The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Jun 12, 2013 at 6:43 AM Post #3,556 of 12,548
My findings were similar. SS amp on the T1 is bright and doesn't pair well. I think the Magni doesn't pair well for the same reason as that it's a slightly bright amp as well. It worked out great when I had it setup : T1(Dac, Orange Globe tube) line out >> Objective2. The highs sparkled and weren't even close to being sibilant, mids were warm and slightly forward a bit. Bass hit perfectly for me, had impact and quantity was there if the song called for it. This is of course all YMMV since we all hear differently but it worked out great to my ears. I still run the T1 as the dac but upgraded to a Darkvoice 336 as an amp.

The 336 is an upgrade from the O2?
What do you prefer in the 336 over the O2?

Jun 12, 2013 at 4:54 PM Post #3,557 of 12,548
So after a ton of research, the DAC I'm hopefully getting will be the Schiit Modi. Now i just need an amp to go with it.

Jun 12, 2013 at 5:37 PM Post #3,559 of 12,548
I like the tube-y sound and the warmth that it imparts into the mids for the 880. And I think I'm a bit partial to tube rolling. :D I haven't AB them since my setup is at work and I should be working instead of comparing audio equipment but I'll find some time one day to run a comparison.

Jun 12, 2013 at 6:45 PM Post #3,560 of 12,548
Quote:
The DT990 doesn't do much of anything for me as everything sounds like it's so compressed and spread out at the same time. 

???

I have 990pro and can't say I have ever noticed that oxymoron . Try some EQ maybe.

As for as sibilance, it is in the recording and the 990 just shows it up more than most other headphones, if there is no sibilance in the recording you won't hear any. It isn't the headphone actually causing it. But I would prefer the highs to be a bit rolled off to avoid it so I will concede it can be a weak point but on a good classical recording it is also a strong point.

BTW, where can I get myself 600oHM 880 in Canada that sells online at a decent price?

Jun 13, 2013 at 12:59 AM Post #3,561 of 12,548
Quote:

Are you sure the Magni/Modi sound the least harsh? Some reviews say that its leaning towards the treble side, though i don't know if its the type of treble that will make your ears bleed or the treble that is smooth and non-fatiguing.

Anyway I'm saving up for either these or the O2 Amp+Dac combo. Thanks for the recommendation.

The Magni Modi combo was definitely less harsh than the T1, but you may be right in that it may still be leaning towards the brighter side.  It was hard for me to tell since I didn't have anything else to compare it to and because the DT880s are already known to have slightly bright highs.  I would probably recommend going for a pure tube amp or an amp that is known to be warm to pair with the DT880s. 

Jun 13, 2013 at 3:00 AM Post #3,562 of 12,548
Sadly, I sent these back on their way to Amazon. They paid for the shipping because of the strange problems mine seemed to have, so all is good there. I don't think I'll be getting into the higher end markets of audiophile products ($100+) for quite some time. Probably at least until I'm out of college. The small amount of money I make as a college student could go towards a lot of other life sustaining necessities, like tacos.

Jun 13, 2013 at 4:34 AM Post #3,563 of 12,548
Sadly, I sent these back on their way to Amazon. They paid for the shipping because of the strange problems mine seemed to have, so all is good there. I don't think I'll be getting into the higher end markets of audiophile products ($100+) for quite some time. Probably at least until I'm out of college. The small amount of money I make as a college student could go towards a lot of other life sustaining necessities, like tacos.

Tacos are indeed a necessity. So are Ramen noodles. Make sure you've got a large supply. 
biggrin.gif

I'm sorry to hear the DT880 didn't work out for you, but at least you made the decision early to pack them up and send them off.

Lots of people who genuinely don't like something (or in the very least are overwhelmed with it) come on here and are convinced first to burn it in for hundreds of hours, then try different amps, then different DACs, etc.; and by the time they realize all that stuff can't realistically be expected to fundamentally change how something sounds (except when there's a serious impedance mismatch, or else if something's defective or just performs unusually poorly), the return window is gone.

In my own case, I spent two weeks with the M50 before I decided I couldn't live with it and was forced to eat the restocking fee from GC. I spent three weeks with the Grado SR225i before I came to the same realization and had to pay to ship it back to HeadRoom (great folks, BTW). In that time I tried a bewildering array of suggestions (e.g. taping up bass reflex ports on the M50, bending the headband on the SR225i), and even some fixes of my own invention (filters for the SR225i made of toilet paper to dampen the highs--interestingly, it also tamed the low end, making them smooth and mid-centric, but too colored for my taste).

It was a learning experience. I'm glad I tried all the different models I did before I found a few I could live with, even if it did cost me (both financially and psychologically--I was starting to feel like I would never find something I liked, and as this whole process took months in the end I was really missing my music).

The most important thing I learned, though, is that there are priorities in life. My friends decided to surprise me and come visit me on my birthday right around that time. I spent the better part of the day going back to my M50 (which in my absence was playing pink noise--I believed in burn in at that point, you see), hoping against hope something had changed. It hadn't, and at some point afterward it dawned on me that rather than sticking headphones on and blocking out the world, I should have spent more time with my friends that day.

Jun 13, 2013 at 6:57 AM Post #3,564 of 12,548
???

I have 990pro and can't say I have ever noticed that oxymoron . Try some EQ maybe.

As for as sibilance, it is in the recording and the 990 just shows it up more than most other headphones, if there is no sibilance in the recording you won't hear any. It isn't the headphone actually causing it. But I would prefer the highs to be a bit rolled off to avoid it so I will concede it can be a weak point but on a good classical recording it is also a strong point.

BTW, where can I get myself 600oHM 880 in Canada that sells online at a decent price?

You can try Planet Of Sound, but you can always get the 250 Ohm Version cheaper somewhere else.

Jun 13, 2013 at 1:37 PM Post #3,565 of 12,548
I found out amazon.ca has a source for 600oHM  models @ $349.99 CAD but shipped out of the USA via Fedex so probably add $20.00 for shipping. I have tube amp so want 600oHM for sure. Thx.

http://www.amazon.ca/Beyerdynamic-880-Premium-600-Headphones/dp/B0024NK35S/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1371079294&sr=8-4&keywords=Beyerdynamics+DT880

Jun 13, 2013 at 5:36 PM Post #3,566 of 12,548
I've asked this on the Aune T1 thread but just wanted a wider user opinion on the matter. In terms of overall sound quality, would the 600 Ohm Premiums sound better than the Pros when paired with the Aune T1? The price difference is almost negligible.

Jun 13, 2013 at 5:57 PM Post #3,567 of 12,548
Quote:
I've asked this on the Aune T1 thread but just wanted a wider user opinion on the matter. In terms of overall sound quality, would the 600 Ohm Premiums sound better than the Pros when paired with the Aune T1? The price difference is almost negligible.

It just depends on the output impedance of the T1. Its a hybrid tube amp so it might have somewhat high output impedance. However, if its not super high and you want to be able to connect to other devices as well, the 250 ohm version might be better.

Anyone know what the output impedance is on the Aune T1?

Jun 13, 2013 at 6:05 PM Post #3,568 of 12,548
Quote:
Quote:

It just depends on the output impedance of the T1. Its a hybrid tube amp so it might have somewhat high output impedance. However, if its not super high and you want to be able to connect to other devices as well, the 250 ohm version might be better.

Anyone know what the output impedance is on the Aune T1?

On the main website it says that it is 10 Ohms.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back