The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Jan 29, 2011 at 6:49 PM Post #1,081 of 12,546
I am very interested in buying the dt880s/600 to use with my desktop but am not sure of the amp/dac setup I want to buy as well.

Here are my options I have come up with so far: (You can see where my budget is at as well.)

1) Fiio e7/e9 combo ($199) Many people justify this being more than enough to provide the headphones with good, clean power. Never claiming to be "AMAZING", but still very pleasing, especially for the price.

2) uDac2 > Matrix M-stage ($300-350) Seems like a decent performing combo for the price, but is it "that" much better then the e7/e9 for almost double the price?

3) uDac2 > Little Dot MK3 ($300-350? Not sure on recommended place to buy LDMK3) I have seen many recommend this amp, but my only concern is if the stock tubes are worth it. I have no interest in rolling tubes, (I know I say this now hehe..) but I would like to be done with it after the initial purchase. If this is the case, perhaps SS amps are more suited for me? I have no idea. As long as the stock tubes are nice, I believe this would be a viable option.

Mind you, I have never even heard a good amp, or even a top notch headphone for that matter. Hope to get some opinions or other suggestions for around the same price!

Jan 29, 2011 at 7:43 PM Post #1,082 of 12,546
Option 2 sounds your best bet IMO - the Matrix is lovely and the sound is worth the price...don't know about the Little Dot

Jan 29, 2011 at 9:26 PM Post #1,083 of 12,546

Quote:
I am very interested in buying the dt880s/600 to use with my desktop but am not sure of the amp/dac setup I want to buy as well.

Here are my options I have come up with so far: (You can see where my budget is at as well.)

1) Fiio e7/e9 combo ($199) Many people justify this being more than enough to provide the headphones with good, clean power. Never claiming to be "AMAZING", but still very pleasing, especially for the price.

2) uDac2 > Matrix M-stage ($300-350) Seems like a decent performing combo for the price, but is it "that" much better then the e7/e9 for almost double the price?

3) uDac2 > Little Dot MK3 ($300-350? Not sure on recommended place to buy LDMK3) I have seen many recommend this amp, but my only concern is if the stock tubes are worth it. I have no interest in rolling tubes, (I know I say this now hehe..) but I would like to be done with it after the initial purchase. If this is the case, perhaps SS amps are more suited for me? I have no idea. As long as the stock tubes are nice, I believe this would be a viable option.

Mind you, I have never even heard a good amp, or even a top notch headphone for that matter. Hope to get some opinions or other suggestions for around the same price!

I just sold my M-Stage because my LDIV pairs so well with my Beyers. I also used to own the LDMKIII. The M-Stage is a fantastic amp - esp. for the price but I decided that the tube amp really made both my DT880/990s shine. It's a powerful amp for the 600ohm phones and the SS is really pleasant, very lush but not muddy in anyway. Tube rolling is fun and very easy - loads of LD tubes available for cheap on eBay - I have collected about 30+ tubes and the rolling gives your amp great versatility. 

Jan 29, 2011 at 9:46 PM Post #1,084 of 12,546
Yeah, I'm still not sure which route to go because, like you have both clearly stated, the m-stage is a powerful, effective amp yet the "tube" sound (despite never hearing it) sounds enticing. And then again the bargain of the e7/e9 is amazing!! Decisions, decisions....

Jan 29, 2011 at 10:20 PM Post #1,085 of 12,546

Quote:

I've had the Little Dot MKIII for 2 years now.  I received the DT880 600ohms for Christmas.  These two sing together.  Mind you, I have rolled to Mullard CV131 tubes but I have used my stock EF95 tubes and they sound amazing with the amp too.  I listen to a lot of live soundboard recordings (Phish, Widespread Panic, Grateful Dead, ect..) as well as a lot of prog rock/metal.  I love this setup and am going to be rocking it for some time

Jan 30, 2011 at 12:24 AM Post #1,086 of 12,546
Despite comments about the Audio-GD gear possibly being too neutral, I'm looking at the new NFB-12 for use with a DT-880/600.

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB12/NFB12EN.htm

Specs on this are 10V RMS output, 150mW at 600 Ohm.  Does anyone have an idea if this is enough voltage to let the DT-880/600 shine?

My dilemma is the NB-12 runs a very affordable $200 but the next step up of DAC and Amp, either SS or tube, would run me $600.

Jan 30, 2011 at 11:19 PM Post #1,088 of 12,546
After much thought, I think I will go with the LD mk3 as the price is below the m-stage in most cases and it sounds like many of you can back up it's performance. At least that is what I am thinking at the current time... :)

Jan 31, 2011 at 6:55 PM Post #1,091 of 12,546
I'm starting to think tubes are really the only thing for this... I hear some sibilance with my DT 880's straight out of the STX headphone out and have since purchased a KICAS Caliente.  Using the HM801 line out in the amp, I still get the sibilance, though the amp is an absolute wonder with my JH-13's.  Since I use the 880's for gaming mainly, I'm probably not going to get yet another amp just for gaming, but hearing the 880's through a cheap IC amp and then a discrete one, I hear the same sibilance/brightness that seems to be needs the tubes to tame it down.

Feb 2, 2011 at 11:58 AM Post #1,093 of 12,546
I got redirected here as to my question how to drive the DT880-pro in the 600Ω-version. So... I own a small portable amp (Penguin Caffeine Amp) but am completely ignorant on the theme. Do I really need to invest in an amp? I'm not talking anywhere near High-end here, though I'd like to hear it shine.

Feb 2, 2011 at 1:30 PM Post #1,094 of 12,546

Quote:
I got redirected here as to my question how to drive the DT880-pro in the 600Ω-version. So... I own a small portable amp (Penguin Caffeine Amp) but am completely ignorant on the theme. Do I really need to invest in an amp? I'm not talking anywhere near High-end here, though I'd like to hear it shine.

Some people claim that the e7/e9 Dac+Amp combo ($199) is more than enough to power them. It has not been said so much here but in the e9 review thread.

Although I have not personally owned either, the Matrix-m stage and the Little Dot MK III seem to be budget amps that people have suggested to power those 600ohm headphones.

Feb 2, 2011 at 1:34 PM Post #1,095 of 12,546
After quite a bit of searching and comparing return policies I had pretty much decided on ordering a pair from B&H because they were the same price as Amazon ($249.99) but Amazon was out of stock. So today I'm checking on Amazon to see if they've gotten any in and they have not plus the price is now $269 but B&H has gone up to $319! I guess I missed out on the lower prices. Rats.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back