12,546
Quote:
Chosen One!

The E7 + E9 combo easily powers 600 Ohm DT880.

I would argue that you should try to get 600 Ohm version as you could use them with a OTL tube amp in the future.
Many say that the 250 and 600 sound the same.

I got the E17+E9 combo, not E7+E9 if that matters. 

Quote:
I owned both.  IMO there is very little difference.

If you're not getting a tube amp or very powerful solid state - then I'd personally suggest going 250 ohm.  It just gives you more options.  That being said - I do enjoy my 600ohm with my Little Dot MKIV.

Also the Pro have a colied cable and much tighter clamp.  The 600 ohm only come in Premium (DT880) - which is looser fit, and straight cable.

I guess I'll get the 250 ohm pro on amazon since it saves me almost $100.  I don't remember all the details but I remember people said tighter clamp makes it sound a bit better.  Plus I'm sure it's as comfortable like the HD600s otherwise people would've pointed it out.  I recently bought the Grado SR325is but returned it immedialty cause it was very uncomfortable and made my ears hurt after 1 hour.  And if I do upgrade amp/dac for the 250 ohm I can get tube amp or solid state for it right?  Don't know much about headphones so I gotta ask these questions that seem obvious or dumb to audiophiles who know their stuff.

One last question, do you guys think I'm making the right/good choice of getting the 250 ohm pros?  Like I said I got the HD600s and wanna get something that sounds different  And thanks to both of you guys, you've been very helpful

Jun 18, 2013 at 7:52 AM Post #3,588 of 12,546
Definitely different.  I used to (until very recently) own the 325is as well.

IMO - sonically the DT880 are closer sounding to the 325i than the HD600.  It's a nice contrast - and probably the main reason I've kept mine.  Then I have the K701 which (to me) bridges the gap between the DT880 and HD600 :)

BTW - you will find the DT880 Pros quite clampy at first - but if you're OK with the HD600s you'll have no problems.

Jun 18, 2013 at 10:24 AM Post #3,589 of 12,546
Quote:
DT880 Pros quite clampy at first

Pfft. You need to try some HD 280s. I couldn't even feel the clamp on my DT880s!
tongue.gif

Jun 18, 2013 at 7:51 PM Post #3,590 of 12,546
Quote:

I got the E17+E9 combo, not E7+E9 if that matters. 

Chosen 0ne!

It's the E09 that actually drives the headphones, but apparently the E17 has a nicer DAC.

Signed,
The Buddha.

Jun 18, 2013 at 7:55 PM Post #3,591 of 12,546
Quote:

Chris - just from my own experience - I had the E7 + E9 combo, and also both the DT880 250ohm Pros and the DT880 600 ohm Premium.

The E7/E9 will get them plenty loud - but IMO unless you're specifically thinking of going OTL Tube - I'd stick to the 250 ohm.  The E7/E9 did a much better job with the 250s - than it did with the 600s.

The E9 is outputting 80 mW into 600 ohm, my NFB-12 (which sounds pretty good with the 600's) is 150 mW into 600 ohms.  My LD MKIV is somewhere around 500 mW I think.  It wasn't until I started comparing that I really noticed how well the 600 ohm scale with more voltage.  They are pretty sensitive headphones overall - so straight power doesn't seem to make as much difference as higher output voltage.

Yep,
To be honest, I normally use a La Figaro 36C tube amp for the 600 Ohm DT880s.
I agree, the DT880s need an amp that outputs a fair amount of voltage. They don't draw much current.

Jun 18, 2013 at 9:36 PM Post #3,592 of 12,546
Quote:
I guess I'll get the 250 ohm pro on amazon since it saves me almost $100.  I don't remember all the details but I remember people said tighter clamp makes it sound a bit better.  Plus I'm sure it's as comfortable like the HD600s otherwise people would've pointed it out.  I recently bought the Grado SR325is but returned it immedialty cause it was very uncomfortable and made my ears hurt after 1 hour.  And if I do upgrade amp/dac for the 250 ohm I can get tube amp or solid state for it right?  Don't know much about headphones so I gotta ask these questions that seem obvious or dumb to audiophiles who know their stuff.

By general concensus the Pros are in no way inferior if you're using a typical (ie non-tube) setup. Indeed, as you suggest, they may be superior in the sense that the tight clamp will give a better seal and thus better bass. As for comfort, I've found the 880 Pro the most comfortable headphone I've owned, and that includes the HD650. The only possible drawback with the Pro is the coiled cord, which you may or may not like. I like it.

As for upgrading later, you may not feel you need to--and if you don't feel it, don't be talked into it. The "huge" improvements to be had from dacs and tube amps are usually not that huge, and if you see anyone using phrases like "blows everything else out of the water", walk quickly in the opposite direction.

Your questions are not dumb.

Jun 20, 2013 at 6:58 AM Post #3,593 of 12,546
Hi pals,

First time poster.  Just received my DT880s (250 ohm) yesterday afternoon - have been putting some mileage on them and when I'm not listening I've been running some white, pink and brownian noise through them (it seems that they respond well to a good deal of breaking in).

