The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Jun 26, 2012 at 11:59 PM Post #1,921 of 12,548
Quote:
Congrats on the DT880!

You find the T1 more aggressive? That's odd as their treble is more subdued than the DT880. Also the DT880, in my opinion, is a lot more picky with amps. The T1 just goes with the flow and sounds pretty good out of mostly anything. The DT880 can sound like poo on some gear or can even sound brighter, but I don't have this issue with the T1.

Also could you elaborate by what you mean as "more versatile"? Yet again that should be the T1 IMO.

I listen to a lot of electronic music, which could be a little aggresive in the treble. And the 880's have been  more musical with this type of music. Also I find that with some rock music that it also sounds less fatiguing. With that said the T1's make instruments sound more real and present them in a more realistic 3D soundstage that the 880's can't touch.

But maybe the brightness (like the above post states) could be due to driver variances.

Jun 27, 2012 at 4:43 AM Post #1,922 of 12,548
I've been comparing with different music tonight. T1's are definately better with acoustic music by far.

Jun 27, 2012 at 9:06 AM Post #1,923 of 12,548
It is too bad you couldn't get somebody to do some blind testing with you. You might now be hearing the better T1 sound because others here are saying you should. I'm not saying that is the case of course, how could I know that, but it is possible. Based on your initial assessment of the 880 it would seem logical that you would find acoustic music on the 880s better, or at least close to the T1. For me, I did hear the T1 at a meet, and I certainly did not hear any $1000 improvement in sound.

That said, I do need more time in my home with a set of T1s so once my Auditor finally arrives, I intend to borrow a friends T1 and actually spend some time. My first reaction to the T1 (through my chain and with my music at the meet) was that the treble really wasn't what I expected. It seemed awkward for lack of a better word. I don't want to call it harsh as that wouldn't be correct, but it just did not sound properly balanced to me, there was a certain quality to it that I can't describe well, but it just didn't seem as I thought it should. It is all so subjective isn't it?

Jun 27, 2012 at 9:53 AM Post #1,924 of 12,548
Quote:
Measuring headphones is hard work, measuring treble is even harder: 
smile.gif

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/expert-tests-innerfidelitys-headphone-measurement-repeatability-and-reproducibility

Oh, believe me, I appreciate that, and thanks for the article, it was really helpful. But even with the difficulties of repeatability, if a particular headphone has significant measurable variations between test samples, then you may not be getting the headphone you are expecting, and therefore it seems possible that Matrixnobu's observations could be valid. However, if the variations could be explained by the test methods (as painstaking as they are), then wouldn't all headphone models exhibit inconsistencies between test samples?

Jun 27, 2012 at 12:20 PM Post #1,925 of 12,548
Quote:
Matrixnobu said:

It's funny you should say that. Because that seems to be the consensus. And maybe why I'm finding that my T1's are a brighter than my 880's. When a lot of other people have stated the opposite. But I guess it could also be do to amping. Who knows.

Interesting observation,
There also seems to be different opinions on the DT880 vs. Q701.....which one is brighter?
For me, there is no contest, the Q701 is brighter.

Quote:
It is too bad you couldn't get somebody to do some blind testing with you. You might now be hearing the better T1 sound because others here are saying you should. I'm not saying that is the case of course, how could I know that, but it is possible. Based on your initial assessment of the 880 it would seem logical that you would find acoustic music on the 880s better, or at least close to the T1. For me, I did hear the T1 at a meet, and I certainly did not hear any $1000 improvement in sound.

That said, I do need more time in my home with a set of T1s so once my Auditor finally arrives, I intend to borrow a friends T1 and actually spend some time. My first reaction to the T1 (through my chain and with my music at the meet) was that the treble really wasn't what I expected. It seemed awkward for lack of a better word. I don't want to call it harsh as that wouldn't be correct, but it just did not sound properly balanced to me, there was a certain quality to it that I can't describe well, but it just didn't seem as I thought it should. It is all so subjective isn't it?

Yes, I think I know what you mean, I tried a pair of T1s and the treble didn't "feel" right to me.

