The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Apr 26, 2011 at 11:38 AM Post #1,232 of 12,546

Quote:
has anyone tried using the dt880s with the Schiit Lyr?

This is a great question. I have been reading about the wonders of the Lyr when paired with another great HP, and thought from the description that it might do well with the DT880.
The right toooobs could really mellow out the DT880's highs (bordering on stridence). That could create some amazing synergy.

Apr 26, 2011 at 6:24 PM Post #1,233 of 12,546

Quote:
This is a great question. I have been reading about the wonders of the Lyr when paired with another great HP, and thought from the description that it might do well with the DT880.
The right toooobs could really mellow out the DT880's highs (bordering on stridence). That could create some amazing synergy.

I spoke to Jason from Schiit and he prefers the Lyrd ths is what he said

Quote:
The Valhalla will be the more smooth and natural of the two (more tube-like, which, well, definitely makes sense, since it's all-tube). The Lyr turns up the dynamics and effortless presentation. Soundstaging on the Valhalla is a little better, but the Lyr is no slouch in that regard either.

Apr 30, 2011 at 3:48 PM Post #1,234 of 12,546
Let us know what you think of them, OK?

Also it's been a while since I posted in this thread so I think I shall come back. The compendium of DT series knowledge has returned at long last!!

Quote:
So I just ordered these from amazon. They should be here tomorrow. *school-girl squeel*

May 1, 2011 at 1:06 PM Post #1,235 of 12,546
I think I may have been given b-stock. The metal yokes holding each cup feel rough finish with a very distinct (non-beveled) cut along the side. I'm honestly a little scared of cutting my fingers when I go to adjust. Also I feel like they're panned right, improper impedance matching? Not much, just the equivalent of 97.5 Left, 100 Right if you were to fake it using a panner.

Sound-wise I can't comment much yet, I haven't spent more than 8 hours with them since they arrived. Way too busy with finals this week :mad: They have been burning in during this down time though so they'll be ready to go as soon as this week's over.

May 1, 2011 at 9:43 PM Post #1,236 of 12,546
I'll try and get a few macro shots of the metal's side textures if you guys wouldn't mind comparing to yours'. It just might take awhile, no camera + exams.

May 2, 2011 at 12:59 AM Post #1,237 of 12,546
Not sure if anyone here has this problem but the headband on my 880's is adjusted as long as it can be and it still doesn't quite fit my head. I can manipulate them a little and get my ears inside instead of resting on the pad but it's kind of annoying. I know I have a longish head but I've never had this problem with any other headphones I've owned. Any ideas? Can the headband be removed and lengthened or notches added?

May 2, 2011 at 1:43 AM Post #1,238 of 12,546
Not sure why they don't fit you right. I keep mine on the first notch or the second one and they are nice right there for me.

Quote:
Not sure if anyone here has this problem but the headband on my 880's is adjusted as long as it can be and it still doesn't quite fit my head. I can manipulate them a little and get my ears inside instead of resting on the pad but it's kind of annoying. I know I have a longish head but I've never had this problem with any other headphones I've owned. Any ideas? Can the headband be removed and lengthened or notches added?

May 5, 2011 at 12:32 AM Post #1,239 of 12,546
Recently, I spent more time with T1 than DT880.  And I just switched back to DT880 today.  I still enjoy it greatly especially with some "hotter" recording (ie too bright due to recording or content).  Some tracks in a certain soundtracks (such as The Curse of the Black Peral or Gladiator)  will sound too bright even with T1 and my Audio-GD combo.  But DT880 just glide through those tracks smoothly.  I really enjoy it with those tracks.

Certainly in direct comparison DT880 has less details, less accurate focusing, and recessed mid, etc. comparing to T1.  And I prefer T1 with classical music and vocal with more focused listening.  But it is still very enjoyable if I just dedicate a long session with it.  It is especially good for the relaxed long session listening.  Very comfortable to wear and very smooth to listen.

(I always wonder why people will use "edgy" "bright" "thin" to describe DT880.  It is totally opposite in my system.
wink.gif
)

May 19, 2011 at 2:13 PM Post #1,241 of 12,546
Question for you people commenting about the Amazon b-stock ones. Can you say something more about it? Cause I bought mine 2 months ago from Amazon  and they are going back to Beyerdynamics today cause I distinctly feel the channels are unbalanced. The image is slightly shifted to the left. Also the metal sides are sharp like somebody else said and they don't slide smoothly for regulation. Anybody else having problems with channel balance with these?

May 19, 2011 at 11:43 PM Post #1,242 of 12,546
All these terrible reports may direct people away from Amazon's used market...

I have owned three DT880 and none of them have sharp metal edges.  They are all smooth to touch.

And no channel imbalance with any.

May 20, 2011 at 7:24 AM Post #1,244 of 12,546

Quote:
Question for you people commenting about the Amazon b-stock ones. Can you say something more about it? Cause I bought mine 2 months ago from Amazon  and they are going back to Beyerdynamics today cause I distinctly feel the channels are unbalanced. The image is slightly shifted to the left. Also the metal sides are sharp like somebody else said and they don't slide smoothly for regulation. Anybody else having problems with channel balance with these?

[size=medium]
I also bought a pair from ebay but the same store as amazon recently and at first I thought it was second hand since the box wasn't sealed. However they told me that it was like that. What do you mean by sharp edges? The forks on mine dont slide in and out smoothly either. Is it suppose to? They were pretty cheap though. 
[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back