The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Nov 20, 2010 at 5:54 AM Post #991 of 12,546

Quote:
Originally Posted by realmassy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Too bad I just got a email from amazon.fr with cancellation of order 
frown.gif
: maybe they've realized they can't ship in UK (price on amazon.uk is £308, not euros!)

I think I'll place the order from the Beyer site

After my order with Amazon.fr has been cancelled I decided to get a recabled DT880 from ZX Amateur Cables (Zombie X): it's basically the same price of Amazon.uk! 
tongue_smile.gif

Nov 20, 2010 at 9:10 PM Post #992 of 12,546
Wait so Amazon UK's price on the DT880's is the same as what you paid to get the new DT880 and cable from me? WOW can't believe they are so pricey over there.

Quote:

After my order with Amazon.fr has been cancelled I decided to get a recabled DT880 from ZX Amateur Cables (Zombie X): it's basically the same price of Amazon.uk! 
tongue_smile.gif

Nov 21, 2010 at 3:35 AM Post #994 of 12,546
After months of stalking DT880s, I'm finally ready to join the club... next week when they arrive. I'm a little sad the package will probably get here when I'm home for thanksgiving, so they'll have to wait for me to get back. Of all my purchases (except maybe the HD650) this is probably the one I'm most anxious for...
beyersmile.png

Nov 21, 2010 at 11:43 AM Post #995 of 12,546

aflac,assumed you bought it from one of the hfier at the market place~ it's a good phones and it's worth to wait as im waiting for mine to knock my door too on monday~ hehe
Quote:
After months of stalking DT880s, I'm finally ready to join the club... next week when they arrive. I'm a little sad the package will probably get here when I'm home for thanksgiving, so they'll have to wait for me to get back. Of all my purchases (except maybe the HD650) this is probably the one I'm most anxious for...
beyersmile.png

Nov 26, 2010 at 7:08 AM Post #996 of 12,546
I'm joining the club too
beyersmile.png
I got them today, which was stunningly fast, as I ordered them 2 day ago from Amazon.fr. Note that I live in Slovenia and the mail from Amazon said i should be expecting them from 8th to 12th of December. They sound awesome, even now with no time on them=) I was worried because of highs which were a bit too hot for my taste when I tested my friend's, but they are fine on mine...for now. I'm running them with LD MKIII and they sound stunning
atsmile.gif

PS: And I paid only 211€ with delivery=)

Nov 30, 2010 at 2:57 PM Post #997 of 12,546
I have received the real deal now. Sounds pretty good, definitely DT880. There's also the felt on the drivers. Obviously, after 4 weeks without the DT800/250, I can't really  compare the sound of both variants. 

Also received a pair of free earpads.

Nov 30, 2010 at 3:13 PM Post #998 of 12,546

Quote:
I'm joining the club too
beyersmile.png
I got them today, which was stunningly fast, as I ordered them 2 day ago from Amazon.fr. Note that I live in Slovenia and the mail from Amazon said i should be expecting them from 8th to 12th of December. They sound awesome, even now with no time on them=) I was worried because of highs which were a bit too hot for my taste when I tested my friend's, but they are fine on mine...for now. I'm running them with LD MKIII and they sound stunning
atsmile.gif

PS: And I paid only 211€ with delivery=)

Brilliant! Congrats.
Yes, and I envy you as I hear the MKIII and the DT880/600 have remarkable synergy.

Keep us posted.

shane

Nov 30, 2010 at 3:33 PM Post #999 of 12,546
I got my DT880s today. At first listen, I was unfortunately not terribly impressed. Bass was just perfect in amount and punch, but the midrange was a tad recessed, and the treble was indeed quite hot. It did not perform well on a cymbal-heavy song, with direct comparison with my K701s. I also miss the edginess the K701 places on John Petrucci's overdriven guitar. The DT880 reproduces it faithfully, more monitor-like, but it loses some "fun factor". I'll have to listen to them for a lot longer to get real impressions, but for now I can say that they sound very neutral and natural, with a little too much treble emphasis.

EDIT: a little bit more about the recessed midrange. Compared to the K701, which has a huge, expansive but distant soundstage, the DT880 has a wide but a little "closer" soundstage, due to the drivers being closer to the ears. Despite that, the way the midrange is "pulled back" slightly kind of kills immersion for me. I really like the edge Grados and AKGs place on overdriven guitars, and the DT880s are just kind of missing that magic so far. I hope this will change over time as I habituate to the sound, I really want to like these headphones.

Nov 30, 2010 at 3:43 PM Post #1,000 of 12,546
Aflac.
I found the highs extremely difficult at first as well. But hours of break-in (off head) seemed to tame them enough for me. This also effectively brought the mids up a bit. Give them some time. They do change.

shane

Nov 30, 2010 at 3:56 PM Post #1,001 of 12,546
AKG mids are hard to beat though, that's true. It really wasn't because of the mids that I never bought a K701 and exchanged my K271 after 2 years of daily use.

But fully broken in, the 880'600 beat the K701 in respect of musicality with ease...

Nov 30, 2010 at 6:36 PM Post #1,002 of 12,546
Hmm don't fully agree. The K701 I have is currently damped and doesn't have any of the hotness in the treble anymore. It definitely can sound better than the DT880.

The main thing I don't like about the DT880 is the in-your-head-presentation. The K701 doesn't have this at all. The DT880 is a lot more versatile though and if I could own only one pair of phones the DT880 might be the pair I would choose.

Nov 30, 2010 at 6:40 PM Post #1,003 of 12,546

Quote:
The main thing I don't like about the DT880 is the in-your-head-presentation.

That surprises me. I don't get that at all. Mine seem wonderfully wide and open.
Whatever you do... don't ever get IEM's or the M50. Claustrophobia will set in immediately !! 
basshead.gif

Nov 30, 2010 at 6:43 PM Post #1,004 of 12,546
Wide and open, check. But vocals are placed right between the ears. This is known as the fake Beyer soundstage. I know I am not the only one thinking this.

Nov 30, 2010 at 8:26 PM Post #1,005 of 12,546
I used to always want these cans back when I was heavy into the cans, but now that I'm getting back into the headphone game these are what I want to start out with for gaming, music, and few movies. I am not planning to buy a big amp or anything right now, but maybe later down the road if I'm not that happy with the tritton sound processor. Can't wait. Just waiting to catch a deal on someone selling them used. I was debating on going for the 250ohm ones off Ebay, but I think I'll hold off since I hear they are quite different in the sound and performance. Anyone wanting to part with theirs? hehe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back