The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Aug 11, 2020 at 4:22 PM Post #11,746 of 12,548
Got my 880's (600Ohm) in today. Hooked them up to my tube amp. Cranked them up and got lots of volume, but they didn't sound very full. Switched on my Schiit Loki and all was well. My tube amp is not of the thick and bassy variety.

They sound very good in this set up right now, just a few hours in.

These are the cheapest headphones I have bought in years. I wanted more options for my tube amp so I re-bought the HD600's (used) and these (new) for about the same price. These are WAY more fun! :thumbsup:

It has only been a few hours, but the sound is great and I have not found them too bright, so far. My T5p.2's took a few months to get to me though.

I will stick with the tube amp for a few days and try all my genres (old rock, new rock, blues and jazz).

Then I will move on to the Violectric. I plugged them into the Violectric for about one minute and I can't wait to work that combo.:L3000: 20200811_163118~2.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2020 at 2:55 PM Post #11,748 of 12,548
I'm still trying to look around for a portable amplifier that will be able to power these efficiently. My Fiio A3 seems to distort at times when the dial goes past 7 or 8 and very badly indeed if bass boost is on. I once purchased the A5 and was disappointed. It didn't seem much louder and I just found the design of the volume dial very impractical. Being a rechargeable amplifier for me is one of the most important things. I don't just use the headphones at my desk and would want to take the amplifier wherever I use them. I just find a lot of the time especially with movies, maximum volume on my current A3 just isn't loud enough. I would prefer the amplifier to be as basic as possible if that saves any money. I already have a DAC so preferably would just like a rechargable amp with a 3.5mm input and output. Size doesn't really bother me. It can be significantly more chunky than the A3 if needed.

I just don't want to spend that much on one. Much more than half the cost of my headphones would probably be a bit much. (ordered them for £150). My A3 isn't far off from being adiquate ant I got that for around £50. So I would say somewhere between £60 - £100 would be about right depending on the design. But as I said, being rechargeable is the most important thing for me.

Aug 12, 2020 at 3:31 PM Post #11,749 of 12,548
Got my 880's (600Ohm) in today. Hooked them up to my tube amp. Cranked them up and got lots of volume, but they didn't sound very full. Switched on my Schiit Loki and all was well. My tube amp is not of the thick and bassy variety.

They sound very good in this set up right now, just a few hours in.

These are the cheapest headphones I have bought in years. I wanted more options for my tube amp so I re-bought the HD600's (used) and these (new) for about the same price. These are WAY more fun! :thumbsup:

It has only been a few hours, but the sound is great and I have not found them too bright, so far. My T5p.2's took a few months to get to me though.

I will stick with the tube amp for a few days and try all my genres (old rock, new rock, blues and jazz).

Then I will move on to the Violectric. I plugged them into the Violectric for about one minute and I can't wait to work that combo.:L3000:20200811_163118~2.jpg
The MAD is a transformer-coupled design like my Opera Consonance, I believe. On the Opera, the DT880 only come alive on the “High Z” output taps...

Aug 12, 2020 at 3:48 PM Post #11,750 of 12,548
The MAD is a transformer-coupled design like my Opera Consonance, I believe. On the Opera, the DT880 only come alive on the “High Z” output taps...

I can see that at 600 Ohms. I actually bought this amp for my 32 Ohm Grado's and they sound Wonderful with it.
But I am impressed with my Schiit Loki to Mad amp to my 880's. This is a LOT of fun for cheap! :L3000:

I am excited about putting them on the Violectric, where I expect they will not need any EQ help.

Aug 12, 2020 at 10:07 PM Post #11,751 of 12,548
Hi there,

currently looking for open-back headphones for movie watching & gaming using a SBX G6 I think I'll order the DT 880/250 Ohm Edition. Can you folks confirm that the Black Edition has a different sound signature? A shame if that's the case and I'll have to go with the normal grey one.

