The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Apr 12, 2013 at 12:25 PM Post #3,121 of 12,546
Quote:
Now I don't have to feel like I'm peeking over the fence cause I only have the lowly Pro's...
redface.gif

This thread I believe needs more pictures as well!

beerchug.gif

They look excellent to me!

Nice amp and DAC BTW, that's what I use in the home office.

Apr 12, 2013 at 12:43 PM Post #3,122 of 12,546
Thanks Chris J!

For the price and features the E17 / E09K combo is a good deal. 
biggrin.gif

Apr 12, 2013 at 4:37 PM Post #3,123 of 12,546
Quote:
Thanks Chris J!

For the price and features the E17 / E09K combo is a good deal. 
biggrin.gif

Canadian, eh?
I live 1 hour outside Toronto.

I've been out east a few times, NB, NS, PEI, NFLD, very nice, I like it!

Apr 12, 2013 at 6:23 PM Post #3,124 of 12,546
Canada yes indeed!
I lived in the centre of the universe (T Dot) for 27 years, grew up in the Lakeshore, Rexdale before it became 'da Hood' and in Downsview.
The X was from Newmarket and we bailed out for Down East Bai's when my daughter was born in '89. I've been back a few times, I don't know if I could take the pace again, but I sure do miss the convenience of a metropolis though, as there is not a Jewish Deli or Italian Sandwich shop anywhere to be found down here...

They sit for a half an hour in traffic here and the world just about comes to an end, I tell them about sitting on the DVP or the 401 in 9 lanes of bumper to bumper for 3 hours and the mouth's all drop open.
biggrin.gif
"I don't know how anybody could live there...", I say it's different when you grow up with it. Ahhh the good life of a Big city, I miss all the ethnicity of Toronto, any time of the day or night you can find food from 30 different cultures.

Unfortunately there is only ONE Audio Shop that carries Headphones down here, and their prices are $50 to $75 over retail, but they carry all high end audio stuff... Sigh... just what is one to do?
biggrin.gif
I hear they dicker and do sell HiFiMan so I'll have to price up an HE-400 or 500 from them down the road.

If your ever heading down to the East Coast again, let me know. It's always great to put a face to a name!
Nova Scotia is nice, but we had a cottage in Fenelon Falls ``The Jewel of the Kawartha's`` growing up so I am sort of jaded.
dt880smile.png

Apr 12, 2013 at 6:44 PM Post #3,125 of 12,546
Quote:
Canada yes indeed!
I lived in the centre of the universe (T Dot) for 27 years, grew up in the Lakeshore, Rexdale before it became 'da Hood' and in Downsview.
The X was from Newmarket and we bailed out for Down East Bai's when my daughter was born in '89. I've been back a few times, I don't know if I could take the pace again, but I sure do miss the convenience of a metropolis though, as there is not a Jewish Deli or Italian Sandwich shop anywhere to be found down here...

They sit for a half an hour in traffic here and the world just about comes to an end, I tell them about sitting on the DVP or the 401 in 9 lanes of bumper to bumper for 3 hours and the mouth's all drop open.
biggrin.gif
"I don't know how anybody could live there...", I say it's different when you grow up with it. Ahhh the good life of a Big city, I miss all the ethnicity of Toronto, any time of the day or night you can find food from 30 different cultures.

Unfortunately there is only ONE Audio Shop that carries Headphones down here, and their prices are $50 to $75 over retail, but they carry all high end audio stuff... Sigh... just what is one to do?
biggrin.gif
I hear they dicker and do sell HiFiMan so I'll have to price up an HE-400 or 500 from them down the road.

If your ever heading down to the East Coast again, let me know. It's always great to put a face to a name!
Nova Scotia is nice, but we had a cottage in Fenelon Falls ``The Jewel of the Kawartha's`` growing up so I am sort of jaded.
dt880smile.png

Hey, cool!
If you're ever in the Brantford neighbourhood, let me know!

Too bad about the local headphone shop, you'd think they would drop their prices anyway, I guess they haven't heard of the Internet?

