The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Nov 8, 2010 at 3:08 PM Post #961 of 12,548
Yeah, looks like they send me a DT880 driver without the felt.

I wonder what's the use of that felt. My guess would have been reducing treble or midrange, but it's not like I've got loads of midrange and killer treble without it... Less midrange than with my MS1000 and more treble. That's not a big surprise, though. Treble doesn't seems as ear piercing like the 250 Ohm systems' at higher volume.

Judging by sound is really hard after two weeks of MS1000. 

Nov 8, 2010 at 3:13 PM Post #962 of 12,548
That stock felt filters quite some high treble, but of course it's only a nuance on brief listening. That nuance might be bollocks or fatiguing in long terms, depending from listening habits and taste.

Nov 8, 2010 at 5:02 PM Post #963 of 12,548
I gave them a better listen now. Treble is nice, extends very high (up to 20kHz and possibly even further). No ear piercing loud treble at higher volume. Bass is pretty fast. But there's just too much of it. Right now bass is pretty much everything I hear if there's a bass (the instrument) in the song.

Edit:
The bass is not that bad anymore. Possible reasons:
-Lower volume, I noticed that I listened at a pretty high volume yesterday
-Adaption to MS1000 sound is wearing off or I'm getting used to the bassy sound
-Burn in

At low volume they actually sound really good.

I've also called Beyer and was told that the 600 Ohm systems might come without the felt now. But they'll check the other 600 ohm systems in stock to verify this. They'll also try to find out why I got holes in the thin cloth in the middle of the system. I should receive an answer by thursday.

Nov 11, 2010 at 9:58 AM Post #964 of 12,548
Turned out those are DT990 systems.

After two days of listening to them it doesn't sound like a bass catastrophe anymore (I was really used to the MS1000 sound), but still there is more bass compared to the triple.fi 10 where once used to be less. For some songs it works pretty well, for others the amount of bass is very annoying, especially in the 80-120 Hz range. Still pretty good if you prefer to listen at very low levels.

Of course, Beyer will change the systems again. I hope I will get the real DT880/600 soon.

Nov 11, 2010 at 10:01 AM Post #965 of 12,548
Sorry to hear that. It seems Beyer has some problems with their 600 OHM drivers...

Oh, I know have two pair of 600OHM drivers. :)

Nov 12, 2010 at 3:34 PM Post #966 of 12,548
Please welcome me to the club :)
I just placed an order for the DT880 600ohm from Amazon.fr: the price was very low, 215 euro shipped in UK.
It's almost too good to be true!
I will use a WA3 with some upgraded tubes.

By the way, can you tell me how to identify the 600ohm model? I just want to make sure Amazon will ship the right version.

Nov 12, 2010 at 3:40 PM Post #967 of 12,548
Welcome! Good price too!

The box will have a sticker that says "Audiophile 600OHM Model" or something along those lines (I forgot). Also, they will have 600OHM printed on the plug. To be really sure you will need to check on the drivers with a multimeter.

Nov 12, 2010 at 3:51 PM Post #968 of 12,548
Thanks apatn!

I have a multimeter, though I'm not entirely sure how to use it 
redface.gif

I'll will probably ask for your help once they're with me.

Nov 12, 2010 at 5:30 PM Post #971 of 12,548

Quote:
I used to own a DT880, 250 ohm version, but I had a completely different rig (no tubes, balanced amp): I'm now enjoying the HD650, which kind of sound should I expect?

You should expect a very different sound from the HD650. Where the HD650 has rolled-off highs, the DT880 will have accentuated (or maybe exaggerated) highs. The DT880 also will have a better bass extension, but may not sound as warm and rich as the HD650.

As for the multimeter... the 1/4" jack has three parts below the hilt. The largest, closest to the hilt... let's call that the 'neutral'. The other two are the 'positive' from each (L&R) channel. Turn on your multimeter, and put it in the Ohm position. Put the metal tip of the black probe on the larger 'neutral' and the red on one of the other 'positive'. After getting the reading, keep the black on the neutral and move the red to the other 'positive'. The two readings should each be near 600. Close is fine, but they should also be close to each other.

Good luck.

Nov 12, 2010 at 9:11 PM Post #972 of 12,548
Sorry, but none of those replies except the multimeter one guarantee you a 600 ohm driver based on my personal experience. 
biggrin.gif

I had a 600 ohm Manufacktur and it has 32-ohm printed on the plug.  It also did not have diode on the driver.  And I have one 600 ohm comes without 600 ohm sticker on the box.  The best way is to use a multimeter to measure it.

I did contact Beyer USA to get diode attached drivers.  The sound is quite different.

Quote:
The box will have a sticker that says "Audiophile 600OHM Model" or something along those lines (I forgot). Also, they will have 600OHM printed on the plug. To be really sure you will need to check on the drivers with a multimeter.

Quote:
Every 600ohm driver have 2 diodes at the soldering-points.

Nov 13, 2010 at 5:12 AM Post #974 of 12,548

Quote:
You should expect a very different sound from the HD650. Where the HD650 has rolled-off highs, the DT880 will have accentuated (or maybe exaggerated) highs. The DT880 also will have a better bass extension, but may not sound as warm and rich as the HD650.

That sounds good, I don't want something with the same signature of the HD650, and I'm looking for some headphones with a better (wider and focused) soundstage to use with large orchestra music.

Too bad I just got a email from amazon.fr with cancellation of order 
frown.gif
: maybe they've realized they can't ship in UK (price on amazon.uk is £308, not euros!)

I think I'll place the order from the Beyer site

Nov 13, 2010 at 8:31 AM Post #975 of 12,548
I admit that's true. The things I mentioned are ways to identify them but Beyer doesn't use stickers/prints etc on all of the phones. Pretty annoying...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back