I have a thread over at the recommendations forum and I previously tried my luck with the Fidelio X2HR (too heavy), the AKG 712 Pro (ears hurt due to touching the drivers) and the DT 990 Black SE with the DT 990 being the most comfortable out of the three, but they sound "muffled", so I hope that the DT 880 sound more like the AKG 712 Pro.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2020 at 11:44 PM Post #11,752 of 12,548
Hi there,

currently looking for open-back headphones for movie watching & gaming using a SBX G6 I think I'll order the DT 880/250 Ohm Edition. Can you folks confirm that the Black Edition has a different sound signature? A shame if that's the case and I'll have to go with the normal grey one.

I have a thread over at the recommendations forum and I previously tried my luck with the Fidelio X2HR (too heavy), the AKG 712 Pro (ears hurt due to touching the drivers) and the DT 990 Black SE with the DT 990 being the most comfortable out of the three, but they sound "muffled", so I hope that the DT 880 sound more like the AKG 712 Pro.

I've read a couple of different places that the black DT880 SE does indeed have different tuning.

https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/brands-a-i/dt880-black-se/

https://www.superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php?threads/beyerdynamic-dt880-comparison.9732/

Now whether that's because of the black vs grey pads is up to interpretation.

Aug 13, 2020 at 6:09 AM Post #11,754 of 12,548
I've read a couple of different places that the black DT880 SE does indeed have different tuning.

https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/brands-a-i/dt880-black-se/

https://www.superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php?threads/beyerdynamic-dt880-comparison.9732/

Now whether that's because of the black vs grey pads is up to interpretation.

Depending on what those black ear pads are like on the other side, they could well alter the sound. I bought these if you find my post:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the...scussion-thread.429371/page-769#post-15478616

These ear pads just have a ring of holes on the inside to the foam inside rather than having them all over. This appears to make them sound warmer, adding a bit more weight to the bass. I also find I prefer to have the foam disks in them as it helps reduce that treble spike from coming accross as harsh. That of course is an opinion, but my other headphones have more treble than these, but I don't find it quite as harsh> i'm guessing it is just the frequency it peaks at that I'm not a fan of. But a mix of these ear pads and disks help with that.

If the black ear pads on the other model you mention have a different design to the originals, I have no doubt they will alter the sound a little.

Aug 14, 2020 at 4:47 AM Post #11,756 of 12,548
Thanks, DT 880 normal/grey Edition (250 Ohm) it is, then.
btw. is "Premium" what the "Edition" model was called in the past as mentioned by ppl in the linked threads?

I once bought the 250ohm Pros but had issues with the cable. It is coiled and i hate coiled cables for home use if they are attached to headphones permanently. The Primiums are 600ohms and come with a carrying case and have a 3m straight cable. The adjustment metal bar is also silver. It is powder coated black on the Pros. The Pros also clamped against your head whth far more force while the premiums are quite slack. There are a lot of differences between these but I think the sound is close to identical.

You can see the visual differences here:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001B1QENY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0024NK35S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I don't really understand the point of the metal wings or whatever they are on the DT880 Permiums. They don't help at all structurally and just get in the way when removing the head band.

Aug 14, 2020 at 5:49 AM Post #11,757 of 12,548
I don't really understand the point of the metal wings or whatever they are on the DT880 Permiums. They don't help at all structurally and just get in the way when removing the head band.
They don't add much to the style of the DT 880, the newer models look more stylish without them (and the nameplate) but don't sound the same. The 600Ω versions have low availability of the new models also.

Aug 14, 2020 at 4:02 PM Post #11,758 of 12,548
I, see, so "Premium" is simply what they called the 600 Ohm version in the past? Because it doesn't like they do that anymore and instead they either call them "Edition" or "Pro", no matter the Ohm.
Yeah, I know about the Pros having the coiled cable and more clamping force which is why I chose the Edition when I bought the DT 990.

Aug 15, 2020 at 5:41 AM Post #11,759 of 12,548
I used to have AKG K712, but sold them after couple of years as they just didn’t sound right with that increased bass. Recently got DT880 Black and love them out of the A20 amp. Even tried them against T1.2 Black for past three days, running non-stop, hoping those T1.2 will burn-in and settle, but in the end returned the T1.2 this morning. DT880 for their price are just perfect for the music I mainly listen to (electronica and industrial), while the T1.2 was just too much of everything. Never tried the Grey DT880 so can’t comment if they sound different, but as I like the sound of the DT880 Black edition I have no need to investigate further.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back