The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Feb 14, 2013 at 9:49 AM Post #2,822 of 12,546
What is this SPIDF converter I keep hearing of? Do I need one?
tongue_smile.gif

Feb 14, 2013 at 10:14 AM Post #2,825 of 12,546
does your ODAC have SPDIF input? it usually allows for higher sampling rates...hence outputs higher quality signal to your amp.

did i get that right??

if so then getting a converter will allow you to input into the ODAC via SPDIF instead of USB

Feb 14, 2013 at 11:54 AM Post #2,826 of 12,546
Planning to buy the DT 880, 250 Ohm version.
Also I consider buying the O2/ODAC to go with them. Are they a good pairing for the 880?
I'm on a budget of 400 $ maximum for a dac and amp.
And, alternatively, would it be viable to pick the DT 880 600 Ohm with this budget for dac and amp? Meaning, would I lose any audio quality when I use the 600 Ohm version instead of the 250 Ohm version when paired with amp and dac within my budget?

Feb 14, 2013 at 12:36 PM Post #2,827 of 12,546
Quote:
NOS tubes are hell expensive aren't they?? what is the tube selection like on the La Figaro compared to the little dot MKIII? also, what genre of music do you listen to?

You can buy a NOS 6SN7 for the 336C for $20-30. They are very common.
You only need one the the 336C.

You also need one 6AS7 for the 336C, they are even cheaper. Again, it's a common NOS tube.

$40-60 worth of tubes and you're done! 

You can check out my musical tastes in my profile, but here goes anyway, some modern and classic rock, some pop, some jazz, some classical.
I don't like polka music!

Feb 14, 2013 at 4:14 PM Post #2,829 of 12,546
Quote:
does your ODAC have SPDIF input? it usually allows for higher sampling rates...hence outputs higher quality signal to your amp.

did i get that right??

if so then getting a converter will allow you to input into the ODAC via SPDIF instead of USB

ODAC doesn't support SPDIF.

Quote:
What is this SPIDF converter I keep hearing of? Do I need one?
tongue_smile.gif

You won't need it with your ODAC. But I'll bring an adapter (and a DAC that supports it) along so you can see how it's like.

Feb 20, 2013 at 11:15 PM Post #2,831 of 12,546
Man, one thing I love about the 600ohms is that you can EQ the sub bass up and it doesn't distort. Just drop everything by 6-12dB and push the lowest frequencies up a bit. The Lyr has plenty of head room so I'm not afraid of pushing it. It's jaw-dropping at times. I continue to find new love for these headphones. And that's on top of hearing new things in my music every single day. 
redface.gif

Feb 20, 2013 at 11:37 PM Post #2,832 of 12,546
Quote:
Man, one thing I love about the 600ohms is that you can EQ the sub bass up and it doesn't distort. Just drop everything by 6-12dB and push the lowest frequencies up a bit. The Lyr has plenty of head room so I'm not afraid of pushing it. It's jaw-dropping at times. I continue to find new love for these headphones. And that's on top of hearing new things in my music every single day. 
redface.gif

+1 with my DT880 Pros. I finally got around to doing some serious EQ'ing and I've been blown away by how versatile both the DT880 and HD600 are. You can EQ the shiz out of 'em and there's never any distortion or loss of overall tonal accuracy. Very impressive indeed. In hindsight I realized this is definitely something good studio cans should be able to do and the DT880 and HD600 definitely can. They're impressively versatile.

This is the EQ I've been using with my DT880 Pro the last couple of days. It's a work in progress obviously. I basically tried to flatten everything out and add a bit of sub-bass. Of course, just flattening out the bass would increase the sub-bass and yokken is right, you can EQ it all you want and it still sounds great.

Feb 21, 2013 at 8:42 PM Post #2,834 of 12,546
Enjoy sir :)

I'm listening to my DT880s on my E17 laying in bed and they actually aren't bad! Obviously not as good as on my Lyr, but definitely not disappointing. I think portable amps are just fine for the 600 ohm to be honest. They have the potential to sound even better with a better amp, but they perform just fine on the E17!

Edit: Almost 2 hours later and I am amazed! There is still so much detail with these, excellent soundstage and imaging, instrument separation isn't quite as good as with the Lyr but I'm honestly impressed right now. I'm loving the nice solid-state sound to this. The Lyr definitely warms them up and I love them like that, but I love the awesome analytical quality of SS amps. I'm convinced the E17 is decent enough to power the DT880s adequately. Now if they made an E17 with the E12 amp in it... that would be quite something. I'd pay $200 for that and sell my E17. I don't use the E17 very much anymore since I have the Lyr. But I'm so glad I kept it instead of selling it earlier.

In case you're wondering what song caused me to post this enthusiastic update, here it is!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back