The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Jun 6, 2011 at 2:53 PM Post #1,276 of 12,546
I have to say that the DT880 600ohm is now my favorite headphone.  You can see the previous ones I've owned and up until now the ESW10JPN was my favorite but the 880 has replaced.

To clarify though, this is with the JMoney pads.  With the stock velour I found it a tad too high/bright but with these pads its perfection.  I'm listening to them through the HM801 as source and the KICAS Caliente as the amp. 

And this is just in regards to music listening.  When it comes to gaming these again are in another league of their own.  Love them!!!

Jun 6, 2011 at 4:17 PM Post #1,277 of 12,546
I got my DT880 today after loaning them to another member for a couple of weeks. They sound better than I expected with my dac/amp. My amp is getting a bit of a fix so won't have it until next week probably and then I'll see how it does with my amp then.

They definitely are really comfortable. I'm not sure about the J$ pads since I'm not too keen on spending that amount of money on pads but maybe eventually I'll grab a pair if I see them in FS or just want to try different pads and get them from headroom. The size of these is also smaller than I imagined since I expected them to be near the size of my HD600 but it is a good amount smaller.

Sound wise it is pretty much what I expected. I don't find it too bright but this type of signature is what I am used to. I'll need more time with them but so far it is pretty positive.

Jun 8, 2011 at 4:16 PM Post #1,278 of 12,546
Guess what arrived today?
AAh, i know i know, you know what :-D
New love, DT 880 / 600Ohm.

Let me express my first impressions in short :)
After i firstly put them on my head (had before Senns HD 555 & DT 770 Pro 80 Ohm) i noticed they are a bit heavier than DT 770 Pro, also headband is wider.
I have not so big head and headband pressure is not as strong as on 770's Pro, which pressure kept headphones on my head like they were glued.
So these sweethearts do not press that strong, plus the fact i have forks pulled out only + 1 step which is about 4 mm.
i am only getting used the their weight + weaker pressure so it feels like they are just hanging on the headband but they actually hold on my head pretty good.
just now, i do not feel headband on my head, only cups a bit, which is nice :)
Cable is thicker than i expected, it overcame my expectations.
Whole phones looks and feels solid and greatly manufactured.

Now to the sound.
as e-mu 0204 is still on the way and i still collect money for tube amp, i drive them now just via laptop 3.5mm output.
Surprisingly, 90% of laptop volume is enough fo me, TBH i expected them to be quieter.
So at least i can listen to them till i finish my audio-chain.
First thing that i let them play was Within Tempation live concert. Bad decision. Very bad. I was scared. Sad. No bass, and whole headphones felt whole time like unbalanced, right driver was slightly louder.
i was like #@<!
I told myself, What so expensive headphones, so many reviews i have read, i expected much more.
Plus the fact right driver was louder.
Depression, frustration.
Then i pushed into them Royksopp.(Nothing live)
Finally, better choice.
Now What? Sound is great, And strange thing. While Bass was perfectly balanced, mids and highs were still little right-shifted.
What?
Weird.
Then i let it be and went out with my girlfriend.
I was thinking whole time about imbalance, Bass mods, returning them etc etc.
I returned about between hour.
I Immediately put them on my head and let them reproduce Jeff Buckley
WHOA!
What a DIFFERENCE!
Perfectly balanced sound, Awesome soundstage, and bass was perfectly enough!
I couldnt believe what i am hearing.
Now i am just thinking, that i will probably experience eargasm when i will plug them into emu 0204 + tube amp (most likely LD MK IV), amp, that will wake them UP!
I will be torturing them during night with pink noise because highs are too sharp, some pink noise burning-in should calm them down.
So final words, Choose your first songs carefully, not like me :-D(on live performance there wont be as much detail and bass as on studio recordings and some recordings might be unbalanced.)
Yeah, one more thing.
I also tried some DnB, Beautiful Lies by B-Complex and bass shaked my head. So enough of bass :)
Now i am sooo happy, cant wait to have rest of my equipment and nightly listening sessions can start :-D
Well, they already started...today.

P.S.: Now playing another song from Jeff Buckley, and i feel like mids and highs are very slightly shifted to the right.
Is it my subconstious or i dont know.
I tried reference sounds from whole CDwith pink noise i found on another topic, and weird thing i noticed.
I started with low frequiences, and while playing constant bass, clearly i can hear right driver louder, it is overhelming left driver. But as frequency rises, differences are weak, and finally track 32 is first track where both drivers play equal loud, i.e. i hear the sound in the middle.

Can somebody explain this?
And any possible solution? (might probably need just burn-in?)
Its just weird. One song is OK, next one is slightly shifted to the left.
I am confused (and impulsive i know :-D)

Edit You wont believe what i just discovered!!!!
I run now videogame to check their performance in game, and i noticed sounds does not fit!
When tank was on my right side, i heard it in left driver. Weird, isnt it?
So i checked with that reference CD where are tracks which identifies channels and i was right!
Channels are swapped!
Right channel is sounding from left side and vice versa.
Hmm.....
Cable is Originaly on the right side, Where it says Right, but in reality it is left side.
I just flipped them to sound right, maybe this will affect / eliminate all my suspectations.
Have you ever heard about it?
Where should be originally be cable? on right side or on the left?
Now i have it on with cable on the left side, but headband says its right.
Changing headband parts which identify side isnt hard, I dont think it is reason for returning them, but is there anything else what cound be the problem?

