The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Nov 30, 2010 at 11:24 PM Post #1,006 of 12,546
Quote:
Wide and open, check. But vocals are placed right between the ears. This is known as the fake Beyer soundstage. I know I am not the only one thinking this.

Wide & open with quite excellent positioning (only less so comparing to balanced T1).  I have not yet hear other phones (i.e. K701, HD600, HE-5LE) that have more natural and  accurate soundstage than DT880/600 with my systems.  I just tried some vocal tracks and found some has excellent radial positioning (Judy Collins sings Dylan) and another (Mary Black: By the time it gets dark) has very close presentation ("between the ear"?).  It seems to me more like it is just the way they are recorded.

There is no fake soundstage at all even with my DLIII DAC and single-ended CSP2+.  (It seems ZX's cable and Audio-GD's DI+PSU also bumped up the sonic positioning a few levels
wink.gif
).  My balanced setup has even higher resolution in the radial direction.

Nov 30, 2010 at 11:47 PM Post #1,007 of 12,546
Speaking of balanced systems Puck, I found the soundstage to become more coherent and the imaging improved quite a bit. The sound also became more effortless, if that makes sense.

Dec 1, 2010 at 12:35 AM Post #1,008 of 12,546
I have not yet had a chance to mention more about ZXAC cable here, but I have been really amazed how it outperforms my another recabled DT880/600 ohm.  I have been comparing this DT880/600 and T1.  While T1 gives me extra resolution, more accurate imaging, and nicer bass.  DT880/600 with ZXAC cable gives a "live" feeling in the soundstage that I cannot get withT1.  I cannot pinpoint exactly what that is but I have no regret to keep this recabled DT880/600.  The sound is also more solidified with good speed and impact.  I'll say that one may not really experience the true potential of DT880/600 if they have not tried balanced recabled one with a cable such as ZXAC's Nucleotide.

Dec 3, 2010 at 2:34 AM Post #1,009 of 12,546
Does anyone else find that the foam on the driver touches their ear, and does it bother anyone else? It's probably the only reason I can't wear the DT880 for hours on end, after a while it drives me nuts. Is this foam reversibly removable? I tried pulling at it but it didn't give, and I didnt' want to tear it within a week of getting my headphones.

Dec 3, 2010 at 5:43 AM Post #1,010 of 12,546
Either you have big dumbo shaped ears (no offense) or your pads are worn. :wink: The foam should be removable but I don't recommend pulling it off.

Dec 3, 2010 at 6:02 AM Post #1,011 of 12,546
While balanced has its advantages, most are on paper. There are some minute differences, but the only real way to hear them or compare is to use the same headphone with the same balanced amp in both single ended and balanced mode. I've done this with my XLR and SE DT880 (same headphone) with a couple of balanced amps. The most neutral of these is the Einar Sound VC01i, though some others had a bit more synergy with the DT880.

Dec 3, 2010 at 1:07 PM Post #1,012 of 12,546
The advantage of being balanced is very gear dependent.  Some systems (from transport -> DAC -> AMP -> phones) has no response to it and hence little benefit to claim.  But other systems has huge differences and it could affect the keep-or-sale decision.  Nothing I have own now or in the past can compete with my fully balanced system. (The catch is that I am very picky on the soundstage and 3D imaging capability).  And DT880 response very well with these balanced systems.

And I did have 3 pairs of DT880 (250ohm, 600 ohm, stock cable, after-market cable, SE, balanced) in the past to compare.

Not trying to argue, but just provide different data point and observation to "balance" the views. 
wink.gif

Quote:
While balanced has its advantages, most are on paper. There are some minute differences, but the only real way to hear them or compare is to use the same headphone with the same balanced amp in both single ended and balanced mode. I've done this with my XLR and SE DT880 (same headphone) with a couple of balanced amps. The most neutral of these is the Einar Sound VC01i, though some others had a bit more synergy with the DT880.

Dec 14, 2010 at 11:28 AM Post #1,013 of 12,546
Shipped to me straight from Germany I received my DT880 Manufaktur 600 ohm today. Which is awesome!
Until I plugged them in and realized there was only sound coming out on the right side. Which sucks.

Left side, no sound at all, not sure how that happened since I was under the impression that they tested each and every pair before they ship them off. Sent them an e-mail about it, hope they take in contact with me, but I'm pretty sure this gonna be a hassle no matter what considering I don't live in Germany.

Oh well, at least the right side where the sound is sounds good, so at least I know I will appreciate them once this gets fixed.

Dec 14, 2010 at 1:45 PM Post #1,014 of 12,546
Looks like Beyer's QC has issues to keep up with the increased demand.

Dec 15, 2010 at 12:04 PM Post #1,016 of 12,546
Got in contact with their manager for technical support, he was very helpful.

He told me that they do a 100% check on each Manufaktur they ship out, so guess I just got unlucky somehow. He told me how to measure Ohm's with a multimeter and turns out the left channel is dead somehow, so back to Germany with them and it will all get sorted out.

Dec 19, 2010 at 11:16 PM Post #1,018 of 12,546
Just sold my Sennheiser HD595 for the BD 880 600 ohm and couldn't be happier. The soundstage on these things is a significant upgrade from the Sennz. I am running the 880's from the Xonar Essence ST and have a power question for the forum:

Are these getting enough juice? I know Asus says the card is ready for 600 ohm phones and it has its own dedicated 12V molex adapter in there but after lurking this thread it seems like other enthusiasts are opting for a tube amp. What is the general consensus?

Would it be a sound investment to look into a ~$300 tube amp for the Beyers or is the Xonar ST sufficient (i.e. 90%+ phone's capability?)

Thanks for your expertise on this fellow BD owners.

Dec 19, 2010 at 11:29 PM Post #1,019 of 12,546
I would say you have maybe 70% of their max potential there. The Xonar card, even though stated as being for 600Ohm headphones, does not give them nearly enough juice. A tube amp will give them the required voltage swing they need. Get a Little-Dot MKIII as you amp. It's quite powerful for the money.

Dec 20, 2010 at 1:24 AM Post #1,020 of 12,546
I agree with Zombie_X.
I run the STX, and have fed the DT880/600's with it. It's good... real good, but these really do need a bit more, and a different synergy. Also the recommendation of the LD-MKIII seems to be agreed upon by many (or for a bit more money, the Darkvoice 337 or WA6).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back