OTOH, there is a shop in TO that sells ATH-ESW9 for approx 4 hundred, but you can buy them from Amazon for approx $250 so what's up with that?.

Apr 12, 2013 at 9:18 PM Post #3,126 of 12,546
I just got these and have been comparing them to the HE400s for the last few hours.  I like the upper mids better on the Beyers, but overall I prefer the HE400s still.  Some songs do sound better on the Beyers because the lows seem overemphasized on the HE400s.  The Beyers are definitely more comfortable.

Edit to say that these are the 600Ohm premium version and I was listening to everything on a O2/ODAC, foobar WASAPI FLAC 16 bit and 24 bit.

Apr 12, 2013 at 9:20 PM Post #3,127 of 12,546
The HE-400s don't even compare to Beyers for comfort. IMO the HE-400s are like wearing a vice with a brick on top, whereas the Beyers are like wearing a halo. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 13, 2013 at 12:00 AM Post #3,128 of 12,546
Quote:

Hey, cool!
If you're ever in the Brantford neighbourhood, let me know!

Too bad about the local headphone shop, you'd think they would drop their prices anyway, I guess they haven't heard of the Internet?

OTOH, there is a shop in TO that sells ATH-ESW9 for approx 4 hundred, but you can buy them from Amazon for approx $250 so what's up with that?.

Will do for sure! Yeah local shops... Thankfully we have good ole B&H to send us toys over the border, unfortunately they can't ship Senn's or Grado's here but I'll not muddy up this fine DT880 thread with heresy...
biggrin.gif

Apr 13, 2013 at 2:46 AM Post #3,129 of 12,546
Quote:
Now I don't have to feel like I'm peeking over the fence cause I only have the lowly Pro's...
redface.gif

This thread I believe needs more pictures as well!

beerchug.gif

Corsair are really branching out. I had no idea they made speakers. Do they sound decent?

The pros do have something going for them though, in their lack of those random metal tabs over the ends of the headband. I still can't work out what they're supposed to do.

Apr 13, 2013 at 3:51 AM Post #3,130 of 12,546
AFAIK those metal tabs serve no purpose. They're probably just aesthetic. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

The Pro's also have a tighter clamping force which I prefer. My 770 Premium 600 ohm are too loose now that I've broken them in. That was the main reason I went for the Pro's. Plus they look better than the Premiums IMO.

Apr 13, 2013 at 7:11 AM Post #3,131 of 12,546
Hello guys, I just got a question with my newly purchased DT880 Pro 250ohm version.

This headphone is just 3 days old, I noticed that on the 3rd day that I am using this and watching some live streaming online games and came to a point where I need to move the cables a bit so I can sit, watch and listen comfortably, it started to act strange like the left can does not produce sound where as the right can just continuously produces the sound from the video I'm watching.

This incident only happen when I moved the cables, probably I moved the cables with force but after moving the cables it started to work again. Now that I had this kind of incident, I am just afraid that it might become worse anytime soon. So out of curiosity, I tried to move the cables slowly from the point where it is connected on the left side of the can. While listening to a music, I started to shake  the cables up and down, left and right, and on circles with a slight force perfect enough to recreate this problem. Now my question is, should this happen on an expensive headphone like this? I have an audio technica m50 and I did not even experience this kind of problem that the left can stops from making sound then goes back to normal for some reason.

Hoping for your quick response.

Help!!! 
frown.gif

Apr 13, 2013 at 7:29 AM Post #3,132 of 12,546
Certainly should not be happening. But before you go further, try cleaning the headphone socket. Use rubbing alcohol + a cotton-wool bud. Prepare the bud by gently pulling the cotton as if you were pulling it off the end of the stick. When no more fibres come off easily, it's ready to use. This fixed a similar problem for me.

Apr 13, 2013 at 10:18 AM Post #3,133 of 12,546
Quote:

Corsair are really branching out. I had no idea they made speakers. Do they sound decent?

Hey askjeebs!