Thanks for replies.
Regards,
Imp

Jun 9, 2011 at 2:19 AM Post #1,280 of 12,546

Quote:
headphone cables are always on the left side of the headphone

except the stock HD25-1
wink.gif

Jun 9, 2011 at 2:31 AM Post #1,281 of 12,546
Got my DT880 today from Drew @Moon Audio!

Gave them a first listen with an iPod to RSA Protector to DT880 (with Black Dragon cable) and the sound is....interesting.

First of all, let me say that the RSA Protector is not burned in at all, only 4 or so hours on it, and the headphones had 0 hours.

The sound was terrible.  The bass was overpowering and muddy, the mids were recessed, and the treble didn't sparkle.  I was slightly disappointed.  I gave them a good listen for about 15 minutes until I said, "these sound like crap," and put them down for burn in.

4 hours later, using a B-P-B-W-B+10min silence burn in file, I gave the system a second listen.  The bass has cleared up and it's much tighter.  Still a bit muddy.  We'll see.  The mids have definitely come forward more, probably a combination of the reduced bass and burn in.  And finally the treble was starting to peek it's head through. 

All in all, so far with only 6 hours or so, I'm happy.  We'll see in about 200 more hours what turns up!

Jun 9, 2011 at 3:10 AM Post #1,283 of 12,546
I agree with chinesekiwi, have never known Beyer to connect the cable to the right earcup.
Impulse: check your amp. Are you sure you connected the cables from your source (CD player, game console) in the correct order?

Jun 9, 2011 at 3:15 AM Post #1,284 of 12,546
Eric_C if you read my first, looong post (i know, long posts are boring) you would see i have no audio-chain yet.
Right now they are plugged into 3.5mm jack output at my laptop.
Nothing like channel reverse in windows, when i plug-in my 2.1 speakers, sound is right.
But when i plug-in my headphones back, and test channels, they are reversed.

But, as i am thinking about it, how would i know, on which side cable should be, if they are perfectly symmetrical?
I just flip them and voila, cable on the left, flip, cable on the right...
BTW check pictures i posted :)

Jun 9, 2011 at 3:26 AM Post #1,285 of 12,546

Hi Impulsive, I didn't read the long post, sorry. You are correct that there should be no mix-up on the source (laptop), since it is a 3.5mm jack.

What is written on the earcup of your 880, the side where the cable is?

Quote:
Eric_C if you read my first, looong post (i know, long posts are boring) you would see i have no audio-chain yet.
Right now they are plugged into 3.5mm jack output at my laptop.
Nothing like channel reverse in windows, when i plug-in my 2.1 speakers, sound is right.
But when i plug-in my headphones back, and test channels, they are reversed.

But, as i am thinking about it, how would i know, on which side cable should be, if they are perfectly symmetrical?
I just flip them and voila, cable on the left, flip, cable on the right...
BTW check pictures i posted :)

Jun 9, 2011 at 3:39 AM Post #1,286 of 12,546
Hello mate.
Nothing like that is set in laptop, because if i plug-in my speakers into 3.5mm jack, channels are OK.
But after connecting headphones, channels are swapped.
I am including now two photos of headphones i just took

Jun 9, 2011 at 10:18 AM Post #1,287 of 12,546
Impulsive, that is very very interesting. You might want to contact Beyerdynamic about it. Mostly, I'm starting to think that they put the piece with the L/R labels on the wrong side of the headphone. That's the manufacturing error I feel is most likely, rather than installing the cable in the wrong side. 

On a different note. I want to thank everybody who's posted in this thread, especially towards the beginning since I didn't have enough steam to read the whole thing. I'd been on the fence about getting a set of DT 880 600 ohm, but the experiences posted here have convinced me it is at least worth a try. 

My plan is to get them alone with a Little Dot MK III amp, and then probably a quality computer DAC somewhere down the line. From the people who posted here with that combo, it sounds like it will do very nicely and I am now super excited. Just have to put in some more hours at the old salt mine. I'll post my impressions in here when I get the setup. 

Jun 10, 2011 at 2:41 AM Post #1,289 of 12,546
I absolutely am in love with my DT880's, but the stock wire leaves a lot to be desired... it looks so thin.  Are these worth recabling with canare or mogami mini quad wire?

Jun 10, 2011 at 3:19 AM Post #1,290 of 12,546

Quote:
I absolutely am in love with my DT880's, but the stock wire leaves a lot to be desired... it looks so thin.  Are these worth recabling with canare or mogami mini quad wire?

Sound definitely improves with better wiring.  Heard both with and without a modified cable.  This is merely my opinion though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back