The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Sep 26, 2021 at 8:27 AM Post #12,181 of 12,546
👍 With the 600 ohms and power appetite, the DT-880 demands a good high output impedance, high voltage h/p/a. Nowadays, that means a good tube OTL like your BHC ! (I get my best results on the DT-880/600 with an OTL (Woo WA2)). Enjoy!
P.S., if you want to try other reasonably priced driver tubes, I suggest Genalex / Gold Lion 12AU7 and Brimar CV4003.
Incidentally I have a Genalex Gold Lion 12AU7 on order. Will check out the Brimar - thanks for the suggestion!

Sep 26, 2021 at 8:15 PM Post #12,182 of 12,546
Incidentally I have a Genalex Gold Lion 12AU7 on order. Will check out the Brimar - thanks for the suggestion!
I have been using the Genalex Gold Lion 12AU7 since buying it in March 2017 on amazon.com, with a Bravo V2. The tube cost almost the same as the amplifier, and I found the combination to be very musical. I have to admit that I do not use this amplifier-tube combinationj with the DT880 a lot, simply because I use other headphones more often.

Sep 27, 2021 at 3:40 AM Post #12,183 of 12,546
I have been using the Genalex Gold Lion 12AU7 since buying it in March 2017 on amazon.com, with a Bravo V2. The tube cost almost the same as the amplifier, and I found the combination to be very musical. I have to admit that I do not use this amplifier-tube combinationj with the DT880 a lot, simply because I use other headphones more often.
I have a similar little tube hybrid (Trends Audio PA-10) that can take 12AU7 as well as 6922 tube types. I've ordered Gold Lions for both types. Should be interesting to hear the difference. I can also recommend TAD branded 12AU7 tubes.

Sep 30, 2021 at 6:17 AM Post #12,184 of 12,546
I seem to have missed the recent activity here! I also wonder how acklys seems to be confirming that all of the DT880s have this distortion. I at one point had what seemed like distortion, but turns out it was some hair trapped in the material covering the driver. I managed to sort that out. my 600ohm pair do distort when close to maximum volume on my FiiO A3, which isn't really capable of driving them very well. But drive them with something like my integrated amplifier such as my Pioneer A-209R, they can get really loud with no (audible) distortion, even if you turn the bass dial right up!

I've posted this before, but even though Oluv isn't keen on the DT880s, he doesn't say anything about distortion, nor is it there in his recordings. And I think he records with the best method of pretty much anyone on youtube. Very representative of these headphones.

Wonder if acklys will hear the distortion that isn't there from this video

Sep 30, 2021 at 8:39 AM Post #12,185 of 12,546
Is there a thinner headphone than the dt880? Dt880 seem to lose bass over time and i haven't found a headphone that measures thinner. Like k701 and hd600 have better bass extension even and theyre known for not going very deep.
From the video i posted above, I would actually agree the k702s have slightly less bass than the DT800s. The DT880s can sound thinner as a result of the treble bump at times. But I would even say my AKG K550s sound thinner, especially in the lower mid range. They also have less punch. But my K550s do have better bass extension further down and don't roll off in the same way.

I still have my Audio Technica ATH-AD700s and they have far less bass than the DT880s and are certainly much thinner. I would however say that their treble spike is more pleasant to listen to compared to the DT880s.

Oct 12, 2021 at 5:37 AM Post #12,186 of 12,546
I'm planing to put a Amiron wireless Foam disc on the Dt880 600 ohm, I saw it on the dt1990 thread, it should redruce some 8K peak.

Just order it and some spare parts on the europe website, because US website sold out,
But there was a ridiculous thing happens to me and waste my money.

I need to use the international forwarding company to ship it to me,
After I purchase, I found wrong information about the shipping (auto fill by google),
The international forwarding company I use has a policy , if the name not correct, will be treated as abandoned.

So I emailing them to change of it, But they tell me can't change any information, even the product not start to ship. I tell them the product will be lost, but they just keep saying the system and company policy, they can't help or conncet to they warehouse. And I can't even cancel the order. So they will keep shipping even they know it will be lost.

I know I have a certain responsibility for my mistake. but I feel angry and disponiting about this. The customers service is not helpful at all.
If you guys want to buy something on their website should be very careful.

Oct 15, 2021 at 3:15 PM Post #12,187 of 12,546
I have some questions for all of you, distinguished owners of the 880

I have the 880 Pro version I bought some time ago and I was underwhelmed by it. I kept it and recently thought of giving it another run.

My set up is the Roland UA S10 interface feeding the Beyer A20 amp. I have the 1770, 770 80ohm, GMP 8.35 and Ety ER4SR and ER4S

I use the 1770 and Etys weekly/daily (the 4s being the back up pair to the sr) for listening to music and for work (video dialogue audio)

There was a deal on 880s years ago and I jumped at the chance to get them after reading some reviews. I thought I would get a clear, balanced sound. However, my experience is that they are bass heavy and very dark. The lows overwhelm the mids and there is no sparkle that others have noticed.

So, my question here is whether I have a dud pair or my pairing with the above set up is the wrong one.

I am not entirely keen to get another amp to fit the 880, but I doubt whether it would make much of a difference since the boomy effect is well pronounced.

All my other earphones/headphones sound excellent with this kit (or perhaps I have just gotten very used to that sound and I find it hard to go to the 880)

Any guidance is highly appreciated!

Oct 15, 2021 at 4:16 PM Post #12,188 of 12,546
The DT880 are the furthest thing from bass heavy or dark, I run mine with tubes to give them a little more low end.

Oct 15, 2021 at 4:43 PM Post #12,190 of 12,546
dt880 are pretty lame. they lose bass over time as the pads wear. they have a hilarious 6khz peak tonality that you have to listen to all day every day. they have a treble roll off. dt990 after a few months smooth out in the treble with no peaks to speak of. you get much better bass and treble extension on dt990. why anyone wants the dt880 is beyond me.
nbvnbvnb.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2021 at 4:46 PM Post #12,192 of 12,546
Maybe you have accidentally the DT770 pads on them? No the 880 should not sound like that at all they are extremely crystalline and clear sounding with nice bass extension and barely any midbass hump.
No. I have the pads it came with. Have not changed them.

I wonder if it's like the man speaks of above...the sound will change and the bass will settle.

I wonder if it's worth keeping them...

Oct 15, 2021 at 4:47 PM Post #12,193 of 12,546
There was a deal on 880s years ago and I jumped at the chance to get them after reading some reviews. I thought I would get a clear, balanced sound. However, my experience is that they are bass heavy and very dark. The lows overwhelm the mids and there is no sparkle that others have noticed.
This is the exact opposite of my DT 880 (600Ω). It is if anything bass light at normal volumes but with elevated treble from 5-10kHz (spike at 8kHz) that makes most music sound bright and some instruments metallic. This is with 1 ply of toilet paper over the drivers. So the only possibilities I can think of are:
1. they're new and still need running in before their FR settles
2. they're defective or fakes
3. the earpads are not the silver ones but black that make them more like DT 990s
4. you're not adjusted to their FR because of listening to other IEMs or earphones

Oct 15, 2021 at 4:49 PM Post #12,194 of 12,546
No. I have the pads it came with. Have not changed them.

I wonder if it's like the man speaks of above...the sound will change and the bass will settle.

I wonder if it's worth keeping them...
Yes bass thins out over a few months period of time. 5-6khz also droops down a little. so they thin out over time i herd hd800s do this too but i havent seen pad wear comparisons of it.
mnbm.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back