The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Jun 6, 2013 at 7:32 PM Post #3,497 of 12,546
Quote:
So the HD280 does have that sub bass bump. I've seen that feature in a few frequency plots for it and wondered if it was some sort of measuring aberration, since I've never seen anything quite like that in any other headphone.

I can assure you the DT880 has no such sub bass boost. It does have good bass extension, though--you just have to feed it the right material. I didn't really unearth it until I listened to some well recorded organ music, though some electronic stuff offers hints at its presence. It seems to come out of nowhere. It's not loud or overpowering, per se--it's just there, in exactly the right proportion, IMO, to fit in with the mix. This is exactly what extension should be.

If you're EQ'ing in more upper mids and treble, I think the DT880 should be right up your street. There is a peak between 5 and 6 kHz that is responsible for a lot of the claims of brightness in this headphone*, but also contributes to its reputation for clarity. It can result in hyped up sibilance in poor recordings, but otherwise it's fairly benign.

I've tried out the Barbershop video before and found it quite eerie. It's difficult to describe how far outside the head the sounds seem to be with the DT880. I wouldn't say it's entirely convincing, but it's a lot closer than I've gotten with anything else I've tried. At some point you run into the limitations of the binaural format itself, which would only sound "correct" with a perfectly flat signal (pretty much impossible to achieve with headphones) and if your head and ears were exactly the same size and shape as those of the dummy head used to make the recording. I noticed that the sense of distance seemed to diminish for sounds coming from directly ahead and behind. Of course this might well vary from person to person based on the considerations above.

*Not the stuff around 8kHz, incidentally, which appears to be ear canal resonance and which varies in frequency center and magnitude for each person but which will always be present for every headphone worn. My own ear canal resonance is 6dB at 7660 Hz, and I have a parametric EQ curve set up to compensate. Most of the dummy heads I've seen measurements from have resonance at around 8-9 kHz.

I've owned the HD280s for over 2 years and bought my DT880s about 6 months ago. The HD280s have an emphasis on sub-bass extension and treble. The mids and vocals can sound "closed-in" or "recessed" if I were to choose some accurate words. I find the HD280s more entertaining for songs in the hip-hop and electronic genre because of the "subwoofer" sound that they make because they are closed. I prefer my DT880s for ambient, rock, alt, indie, jazz, classical, most of my electronic, and sometimes hip-hop. The DT880s are much more well-rounded headphones while the HD280s give that "club sound" which is somewhat closed-in and has that huge bass slam. I still love my HD280s and even bothered to do the blue tack mod to them.

However, the HD280s are still no match for sounding "accurate" to the recording. Anyone who says the HD280s are neutral must have a different pair that was made differently because they are on the dark side of neutral with an emphasis on bass. I guess if you don't bother to EQ the HD280s they will sound completely flat. But, they are not neutral headphones that is a FACT. I've owned them for 2 years before hearing the sound of my DT880s so I now know what neutral and analytical is. My HD280s used to have barely any soundstage at all before I upgraded to my Asgard 2. The soundstage opened up a tad bit, but still sounds like you're in a box or a small room while the DT880s recreate the environment that the sound was recorded in.

So here's the gist: HD280s = bass, hip-hop, reggae, dubstep, club music. DT880s = just about everything

Jun 7, 2013 at 2:48 AM Post #3,498 of 12,546
I may end up getting to listen to these all weekend, hopefully!
Thanks for your comparison, that helps me a lot
biggrin.gif

Edit: Even though the headphones are only 20 miles over, they say they won't get here until Monday.. Weird.

Jun 7, 2013 at 3:04 AM Post #3,499 of 12,546
Quote:
I may end up getting to listen to these all weekend, hopefully!
Thanks for your comparison, that helps me a lot
biggrin.gif

Edit: Even though the headphones are only 20 miles over, they say they won't get here until Monday.. Weird.

I hate that when that happens. I mean, I could just drive over and pick the package up myself (actually, could I? I don't even know how that works), but instead I have to wait because of the weekend. Or because the shipping window says 3-5 days and the thing has made it there early so they figure they can let it sit a few days.

Jun 7, 2013 at 6:44 AM Post #3,500 of 12,546
Quote:
This could be a very risky mod, do you know of anyone that does this type of mod?

Yes indeed check with Brian @ BTG Audio.
http://btg-audio.webs.com

Jun 7, 2013 at 5:17 PM Post #3,501 of 12,546
Quote:

I hate that when that happens. I mean, I could just drive over and pick the package up myself (actually, could I? I don't even know how that works), but instead I have to wait because of the weekend. Or because the shipping window says 3-5 days and the thing has made it there early so they figure they can let it sit a few days.

With both UPS and FedEx I have gone to their local warehouse to pickup packages when I wasn't home to sign for them. If they show in the tracking that they are at the last location before being delivered then you should be able to go there and pick them up. Just give them a call.

Jun 7, 2013 at 5:33 PM Post #3,502 of 12,546
I've had these headphones for about a year and a half now (the 250 Ohm Premium editions) thanks to the recommendations of people on this forum. I really like them. I'm currently looking for a good amp and DAC to go with them now that I have my gaming PC set up.

Jun 7, 2013 at 9:53 PM Post #3,504 of 12,546
Quote:
They didn't show up today, even though they were right next to me. I'm going to be pretty sad if they aren't here tomorrow
frown.gif

Well, they leak quite a bit of sound. Maybe you should call up whoever's delivering the shipment and tell them to plug 'em in. You might be able to hear them! 
biggrin.gif

Jun 8, 2013 at 2:33 AM Post #3,506 of 12,546
my first pair headphones, so no reference point to compare them with, but i read on the 'battle of flagship' thread that these were awarded a+ rating and were about within my budget so i forked over the cash. they're ok. comfortable but sound just ok. not great.

Jun 8, 2013 at 2:33 AM Post #3,507 of 12,546
Hey guys, I got the HD600 and looking for something that sounds very different and someone suggested Beyerdynamic Dt880.  Just curious what's the difference between 250 ohm premium and 250 ohm pro?  The pros are $219 on Amazon now and premium is $350.  If I like all genres and want something very different than the HD600s but still just as good or better sound quality, is the Beyerdynamic Dt880 right for me?  Also can the fiio 17+e9 do the job of powering this baby?

Jun 8, 2013 at 3:41 AM Post #3,508 of 12,546
The clamp force and the coiled cable is the difference, also that there might be easier to get spare parts for the pro, at least where I live. And yes the fiio combo can power it enough.

When the diference is that much in $ I would get the pro. For some reason the pro costs more than normal version here.

Jun 8, 2013 at 3:48 AM Post #3,509 of 12,546
Quote:
The clamp force and the coiled cable is the difference, also that there might be easier to get spare parts for the pro, at least where I live. And yes the fiio combo can power it enough.

When the diference is that much in $ I would get the pro. For some reason the pro costs more than normal version here.

Do the DT 880 250ohms sound very different than the HD600s?

Jun 8, 2013 at 4:18 AM Post #3,510 of 12,546
Quote:
Do the DT 880 250ohms sound very different than the HD600s?

I've read a review from another member stating that the DT880s and HD600s both share a somewhat similar neutral signature (with DT880s being slightly brighter and HD600s being slightly darker), and didn't recommend owning both.  He said that the DT880s and HD650s complement each other better are they are more different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back