The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Feb 3, 2017 at 7:34 PM Post #10,577 of 12,546

The treble on the DT880's certainly doesn't bother me, but I listen mainly to classical and acoustic jazz and vocals. I love the clarity and airiness they bring. I have the Premium 250 ohm which are the most comfortable pair of headphones I've ever had.

Feb 3, 2017 at 7:48 PM Post #10,578 of 12,546
I just got the all black version. I think the headband is similar to the T90 and the pads might be a bit different than the standard version too.

It probably has the T90 pads and headband on it as just looking at pictures of it, it looks like the T90 Anniversary edition pads. The DT 880/990 black velours make things way too bright and dry. . Also the pads will change it's sound from a regular DT 880, maybe it smoothens the treble a little bit. Comfort should be akin to what you get out of a Tesla Beyer then. 

Feb 4, 2017 at 11:55 AM Post #10,579 of 12,546
  It probably has the T90 pads and headband on it as just looking at pictures of it, it looks like the T90 Anniversary edition pads. The DT 880/990 black velours make things way too bright and dry. . Also the pads will change it's sound from a regular DT 880, maybe it smoothens the treble a little bit. Comfort should be akin to what you get out of a Tesla Beyer then. 

Anyone else have experience with the LE880.250 vs premium/pro 250 and notice any differences with pads? Are they available separately?

Feb 4, 2017 at 6:35 PM Post #10,581 of 12,546
  does anyone know if a schiit fulla 2 dac/amp will drive the 600 ohm version?

Reading this from Schiit's site,
Quote: Schiit
Maximum Power, 300 ohms: 40mW RMS per channel

I doubt that it would work with the 600 ohm version and certainly wouldn't do them any justice.

Feb 4, 2017 at 7:30 PM Post #10,582 of 12,546
My schiit Jot runs them well, but other get loud I need to be around 12oclock on high gain. The Jot is pretty powerful, so the dt880 need the juice.

I have had the 880/600 run through less powerful amps, and the bass depth/definition was not there, also the treble was a lot less smooth and precise.

Feb 5, 2017 at 3:13 PM Post #10,583 of 12,546
Finally got around to snapping a couple more pics of my custom DT880's and stand, as requested.

Feb 6, 2017 at 11:03 AM Post #10,585 of 12,546
  I'll chime in as well, I have no issues with the treble on my DT880's 600ohm.  At least nothing I can discern. 

I use an Oppo 105, stereo outs to a Little Dot MK III.

the 880 is super tame to my ears with a usb dac/ mini tube amp (ocean). the 990 is hotter, but the hottest to my ear is 440.32. Man that thing can pierce through titanium i bet. But its surprisingly detailed and to my ears, with some decent low end. Nothing to write home about, but its different from typical beyers. Though with the 880.250, not 600.

For those with premium, do the yolkes flex more than pro. Seems more wiggly. Comfortable moreso at first, but man when that pro breaks in

can't be beat!
ksc75smile.gif

Feb 7, 2017 at 5:39 PM Post #10,586 of 12,546
Finally got around to snapping a couple more pics of my custom DT880's and stand, as requested.

I forgot to thank you for the closeup. I read some of your impressions from years back as I came across them while looking at battles of heavy hitters. But one of your comments struck me good. You're saying these are one of your go-to cans now? What happened to the other higher end ones you spoke of before in threads. Where do these rank if you had to have your top 10.

Feb 7, 2017 at 7:13 PM Post #10,587 of 12,546
  I forgot to thank you for the closeup. I read some of your impressions from years back as I came across them while looking at battles of heavy hitters. But one of your comments struck me good. You're saying these are one of your go-to cans now? What happened to the other higher end ones you spoke of before in threads. Where do these rank if you had to have your top 10.

x2. I would like to see an updated Skylab current headphones list (in order of preference) as well. 
popcorn.gif

Feb 9, 2017 at 6:21 AM Post #10,588 of 12,546
If anyone wants, feel free to give my EQ set a try on your DT880. I use this set on my DT880 250 Ohm Premium and it sounds fantastic. At default EQ, these headphones sound great. With this EQ, I think they sound even better. I do not agree though with people who claim that these headphones have piercing treble. This is simply not true. They are very revealing and detailed headphones, but certainly not ear piercing to me at all. I only find the treble to be a tiny bit aggressive on poor recordings. I used to own the DT770 250 Ohm a few years now. Wow, now that had fatiguing treble, yikes. It also had terrible, boomy, bloated, and overblown bass. The DT880 is a much better sounding headphone, without question.

35Hz = + 0.5
50Hz = + 0.5
65Hz = + 0.5
80Hz = + 0.5
8kHz = - 0.5
9kHz = - 0.5

Feb 9, 2017 at 1:18 PM Post #10,590 of 12,546

The problem with posting EQ changes, particularly minor EQ changes, without knowing the rest of the chain, is DACs sound different, amps sound different, which makes the headphones sound different.  

That is very true lol. But it gives an idea of the frequency areas or correction, and the amount roughly. At least you don't see like +20Db, -15db like in the basshead threads. I do a very light EQ tinkering when listening to Indian Classical/Ethiopian Jazz, Peruvian Psychedelic etc. Sometimes EQ off. Its very hard to judge the accuracy of instrument timbres because of the microphones and all other recording bits to the reproduction and to headphones used as well. I don;t think it will ever be the same as sitting beside a small group of musicians and jamming with no mics. This tabla player explained it well. This sense of realism is not so simple, which should be obvious, but its interesting how he explains how it also can be used to create new flavors , anyway its @34:34.

devil_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back