The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
May 23, 2013 at 8:10 PM Post #3,422 of 12,548
Hey, I think you were thinking about getting the La Figaro 336C for your DT880s?

That's what I use, love it!

Thanks Chris J for another vote on the 336c. It's a great looking amp and in my price range, just got to convince the wife that this will look great in the living room... And I am working on that part... :D

May 23, 2013 at 8:18 PM Post #3,423 of 12,548
Quote:
What tubes are you running? I'm running chatham 2399 and a tung sol 6sn7gtb. I got a Sylvania bad but coming in.

Vacuum Tubes!

May 23, 2013 at 8:24 PM Post #3,424 of 12,548
Quote:
What tubes are you running? I'm running chatham 2399 and a tung sol 6sn7gtb. I got a Sylvania bad but coming in.

OK, the answer is...............it depends!

Sometimes Sylvania 6SN7, sometimes KenRad VT-231.
Sometimes the Svetlana 6H13C, or a Tungsol 6080WA.

May 23, 2013 at 9:16 PM Post #3,425 of 12,548
I don't like buying things used, sorry.
redface.gif

May 23, 2013 at 9:18 PM Post #3,426 of 12,548
Quote:
Thanks Chris J for another vote on the 336c. It's a great looking amp and in my price range, just got to convince the wife that this will look great in the living room... And I am working on that part...
biggrin.gif

Way easier to ask for forgiveness than it is to ask for permission, wives always say no, or they say yes in such a way that you know it actually a no.

May 23, 2013 at 9:19 PM Post #3,427 of 12,548
Quote:
I don't like buying things used, sorry.
redface.gif

You must have lots of extra money, I'm envious, I always have to watch my bottom line in this hobby. If only ...

May 23, 2013 at 9:27 PM Post #3,428 of 12,548
Quote:

You must have lots of extra money, I'm envious, I always have to watch my bottom line in this hobby. If only ...

Well I'm actually still a high school student, soon to be a college student, so I don't really have much money. But seeing as I just got tons and tons of graduation money that I don't have anything to use on... Plus I just can't stand the idea of owning someone else's headphones.

May 23, 2013 at 9:40 PM Post #3,429 of 12,548
Quote:
Way easier to ask for forgiveness than it is to ask for permission, wives always say no, or they say yes in such a way that you know it actually a no.

True Dat!

May 24, 2013 at 12:29 AM Post #3,430 of 12,548
After having spent my time and money with only uncomfortable headphones, I don't think I'll be pretty happy with the Q701s comfort (bumps) anymore... I think I have to go for the DT880s now (I was already going for these, though).

Edit: Does anyone know why innerfidelity hasn't reviewed these yet? I find that rather strange.

May 24, 2013 at 9:47 PM Post #3,431 of 12,548
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

First of all, they were diodes, not resisitors, and measurements with a multimeter confirms they are 600 ohm drivers, although the original right driver measures 598 ohms, and the new driver measures 650 ohms with or without the diodes.  I emailed Beyerdymanic-USA, Krysta did not have the answer and Rob is out this week, but she said she will get me an answer ASAP, I will post when I get an answer.

Does anyone on this forum know what the diodes are used for?

In the DT880 recable thread user @fallenangel said throw the diodes away, not needed......but there must be a reason for them!

Protection circuit, my Manufaktur 600Ohm doesn't have any.
tongue.gif

More info http://www.head-fi.org/t/417728/diodes-inside-dt770

Thanks for the responese and the link......makes sense I guess.  I took them off, and the DT880's sound fine.  I was concerned that the old right driver read 598 ohms, and this new driver reads 650 ohms with my Fluke DVM....is that enough difference to cause imbalance between channels.....can't hear any, but my ears may not be the best!

Found my own answer on this one.  I contacted Beyerdynamic-USA & Peter Castelli at The Sound Surgeon, Inc.  I explained the difference in my readings, and asked if the new driver was out of tolerance....and it was.  I was sent a new driver that reads 602 ohms, replaced the 650 ohm driver, and I couldn't believe my ears.  Sound was now balanced from left to right ear, with vocal centered perfectly, I now hear the detail in the left channel like it should sound.  Somthing to channel imbalance with the margin of resistance so far apart with the driver out of spec!

May 24, 2013 at 10:09 PM Post #3,432 of 12,548
Quote:

Found my own answer on this one.  I contacted Beyerdynamic-USA & Peter Castelli at The Sound Surgeon, Inc.  I explained the difference in my readings, and asked if the new driver was out of tolerance....and it was.  I was sent a new driver that reads 602 ohms, replaced the 650 ohm driver, and I couldn't believe my ears.  Sound was now balanced from left to right ear, with vocal centered perfectly, I now hear the detail in the left channel like it should sound.  Somthing to channel imbalance with the margin of resistance so far apart with the driver out of spec!

Thanks for confirming this, I was very suspicious myself that such substantial impedance difference can not cause any audible anomalies.

Beats me why Sennheiser, another German company, can perfectly match their drivers and anything from Beyerdynamic is always a toss.

May 25, 2013 at 2:14 PM Post #3,434 of 12,548
Hiya,

I ordered the 880s in 32 so that I could use them without an amp occasionally--but I'd like to run them with an amp most of the time.

I'm thinking of the Grant Fidelity DAC-11, which seems to offer a lot at a good pricepoint, but the only way I can use its tube is through the rear RCA outputs, which GF's site says require high impedance cans. What I'm hearing from the GF people is "it depends on the cans" and that's not very helpful.

Does anybody have experience or advice on the DAC-11 / 880/32 combination?

Thanks in advance.

May 25, 2013 at 3:18 PM Post #3,435 of 12,548
Ordered 600 ohm version. My HPamp is rated 2vrsm. Is it enough to drive? It has 16db gaun.

Is it 2 Volts rms maximum output?

What kind of headphone amp is it?

I have an iBasso D12,and it's kind of marginal for driving 600 Ohm headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back