The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Jan 27, 2013 at 7:50 PM Post #2,596 of 12,546
Got mine a couple of months ago for $233 used from an amazon re-seller.  They work just fine.

Jan 27, 2013 at 8:13 PM Post #2,597 of 12,546
Honestly I think it went pretty low around the holidays, now they jack it back up for a while. It'll probably go down sometime in Feb/March. Just keep an eye on it! Also make sure to check Ebay. RazorDogDeals always has them up for $349 but you can make an offer. I'd be surprised if you couldn't snag one for $280 from him.

Jan 27, 2013 at 8:28 PM Post #2,598 of 12,546
Quote:
Honestly I think it went pretty low around the holidays, now they jack it back up for a while. It'll probably go down sometime in Feb/March. Just keep an eye on it! Also make sure to check Ebay. RazorDogDeals always has them up for $349 but you can make an offer. I'd be surprised if you couldn't snag one for $280 from him.

Feb or March?? Darn, was hoping a lot sooner.. 

Jan 28, 2013 at 3:33 AM Post #2,600 of 12,546
Quote:
How does the DT880 600Ohm compare the the Sennheiser HD650?

They are great cans both of them. I have a HD650 and my brother has a DT880. Senns have a juicier sound, colored (in a good way) and very effortless presentation. Beyer is very natural sounding, with great bass and treble but somewhat recessed mids (IMO), I really like to listen to both of these cans. I think that classical music sounds better through DT880. DT880 is all in all a better all-arounder and if you are pushed to choose only one can then it is best to go with DT880. The best would be to have both :)

Jan 28, 2013 at 3:41 AM Post #2,601 of 12,546
Quote:
They are great cans both of them. I have a HD650 and my brother has a DT880. Senns have a juicier sound, colored (in a good way) and very effortless presentation. Beyer is very natural sounding, with great bass and treble but somewhat recessed mids (IMO), I really like to listen to both of these cans. I think that classical music sounds better through DT880. DT880 is all in all a better all-arounder and if you are pushed to choose only one can then it is best to go with DT880. The best would be to have both :)

Haha yeah hard choice, might after go for the Senns's HD650 now because they are so cheap and later on add on DT880's to the collection. I wanted to get the DT's when they were 230$ on amazon (the 600Ohm ones) but since the price increased I might just go for the HD650's because in general they perform a bit better with rock from what I have heard. Thanks!

Jan 28, 2013 at 3:41 AM Post #2,602 of 12,546
Actually - IMO if you wanted something between the the HD650 and DT880, I'd go HD600.  But like muxamed says above - best is to get both (for me its the HD600 and DT880 though).

Jan 28, 2013 at 3:44 AM Post #2,603 of 12,546
Quote:
Actually - IMO if you wanted something between the the HD650 and DT880, I'd go HD600.  But like muxamed says above - best is to get both (for me its the HD600 and DT880 though).

True the HD600 sounds more neutral than the HD650 as the HD650 has a bit darker and I guess you could say juicier sound. Simply because of the fact that sometimes I want to listen to techno music  I would prefer a bit more bass in which case the HD650's have more bass than the HD600's. Anyway what is the difference in the beyer headphones between PRO and PREMIUM?

Jan 28, 2013 at 3:51 AM Post #2,604 of 12,546
Pro has a coiled cord and clamps a lot tighter.  Premium has much looser clamp and straight cord.  Pro only comes in 250ohm (AFAIK) - Premium comes in 32, 250 and 600 ohm.

Jan 28, 2013 at 3:52 AM Post #2,605 of 12,546
Quote:
True the HD600 sounds more neutral than the HD650 as the HD650 has a bit darker and I guess you could say juicier sound. Simply because of the fact that sometimes I want to listen to techno music  I would prefer a bit more bass in which case the HD650's have more bass than the HD600's. Anyway what is the difference in the beyer headphones between PRO and PREMIUM?

PROs are made for professional monitoring purposes with different external construction. Premiums are made for home use. It would be worth for you to take a look at DT990 Pro. They cost a lot less and sound almost as good
wink.gif

Jan 28, 2013 at 3:57 AM Post #2,606 of 12,546
Quote:

Agreed. The HD600 is a very good headphone, perhaps one of the best. I prefer the brighter sound of the DT880, but the mid-upper bass impact of the HD600 is funner to tap the foot to. 

Jan 28, 2013 at 4:15 AM Post #2,608 of 12,546
Quote:
"They cost a lot less and sound almost as good"

Almost?

^^ I see what you did there, anyway is there any performance difference between the Pro's and the Premiums? I am a noob in headphones still and would want to know if what I'm saying is correct, the HD650 has more and and a tiny bit larger soundstage and is better suited for rock. Please correct me if I'm wrong. How do the 990's compare the 880's, the 600ohm models?

Jan 28, 2013 at 7:22 AM Post #2,610 of 12,546
Quote:
^^ I see what you did there, anyway is there any performance difference between the Pro's and the Premiums? I am a noob in headphones still and would want to know if what I'm saying is correct, the HD650 has more and and a tiny bit larger soundstage and is better suited for rock. Please correct me if I'm wrong. How do the 990's compare the 880's, the 600ohm models?

Forgive me for saying so, but your post sounds like you've done what we all do from time to time: read too many opinions on forums like this and got yourself all confused. Half the things written here are rehashes of others' opinions, often about phones neither party has heard, but even if they had heard them it's only an opinion and only valid in one set of cirumstances, for one particular set of ears and with one lot of equipment and music choice. To ask to have confirmed a question iike "the HD650 has more and a tiny bit larger soundstage and is better suited for rock" is pointless. Even if someone answered in the affirmative, you would not know if that opinion was in any way valid for you. It's hard enough getting answers to straightforward questions like "Is the DT880 bright?" Some will say it's like the sun from 50 yards away; others will say it's not at all bright if matched with the right equipment. One thing I've discovered from reading this and other forums plus buying a lot of the equipment reviewed here is that my opinion of said equipment is often totally at odds with the reviews and comments--and we're talking 360 degrees. To try to pin down subtle details like "tiny bit larger soundstage"...you haven't got a hope. I'll give you a tip: the best way to find out about how headphones sound is to buy them, and the best way to do that without going broke is to buy used on Ebay or here on the forum. Virtually all my knowledge of headphones has come from buying them used, trying each one like Goldilocks and reselling the ones I didn't like, which is nearly all of them. I would offer that advice to all newbies. Or if you've got money, just buy the headphone you think you'll like best at the best price and take the loss if you have to resell.

Wow, I think I must be getting old and cranky or something. Or maybe I just shouldn't have stayed up this late.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back