The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Mar 28, 2011 at 9:19 AM Post #1,216 of 12,548
What would be a good amp for the DT880 600 Ohm?

1. CK²III (my current choice)
  2. Darkvoice tube amp, probably 3322.

It would be fun with a tube amp, but I have no idea if I would like it as much. I know very little about tubes and their sound characteristics. Maybe something else than Darkvoice?

Budget is around $400.

Mar 29, 2011 at 9:25 PM Post #1,217 of 12,548
I got these from Amazon a couple of weeks ago and have put about 20 hours or so.
I guess my expectations were a bit too high at first as I didn't really feel like they were anything special.
I decided to compare them to my Sony MDR 888 and that's when I started loving them.  Noticed lots of extra detail in the sounds and better layering than compared to the 888's.  And now after some breaking in the highs are feeling more crisp and the lows are tightening up.
I'd like to have more hours on them by now but as it is they're taking up a lot of time.
I'll plan on listening them for an hour or so at night, but end up doing 2-3 hours more since my body won't let me take them off my head.
I'm currently using my Asus STX to drive them and they seem to be doing an ok job, but I definitely can feel that they would benefit more with a dedicated amp.
It's interesting how some music I used to think sounded good sound absolutely terrible on the Beyer's.  Just been listening to a lot of rock, jazz, and pop music.  So far I was surprised how good Nirvana sounds while Jimi Hendrix doesn't seem to shine.
I also noticed how sometimes the vocal track comes out loud and clear while other times it's being overpowered by the instruments.
Can't wait to fully break these in and then start looking at upgrades to the system.  I guess prolonging the break-in gives my wallet some rest...

Mar 30, 2011 at 2:31 AM Post #1,218 of 12,548
Just bought these from Amazon the other day in used mint condition with plenty of hours so it's nice I don't need to spend time burning them in. What really attracted me to these was all the positive reviews and how highly regarded these headphones were. My XD-53 cans have always been faithful to me but when it comes down to brass taxes they’re not all that comfortable (3 hours max and they must come off) and I feel the sound quality, while really good, isn't suitable for what I need them to be.

Still don’t have an amp with these monsters but at least the guy I bought them off of threw in a small cmoy amp. It isn’t much but it’s better then nothing until I can get the LD MK III or LD MK IV. Hopefully I can grab the LD MK IV for a good price because man, it’s a nice looking amp, very steam punk if you know what I mean lol.

Mar 30, 2011 at 3:30 AM Post #1,219 of 12,548
As you guys are talking mostly about amplification anyway, it turned out for me personally that the Mini³ (in high gain mode) does pretty well as portable amp...

Apr 3, 2011 at 10:50 AM Post #1,220 of 12,548
My wife reminded me about how cool these phones look - I'd forgotten - besides enjoying them for music - they are indeed aesthetically pleasing

Apr 11, 2011 at 3:02 AM Post #1,222 of 12,548
I've decided on DT880 250ohm, but one last thing before I get it, do they leak much? In/Out? Compared to Beats Studio what do you guys think? I'm fine with my Beats' sound leak, wanna know if the DT880 is any worse.

Wanted to get the DT770 for isolation, but after reading the forums the DT880 kinda suits me better.

Apr 14, 2011 at 7:17 AM Post #1,229 of 12,548

Quote:
Quote:

I have this setup.  It works fine.  Plenty of power.

awesome, can't wait to try it. thank you 
beyersmile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back