The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Mar 22, 2011 at 11:31 PM Post #1,203 of 12,546
Is there a forum for specifically for DIY for noobs trying DT880 mods? Just in case I am in the right one, I will ask the ever so annoying "is it possible to..." question. First and foremost, what is the best portable amp that I can carry around in my backpack that works well with the DT880/600 (From what I have read it is the mini3). If it is the mini3, can I make a mini3 powered off a USB port instead of a battery? I am essentially looking for kits of a high gain mini3 (kit or prebuilt) that is a headphone amp + DAC combo. I have seen a lot of examples of this type of amp on google images, but none of them mention high gain and the kits they mention no longer exist. Any help/suggestions?

Also I want to throw DT880 drivers into DT770 Pro shells (really NEED a closed headphone) + a recable. Thoughts (what would the sound be like)? What cable is good (mogami or HGA I have heard are good for DT series).

(Just realized I use a lot of brackets)

Mar 23, 2011 at 11:54 PM Post #1,204 of 12,546
hey all, quick question

i'm considering getting these in the near future (will probably be picking up an amp/dac as well) and i was wondering if any have made sonic comparisons to iems such as the ue triple.fi 10 (which i own). thanks in advance!

Mar 24, 2011 at 1:35 AM Post #1,205 of 12,546
Hey I purchased these from proaudiostar's ebay store as my first set of headphones. I noticed that the shipping invoice describes it as "refurbished audio equipment" and there was no seal on the box. Should i be worried or am i being paranoid? I've been sold second hand items on ebay before so I've become more careful since then. Thanks 

Mar 24, 2011 at 9:30 AM Post #1,207 of 12,546
I went from the TF10 to the DT880/600ohms. IMHO the DT880 is brighter and more forward relative to the TF10, which I consider to have recessed mids. Bass is tighter but no less impactful (to me at least) and overall soundstage, clarity and details are a step up. It's definitely an improvement if you have a decent amp to drive it, as is most of the case when comparing IEMs to full-sized headphones. However I would say that the TF10 is more "fun" (in the mainstream sense) while the DT880 is the more accurate can for critical listening.

Nowadays I use the DT880 at home while the TF10 is with me on the go. Seems to make sense this way 
biggrin.gif

Quote:
hey all, quick question

i'm considering getting these in the near future (will probably be picking up an amp/dac as well) and i was wondering if any have made sonic comparisons to iems such as the ue triple.fi 10 (which i own). thanks in advance!

Mar 24, 2011 at 6:38 PM Post #1,208 of 12,546

Quote:
I went from the TF10 to the DT880/600ohms. IMHO the DT880 is brighter and more forward relative to the TF10, which I consider to have recessed mids. Bass is tighter but no less impactful (to me at least) and overall soundstage, clarity and details are a step up. It's definitely an improvement if you have a decent amp to drive it, as is most of the case when comparing IEMs to full-sized headphones. However I would say that the TF10 is more "fun" (in the mainstream sense) while the DT880 is the more accurate can for critical listening.

Nowadays I use the DT880 at home while the TF10 is with me on the go. Seems to make sense this way 
biggrin.gif

hey thanks! i see myself being pretty content with the dt880's..

Mar 26, 2011 at 7:53 PM Post #1,210 of 12,546
gahh sometimes i hate this forum. now hearing good things about other phones such as the ultrasone pro 900, dt990 and d7000's. i know some of these are out of the price range of the dt880's but once you hear all these things you can't help but want to destroy your wallet.

Mar 26, 2011 at 8:39 PM Post #1,211 of 12,546
But until you actually hear them for yourself, you're pretty much going on someone else's experience. That can work out or be totally off. You might do better by using the frequency graphs to compare what you have and what you want. Of course those graphs can only give you an idea.

Mar 27, 2011 at 12:13 AM Post #1,212 of 12,546

Quote:
gahh sometimes i hate this forum. now hearing good things about other phones such as the ultrasone pro 900, dt990 and d7000's. i know some of these are out of the price range of the dt880's but once you hear all these things you can't help but want to destroy your wallet.

Here's the deal - you can spend all of your time reading about other people's opinions based on their tastes or just dive in and form your own. I've finally come to peace with what I love - you can only get there on your own. And that starts with listening with your ears, not reading about someone else's. If you buy some phones and don't like them - you can easily sell them and try others. 

Mar 27, 2011 at 1:08 AM Post #1,213 of 12,546

Agreed!
Quote:
Here's the deal - you can spend all of your time reading about other people's opinions based on their tastes or just dive in and form your own. I've finally come to peace with what I love - you can only get there on your own. And that starts with listening with your ears, not reading about someone else's. If you buy some phones and don't like them - you can easily sell them and try others. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back