The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Apr 9, 2016 at 2:28 PM Post #10,112 of 12,548
alright.. and a last question should i go for jds labs or mayflower.. i get the jds labs a bit cheaper.. will der be any change in the sound quality is my final concern...

They do have basically same parts (maybe there is a little bit quality difference but nothing to be worried about) so go with JDS one. Btw go for the standard gain version of O2+ODAC(2.5x - 6.5x). It will be better for 600ohms.

Apr 9, 2016 at 10:27 PM Post #10,117 of 12,548
They hurt on the top of my head after extended use. Will this be go away with time, or only worsen?

I'm gonna switch back to Sennheisers if not, they are very lightweight and have that good padding on top, never had any pain on top of my head with those before.

Thanks for any help! :)

Apr 9, 2016 at 10:59 PM Post #10,118 of 12,548
You can probably get used to it. These aren't the most padded up top, but its weight and low clamping force (assuming you have the Premiums, though the Pros aren't that much worse) makes up for it. Generally the most comfortable of the classic trio (DT880, K70x, HD6x0).

Perhaps you can try wearing them in different positions on your head? Maybe it's just a matter of finding the right spot.

Apr 10, 2016 at 2:49 PM Post #10,120 of 12,548
No more thin sounding, iFi micro iCan SE revived my dt880/600. On +12db dip settings the volume pot is between 9 and 12 o'clock, no need for +24db. 

Did it smooth out the harsh brightness and treble peaks too?

Apr 10, 2016 at 3:01 PM Post #10,121 of 12,548
Did it smooth out the harsh brightness and treble peaks too?

I think so. The amp is pretty new, seven days old and may be more burn-in is needed. In the first days the amp was fairly bright but now I don't find it bright. I have to listen some harsh sounding metal albums but right now I'm satisfied with the results with iFi dac/amp combo.

PS -Bjork voice in Medulla and Volta is very sibilant , the sibilance is still there, but not so painful as I remember. But this is the records problem, for example Tingvall Trio sounds heavenly. 

Apr 10, 2016 at 7:24 PM Post #10,122 of 12,548
Hey guys - I have the 600ohm DT880, looking into the AM2 amp module for the FiiO X7, but something is holding me back.

Here is a snippet from the spec sheet:

Output Power 1>300 mW(32Ω/1 kHz)Output Impedance<0.5Ω(32Ω load)
Output Power 2>350 mW(16Ω/1 kHz)Channel Separation>72 dB(32Ω/1 kHz)
Output Power 3>30 mW(300Ω/1 kHz)THD+N<0.001% (32Ω/1 kHz)

Doesn't sound like nearly enough power to drive the DT880 600ohm. 

Any thoughts on this please? 

Apr 10, 2016 at 9:06 PM Post #10,123 of 12,548
  Hey guys - I have the 600ohm DT880, looking into the AM2 amp module for the FiiO X7, but something is holding me back.

Here is a snippet from the spec sheet:

Doesn't sound like nearly enough power to drive the DT880 600ohm. 

Any thoughts on this please? 

It will work just fine for normal listening levels and most recordings.
No extra room for extremely shy recordings or really loud levels.

Apr 13, 2016 at 10:44 PM Post #10,124 of 12,548
For the first time in many, many hours of listening, I've felt that my DT880s had let me down. Specifically, I've been listening to a new purchase, a CD of Nathalie Dessay singing Handel (the album is called Delirio...and holy crap is it beautiful). Dessay is one of the best if not the best soprano currently in the business, and she excels at gorgeous highs with accompaniment.  Here's the exact piece I was listening to, although I was listening to a lossless version of the CD:

Anyway, some of the highs seemed off. A touch sibilant, and I felt that they were a touch painful and sort of created an almost muddied sound that was perhaps as much of a feeling as a sound. Not sure. Anyway, there it is. I've also listened to the same music on my DT770s and didn't quite have the same experience.

Not sure what to make of it...although I wonder if perhaps I have found the limits of at least my particular pair of cans.

Dare I ask...what would be a step up from the DT880s?

Apr 14, 2016 at 4:04 AM Post #10,125 of 12,548
For the first time in many, many hours of listening, I've felt that my DT880s had let me down. Specifically, I've been listening to a new purchase, a CD of Nathalie Dessay singing Handel (the album is called Delirio...and holy crap is it beautiful). Dessay is one of the best if not the best soprano currently in the business, and she excels at gorgeous highs with accompaniment.  Here's the exact piece I was listening to, although I was listening to a lossless version of the CD:

Anyway, some of the highs seemed off. A touch sibilant, and I felt that they were a touch painful and sort of created an almost muddied sound that was perhaps as much of a feeling as a sound. Not sure. Anyway, there it is. I've also listened to the same music on my DT770s and didn't quite have the same experience.

Not sure what to make of it...although I wonder if perhaps I have found the limits of at least my particular pair of cans.

Dare I ask...what would be a step up from the DT880s?

So you listened to the same recording on exactly the same system and the dt880s were too sibilant on the vocals and the dt770s were not? To make a comparison, everything must be identical, only changing the cans.

Since this cd is a NEW purchase, it could be this recording. You could listen for similar problems on similar material. One recording isn't enough to define a can as sibilant.

I'm not saying the dt880 is the best can in the world, there are more refined products out there. But I don't find my dt880 to be too sibilant, though some recordings are.

IMOYMMV etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back