I've always lived in an apartment so basically speakers an I are pretty much strangers, which is why I am here at Head-Fi.
biggrin.gif

The Corsair SP2500 2.1 System  I won this setup in one of NCIX's "Subscribe & Win" monthly draws. (Thanks NCIX!)
To me they sound good, have a good deal of power for the size. the satellites have a serious weight to them, and I had to add on to my desk's lower shelf for the SUB to fit, it's massive for a computer speaker system. The satellites are bi-amped at 50 watts RMS each and 120 watts for the SUB, really too much for an apartment. A nice looking control pod with separate volume controls, input selection and DSP features.

This is Corsair's first and probably last venture into computer speaker's, these came out at the end of 2010.

The control pod screen went totally blank (white) for me and many others, this cost me just over 3 weeks waiting and shipping to get it replaced under warranty.
The Corsair support forum is full of people whose SUB has started to make this unique smell... Bad board components starting to overheat I suspect, mine has not done this yet as I don't drive mine like others might. Solution is to RMA the SUB back to Corsair @ 25Lbs... now that wouldn't cost anything to ship.
biggrin.gif

They released a Firmware updater for the control pod that failed partway through or just would not load for some, thankfully it didn't brick the pod, after a "workaround" to get it to update the pod the volume control now has a little jump spot in it where there needs to be an extra 2 volume steps inserted.

The DSP "Presets" are like those keys on some keyboards for "Mail / WWW / Search / Shopping" totally useless. They allow for no custom / user settings so mine stays Off / Netural.

1 pair of RCA inputs and 2 3.5mm inputs and have to be selected from the control pod wheel, "Click, Turn, Click Select, Turn, Click Select, Exit" inconvenient at best.

The headphone out jack on the pod itself gives you a Preset ``Headphone`` setting which can't be adjusted.

For the $250 retail price tag I`d look elsewhere... Since I won these I have no reason to complain, but if I was looking in for another system, the Edifier Line looks impressive to me.

Sorry, this is probably more than you wanted to know about these speakers, but forewarned is forearmed...
biggrin.gif

Apr 13, 2013 at 2:30 PM Post #3,134 of 12,546
Quote:
Hello guys, I just got a question with my newly purchased DT880 Pro 250ohm version.

This headphone is just 3 days old, I noticed that on the 3rd day that I am using this and watching some live streaming online games and came to a point where I need to move the cables a bit so I can sit, watch and listen comfortably, it started to act strange like the left can does not produce sound where as the right can just continuously produces the sound from the video I'm watching.

This incident only happen when I moved the cables, probably I moved the cables with force but after moving the cables it started to work again. Now that I had this kind of incident, I am just afraid that it might become worse anytime soon. So out of curiosity, I tried to move the cables slowly from the point where it is connected on the left side of the can. While listening to a music, I started to shake  the cables up and down, left and right, and on circles with a slight force perfect enough to recreate this problem. Now my question is, should this happen on an expensive headphone like this? I have an audio technica m50 and I did not even experience this kind of problem that the left can stops from making sound then goes back to normal for some reason.

Hoping for your quick response.

Help!!! 
frown.gif

That absolutely should not happen and Beyerdynamic will repair it for you if the cable or connections are bad. But bruce108 is right, you need to make sure its the headphones and not the jack you're plugging them into. Pinpoint the issue like you have and then use the headphones with another device to make sure the issue is still there.

Apr 15, 2013 at 5:15 AM Post #3,135 of 12,546
Dear DT880 users,

After reading tons of reviews on the DT880 and getting a tip here on Head-Fi that I might enjoy the DT880s if I find my HD598s a bit dull, I think I'm ready to order the DT880.
I'm really at a loss at which ones to buy though: the 250 or 600? They will be hooked up to a Fiio E10.

My main question would be: will the DT880 600 still give me awesome (=/= loud) sound with the Fiio E10 for the forseeable future until I might upgrade to a different amp (maybe half a year, maybe a year)? And if I were use the DT880 600 as an excuse to upgrade to a dedicated amp, would something like the Fiio E9 or E12 work? (I'm not loyal to Fiio at all, but they are quite cheap and widely available in my location).

Thanks for your collective knowledge!

Best,
Nic

Users who are viewing this thread

Back