The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Jan 28, 2013 at 7:24 AM Post #2,611 of 12,546
I think the DT880 has a more expansive soundstage, better imaging, instrument separation, that sort of thing. I posted this in the HD650 thread a few days ago...

I think they are fantastic complements to each other. The HD650 has richer vocals and a lush, comforting sound, whereas the DT880 is much more engaging, exciting and in my opinion, fun to listen to. The mids on the DT880/600 are actually very good in my opinion, almost on par with HD600s which I think are pretty much on par with HD650s. I could sing the praises of my DT880 all day. I've found no fault with it. The 250ohm's vocals weren't as good and I feared the 600ohm would suffer the same fate. I couldn't have been more wrong. They are just fantastic. But be warned, you might forget your HD650s exist for a while.... 
redface.gif

Both are great, but I find the DT880 to be more exciting.

Jan 28, 2013 at 10:53 AM Post #2,614 of 12,546
Quote:
All I can say is after owning both (HD650/DT880) for almost a year now (HD650 4 years), I am glad I dont have to try and pick one over the other. One day I think one is better the next its the opposite. 

That cleared my problems haha:) Don't know though if I should pay the 200$ extra and get HE500's or go for the HD650's or the DT880's, I'm so confused ;(

Jan 28, 2013 at 1:04 PM Post #2,618 of 12,546
Not all are fan of the AKG sound, i prefer Sennheiser and Beyerdynamic over it by far. Maybe the AKG k702 and q701 was not very good synergized with the amp when I tried. Right now im listening to some Infected Mushroom, and one thing for sure is that the dt880 is perfect for it. Not been any genre of music I have felt is not good with the DT880. I really want an HD650 in the future when the money is there for me, but first I will get the Mad Dog to check what all the rave is about. Need a good closed can for home aswell, sold the AKG K550 I owned as it was boring sounding for me(dont take it as I hated them they had good sound but overall it felt boring compared to my other stuff).

Jan 28, 2013 at 1:10 PM Post #2,619 of 12,546
Duuuude... the DT880s were meant for Infected Mushroom. It's like they were designed with that music in mind. They're perfect.

Jan 28, 2013 at 4:57 PM Post #2,620 of 12,546
Got my DT880 Pros today and they are as great as I expected them to be. I kept telling myself that they would seem bass shy in the beginning because I've been using my DT770/600 for a couple weeks which is definitely a "bass-heavy" 770 for those of you familiar with how different the 770s can sometimes be (I had an identical DT770/600 that I gave to my dad that has a lot less bass and is more sibilant). Sure enough my first thought was that they didn't have enough bass. Haha, how quickly I forget. I'll get used to it.

The one thing that surprised me right away is that although the highs don't sound any brighter than my DT770 (possibly even less bright) I still get more detail in the highs and a lot more detail all around. This is the first headphone I've had that competes with my HD600 on detail retrieval and probably even beats it if only thanks to the elevated treble which causes buzzes, clicks, fingers hitting piano keys, picks hitting guitar strings, etc, to be even more apparent.

They seem to be a little less efficient compared to the HD600. I can use the same volume level I use for my DT770/600 without it being too loud which was surprising.

They have the same tonal accuracy as my 770s which is a good thing and comparable to the HD600. They are little more lush sounding than the HD600 though. They seem slower to me, compared to the HD600, but I think that's just the bass. Overall the 880s are indeed very good, as you all know, and are easily superior to everything I have besides the HD600.

This will most likely get as much or more head time as my HD600 which is a first for me. Nothing else I've bought has prevented me from eventually just reaching for the HD600 instead because of their superior performance. This 880 might just become my new goto can. And now that I finally have one I can focus on the HE-500 or LCD2... I still haven't decided which one to get (first). :wink:

Jan 28, 2013 at 5:06 PM Post #2,621 of 12,546
Quote:
Duuuude... the DT880s were meant for Infected Mushroom. It's like they were designed with that music in mind. They're perfect.

Agree wholeheartedly. Trance, IDM, psychotic trance: these are the realm of the DT880. The fact that the DT880 does most genres well is a plus, but dear me, a better Trance headphone there may not be - that is unless you prefer massive dubstep style bass (which I think gets in the way of fast trance).

Jan 28, 2013 at 8:18 PM Post #2,623 of 12,546
Quote:
They have the same tonal accuracy as my 770s which is a good thing and comparable to the HD600. They are little more lush sounding than the HD600 though. They seem slower to me, compared to the HD600, but I think that's just the bass. Overall the 880s are indeed very good, as you all know, and are easily superior to everything I have besides the HD600.

You really think HD600s are less lush sounding than the DT880s? Wow... that's a first. Slower than the HD600?s????? That's a first as well! Give them 50 hours to open up and I guarantee you'll change your mind. They are quick m-f'in headphones. They keep up with everything I throw at them. Compared to my Custom One Pros which noticeably lag behind on a lot of music... yeah. Compared to my HD650s which aren't slow by any means, but the DT880s really blow everything out of the water. Except planar cans, obviously those are going to be quicker. My HE400s were very articulate. But seriously, put some burn-in on those bad boys... it won't change it drastically but I truly believe there is always something new to hear from the DT880s. They always have tricks up their sleeve.

Jan 28, 2013 at 8:33 PM Post #2,624 of 12,546
Quote:
You really think HD600s are less lush sounding than the DT880s? Wow... that's a first. Slower than the HD600?s????? That's a first as well! Give them 50 hours to open up and I guarantee you'll change your mind. They are quick m-f'in headphones. They keep up with everything I throw at them. Compared to my Custom One Pros which noticeably lag behind on a lot of music... yeah. Compared to my HD650s which aren't slow by any means, but the DT880s really blow everything out of the water. Except planar cans, obviously those are going to be quicker. My HE400s were very articulate. But seriously, put some burn-in on those bad boys... it won't change it drastically but I truly believe there is always something new to hear from the DT880s. They always have tricks up their sleeve.

Yeah that's why I said I think its just the bass that gave me the impression of slowness in the beginning. The low end is definitely slower which I expected, its the same as my 770/Premium/600's bass just with a whole lot less quantity. In every other way the 880 is faster, I agree.

I may be using the wrong word when I say "lush", maybe... I'm not referring so much to the mids and that word is probably used a lot in reference to mids. Obviously the mids on the 600s are super lush and are far superior to the 880s. Overall though I feel like there's a lushness compared to the HD600. I feel the same about my 770s. I wouldn't say the 600s are 'dry' or 'anemic' but there's a liveliness about the 880s that is slightly superior to the 600s IMO. Maybe its just the smoother treble...

I'll definitely have to give them more time and I'll have a more accurate description and better frames of reference down the road I just felt like posting some initial impressions because right away I really liked them and was quite impressed.

I know what you mean about always having something new to learn from the 880s, that's how its been with my HD600s and I can already tell these will be the same way if not more so. This should be fun. 
biggrin.gif

EDIT: I think instead of 'lush' I should have maybe said 'liquid'. Not sure. Need more time. These are awesome...

Jan 28, 2013 at 9:38 PM Post #2,625 of 12,546
I think the HD600s are a bit dry sounding. I liked their sound a lot but it wasn't particularly exciting. The DT880s in comparison are like, CMON GET UP! LET'S BUMP THIS ISH! UNCE UNCE UNCE UNCE D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D BWAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! It's the best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back