Jun 27, 2012 at 9:16 PM Post #1,926 of 12,548
Quote:
Oh, believe me, I appreciate that, and thanks for the article, it was really helpful. But even with the difficulties of repeatability, if a particular headphone has significant measurable variations between test samples, then you may not be getting the headphone you are expecting, and therefore it seems possible that Matrixnobu's observations could be valid. However, if the variations could be explained by the test methods (as painstaking as they are), then wouldn't all headphone models exhibit inconsistencies between test samples?

Hard to extrapolate much when the exact same pair of headphones that were measured repeatedly varied over 7dB in the treble region? This I think is where some subjectivity comes in and .... gasp,...a listener has to actually listen to the headphones too. 
smile.gif

With regards to your second question, tough to say.

Jun 27, 2012 at 11:16 PM Post #1,927 of 12,548
Quote:

Hard to extrapolate much when the exact same pair of headphones that were measured repeatedly varied over 7dB in the treble region? This I think is where some subjectivity comes in and .... gasp,...a listener has to actually listen to the headphones too. 
smile.gif

With regards to your second question, tough to say.

Yeah, listening seems to be the only definitive answer. It is tough when timbral accuracy is important, and most pricey headphones are difficult to locate to demo. It is easier for me to take my chances with mid priced HP like the DT880, which I like.

Jun 27, 2012 at 11:35 PM Post #1,928 of 12,548
Quote:
Yeah, listening seems to be the only definitive answer. It is tough when timbral accuracy is important, and most pricey headphones are difficult to locate to demo. It is easier for me to take my chances with mid priced HP like the DT880, which I like.

Local meets are always a great way to hear a lot of gear too. 
smile.gif

Jun 28, 2012 at 6:30 AM Post #1,930 of 12,548
I think it is really dependant on what you listen to. I've been listening to Smashing Pumpkins
"Oceania" tonight and some songs sound better on the 880 like Inkless. But on some songs
the T1 gives you palpable sense of being in the studio. Like in Quasar.

But with my Electric Daisy Carnival DVD which is all electronic music. The 880's sound way
more musical. I forget that I have the headphones and just enjoy the music.

Jul 1, 2012 at 10:39 PM Post #1,931 of 12,548
My DT880's finally arrived and they are awesome!, my first high-end headphone and it is safe to say, this was money well spent. 
They sound superb, will have to give it some more listening to music, movies and games to make sure they are great. Not to mention they are so comfortable, its great!
Thanks to anyone who helped me with info :)

Jul 2, 2012 at 5:44 PM Post #1,932 of 12,548
I've got the 250 ohm, but I'm going to post about these anyway.

Can I just say how nice these are to listen to at low volumes?  I know a lot of headphones that completely lose their "sweet spot" when turned down, but these still manage to engage me regardless of how loud they are.  Not that I don't like to crank them up from time to time, but you have those days/evenings where you just need something mellow and the 880s do it surprisingly well despite their "bright" reputation.  Smooth, clean, and with plenty of impact to still feel the music.

Sorry...it's just been one of those days, and my 880s came to the rescue.  Couldn't help but post about it.  
beyersmile.png

Jul 2, 2012 at 6:21 PM Post #1,933 of 12,548
Sorry if this has already been covered in the prior 100+ pages, but can the 600 ohm version be driven satisfactorily by a typical AVR (I have a Marantz slimline receiver) or if I am going to use that would I be better off buying the 250 ohm version.

Jul 4, 2012 at 10:06 PM Post #1,934 of 12,548
hey everyone,

I have a Crack and have noticed that the 600ohm sound good with the dedicated headphone amp but if I plug it in my Marantz SR5004 stereo the headphones sound distorted.  Is this norrmal?

Thanks

Jul 4, 2012 at 10:48 PM Post #1,935 of 12,548
Hey Wully, that is not normal at all and I suspect something is going on with your receiver. I use my 880s with my Creek integrated and I have used them with several other non-headphone amps with no issue at all. If the Crack amp works well then it seems to strongly suggest it isn't the headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back