I was concerned that initially (given that my set up at the moment is not one with particularly powerful output) I would be underwhelmed by the DT880s compared to my HD598s.  I am not, but I am certainly very keen to put something behind them that offers a bit more juice.  I am (currently) running through a FiiO E17 from my computer - I have also run them through the E17 off the back of a cowon j3 and they seem to sound quite good in that respect too (yes yes I know double amping is bad and blah blah blah). 

Certainly there seems to be plenty of volume on tap, and the bass extension is great in comparison to the HD 598s.  Soundstage perhaps a bit narrower, but it's depth makes up for that to some extent.  Were I to upgrade, for example, to the Schiit Valhalla - what changes might I expect to find in the characteristics of the sound? 

Either way, a great headphone, and will sit nicely alongside the HD598s (comfort masters, and will remain preferable I think for long-term listening sessions as they never ever fatigue my ears).

Jun 20, 2013 at 7:17 AM Post #3,594 of 12,546
Hey Pal!

A tube amp like the La Figaro 336C adds some warnth and fullness to the DT880.
It also tames the highs a bit and would give you a clearer sound than the headphone amp in the E17.

C.

Jun 20, 2013 at 7:45 AM Post #3,595 of 12,546
Wonderful.  A reasonably "newbish" question - I am very familiar with tube amps in the context of guitars but not so much in the audio world.  Something like the LaFigaro you referred to, or perhaps something from the Little Dot lineup, that would increase clarity over a solid state amplifier, rather than colour the sound in any particular way?

Jun 20, 2013 at 12:36 PM Post #3,596 of 12,546
Wonderful.  A reasonably "newbish" question - I am very familiar with tube amps in the context of guitars but not so much in the audio world.  Something like the LaFigaro you referred to, or perhaps something from the Little Dot lineup, that would increase clarity over a solid state amplifier, rather than colour the sound in any particular way?

I have a Matrix M Stage (a soild state amp) and the La Figaro 336C (a tube amp). I prefer the DT880 with the tube amp, the DT880 just sounds a bit bland with a solid state amp. For sure you are hearing some colouration, but then you get a bit of colouration with any amp. Tube amps don't actually generate a lot of distortion unless you overload them, but then SS amps generate a lot of distortion when you overload them, too. No headphone amp is perfect. Especially when you are only paying a couple hundred $$.

Jun 20, 2013 at 3:58 PM Post #3,597 of 12,546
I have a pair of the 600ohm dt880's and a MKIV SE as well as the Asgard 2.  Both work well with the DT880's but I prefer the MKIV se.  In fact, I can't believe how good the amp sounds with all my beyers (I have the T1's, 770's, 990 as well).  It is an incredibly cheap amp and sounds amazing.  I'd hightly recommend it.  It adds a lot of clarity, seperation and the sound stage is a lot better than the Asgard. 

Oddly enough though, I prefer the Asgard with my q701's. 

Jun 20, 2013 at 5:58 PM Post #3,598 of 12,546
Quote:
I have a pair of the 600ohm dt880's and a MKIV SE as well as the Asgard 2.  Both work well with the DT880's but I prefer the MKIV se.  In fact, I can't believe how good the amp sounds with all my beyers (I have the T1's, 770's, 990 as well).  It is an incredibly cheap amp and sounds amazing.  I'd hightly recommend it.  It adds a lot of clarity, seperation and the sound stage is a lot better than the Asgard. 

Oddly enough though, I prefer the Asgard with my q701's. 

+1

I see some people occasionally talking down the Little Dots as second rate - but the MKIV/MKIVSE is a very good amp.  I have a MKIV - but running the same tubes as in the SE - and it is wonderful with both the 600 ohm DT880, and also my Senn HD600s.  I'm like you though - I also prefer my K701 with my SS amp (Audio-gd NFB-12).  I wonder if its the damping factor?  The LD runs at an output impedence of ~ 50ohm (which is still pretty low for an OTL), but the NFB-12 is a much lower 2 ohms - which theoretically should be a better match for the 62 ohm 701's

Jun 20, 2013 at 7:22 PM Post #3,599 of 12,546
The MKIV is the one in the Little Dot lineup I was looking at, so that's very good to know.  I note that both recommendations for that amp are from guys with the 600ohm model of the DT880s - I assume there wouldn't be any issues with the 250 ohm model (they may not be quite so well paired with the amp - but they would still be reasonably well matched yes?)

Thanks for the advice.   This truly is a very helpful forum to be a part of.

Jun 20, 2013 at 7:44 PM Post #3,600 of 12,546
The LD has a 50 ohm headphone output impedance - so while it would suit the 600ohm DT880 better - I personally found that the 250 ohm DT880s (I used to own the Pros) sounded pretty good also.

The ideal damping factor is supposed to be around 1:8 or higher - but like I said, the 250's sounded good.  My current HD600's (300 ohm) are also very good through the MKIV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back