The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
May 9, 2016 at 7:27 PM Post #10,187 of 12,546
I'll be more specific for "team literal" here. In my opinion, it's not a fantastic cable. It's stiff and keeps a memory and it annoyed the hell outta me. Love the cans, hated the cable. The detachable cable mod was worth it.

May 11, 2016 at 9:46 AM Post #10,189 of 12,546
Just joined the club. Loved comparing the 600 ohm DT 880 to my HiFiMAN HE-500 and Sennheiser HD600. These have to be one of the best bargains out there, although they did give my Lyr a workout!

May 11, 2016 at 10:22 AM Post #10,190 of 12,546
  Just joined the club. Loved comparing the 600 ohm DT 880 to my HiFiMAN HE-500 and Sennheiser HD600. These have to be one of the best bargains out there, although they did give my Lyr a workout!

Welcome! I also had the HD600 as well as the K612 & DT880 and sold off the HD600 keeping the other two...not exactly sure why but like having the DT880 around to hear every now and then. I run mine from a Little Dot MKIII on a medium gain setting. They do sound excellent and the comfort level is up there too. 

May 11, 2016 at 11:29 AM Post #10,192 of 12,546
  Welcome! I also had the HD600 as well as the K612 & DT880 and sold off the HD600 keeping the other two...not exactly sure why but like having the DT880 around to hear every now and then. I run mine from a Little Dot MKIII on a medium gain setting. They do sound excellent and the comfort level is up there too. 

My HD600 works very well with my home theater receiver, so I doubt I'll sell that. The HD600 and DT880 might be the gateway to OTL tube amps, though....

So what is the result of your comparison?

I'd preface any comparison saying that the DT880 "sounds like work". In my opinion it's meant for critical listening and not necessarily for fun, although you can definitely do both. There's nothing particularly hyped about the sound (other than a slight 10kHz boost), but it's absolutely devoid of any noticeable flaws. They're great reference cans.

The sound signature overall quite reminded me of the HE-500 - they have a similar temperament and frequency response. The HE-500 "sounds like play", however: it mops the floor with the DT880 in every way, but not any one way in particular. It's as if the DT800 is the "work" version of a certain sound signature and the "play" version of that same sound signature.

The HD600 was another interesting comparison, as the HD600 is a little softer in both the deep bass realm and treble realm. The HD600 straddles the line of "work" and "play", and that's special.

May 11, 2016 at 1:24 PM Post #10,193 of 12,546
These have been on my wish list for years. Just got the 880 Pro 250Ohm version last week. I think the search for my favorite mid-fi is over. In the midst of writing my review on it now.

"To summarize this headphones sound signature in a few words I would say it's like a sip of hot chocolate while sitting in front of a warm fire on a cold day. It's inviting, yet polite and comforting. It's a great balance of transparency and detail in the treble, with a more forward mid-range for added warmth. It's a more "Sennheiserized" sound signature than the DT770/990, which I found to me more aggressive (V-shaped). Compared to the HD 600, Beyerdynamic adds a touch of sparkle to fix the "veil" up top while keeping the mid-range luscious and intimate."

May 12, 2016 at 5:38 AM Post #10,194 of 12,546
  These have been on my wish list for years. Just got the 880 Pro 250Ohm version last week. I think the search for my favorite mid-fi is over. In the midst of writing my review on it now.

"To summarize this headphones sound signature in a few words I would say it's like a sip of hot chocolate while sitting in front of a warm fire on a cold day. It's inviting, yet polite and comforting. It's a great balance of transparency and detail in the treble, with a more forward mid-range for added warmth. It's a more "Sennheiserized" sound signature than the DT770/990, which I found to me more aggressive (V-shaped). Compared to the HD 600, Beyerdynamic adds a touch of sparkle to fix the "veil" up top while keeping the mid-range luscious and intimate."

Great buy. One of my favorite headphones ever (the Premium version).  

May 14, 2016 at 11:12 AM Post #10,197 of 12,546
Forgive me if this isn't the right thread for this topic.

I've been the owner of these awesome headphones for the past 3 months now. I preferred their signature over the HD600s and HD650s both of which were for demo at the place I bought them from. Those two sounded great actually, but when I put on the DT880 I found that I quite enjoy high-end sparkle. I come from the ATHM50x so I've been used to sparkly highs. The thing is that I auditioned these cans using my android phone, so I knew that when amped, they would sound significantly different. But I decided to go with the DT880 anyway.

Back home, I found that I yearned for more mid-bass so I found myself reaching for the bass boost button on my Fiio e10k which I use to amp my headphones from my PC. A few weeks back, I started listening to the DT880 without the bass boost to burn in my brain for the new signature. Now, I find the bass boost to be "wrong" somehow (yay!).

I listen to a lot of genres like Rock, Pop, Electronic, Movie scores, Rap, Hip Hop, Dance, etc. as also watching some movie or playing a game once in a while (movies and gaming not as important). For portable use, I've been listening to my Klipsch S4 for years (and the Klipsch S2 for a few years before them) so I'm very used to an over-bright sound signature. The other day, I tried on my colleague's Soundmagic e10, and I found myself enjoying the laid back, but detailed sound coming from that budget pair. I had an epiphany! Perhaps I need a companion pair to my DT880s.

Sorry for the rant. I come to my point at last. What would make a darker companion to my DT880? I have heard the HD650s and the LCD2.2f although at different times and at different places. I liked the HD650s, but I would really love to own a pair of Audeze's. I would be powering them from the e10k, mind you. But an upgrade would be possible in the (not very much) distant future.

Off-topic to my discussion, but I guess more in line with this thread, is the e10k sufficient to power the DT880 250 ohm or will it benefit from a better amp?

May 14, 2016 at 1:50 PM Post #10,198 of 12,546

Off-topic to my discussion, but I guess more in line with this thread, is the e10k sufficient to power the DT880 250 ohm or will it benefit from a better amp?

Technically, yes. The E10K is certainly capable of powering the 880, even the 600 Ω version (what I have). The fact is that you don't really need absurd amounts of power to reach 85 - 90 dB.

On high gain, 4/8 is enough to be considered as a torture device for my ears.
But that's just me... your needs might be more than that.
The nice thing about the E10K is that you can still use it as a standalone DAC with another amp.

Although if you stick with the E10K, you'll certainly be made fun of. 
biggrin.gif

Just like I do...

May 15, 2016 at 4:23 PM Post #10,200 of 12,546
I briefly tried the DT880 600 ohms and I absolutely loved their sound. Extremely quick, limitless but not overtly sharp treble, punchy bass without bleeding into vocals, etc. However, my head is huge and on the maximum settings, they just didn't fit my head. On one side, the earcup would just touch my ear rather than surround it. I felt very disheartened. The DT880 are exactly what I'm looking for but unfortunately they're just a little too small for my big head. Any oval pads up for sale without sacrificing sound? :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back