The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Apr 4, 2016 at 3:19 PM Post #10,083 of 12,548
I've been wanting replacement pads. But they are expensive. Any deals out there?

I got the correct number for replacement pads for my DT880 and bought them on ebay wasn't too bad 20 or 30 bucks I think. 

Apr 4, 2016 at 6:05 PM Post #10,084 of 12,548
  I got the correct number for replacement pads for my DT880 and bought them on ebay wasn't too bad 20 or 30 bucks I think. 

Is it universally the same for all DT880 models? Or are there specifications for each DT880 ever made?

If the former can you please share the number for the replacement pads?

Apr 4, 2016 at 8:01 PM Post #10,085 of 12,548
Delivery finally arrived! Just got my hands on these DT 880 Premium 600 ohms.  First impressions: Boy are these phones ever so bright! A lot of highs and treble to the point of some fatigue.  People were not kidding when they say these are bright!  With classical they are a lovely match! However with main stream pop, rock, r&b music I'm not so sure if its the right phones to use.  Not sure if they will have less bright affect once burned in as only use them for about 4 hours so far out of the brand new box.  Might have return them if or get some tube amp to tone down the harsh highs.  

Apr 4, 2016 at 8:31 PM Post #10,086 of 12,548
On 4 at high gain. I change it to 6 if the source is quiet. A900X have same loudness when i am using it with low gain 2-3 clock.

I've tried the E10K 4/8 on high for two days now. I think it's too loud for me.
Had to set foobar at -15 to -18 dB on most songs.
Still indistinguishable from the O2 though.

P.S. I just realized you had the 250 Ω. This was with the 600 Ω.

Quote:
  Not sure if they will have less bright affect once burned in as only use them for about 4 hours so far out of the brand new box.

Your ears might get used to the brightness eventually. You can try setting your volume veeeeery precisely so that it'll be just right in terms of brightness. Well, that goes for most Beyers as well...

Apr 5, 2016 at 1:10 AM Post #10,087 of 12,548
So, my DT880 250ohm arrived today.
Before burn in i can say that they are not engaging so much. Compared to A900X everything sounds like classical music on DT880. They are uncoloured yet natural and detailed headphones. And have airy feeling in it which i cant describe well. People say they are pretty bright headphones and they are right. They are bright but have relaxed kind of highs, i mean they wont fatigue your ears if you dont have a problem with high frequencies. In terms of bass, it is meh for me. Mids do sound strange compared to mid-high focused A900X. Vocals on these are sounding "nostalgic" for me, i dont still know why i use the term nostalgic but i cant describe them better than that. And btw comfort is superb, nothing like i have ever tried. So far i am happy with them, and they can be considered as a big upgrade over A900X in my opinion. They are boring but you do relax when listening to them.
Plus guitar sounds really good on these, so when you listening rock music it really shines.
PS: I am using Fiio E10K for powering them.

You don't find the FiiO E10K underpowered for them?  I think the specs are only Output Power at 200 mW @ 32 ohm.  i"m using a FiiO K5 on high gain and volume know is at 11' o'clock but not sure if these are driving the properly? Since i'm not even half way and find them loud enough i'm going to guess there's enough voltage/power ?

Apr 5, 2016 at 6:10 AM Post #10,088 of 12,548
You don't find the FiiO E10K underpowered for them?  I think the specs are only Output Power at 200 mW @ 32 ohm.  i"m using a FiiO K5 on high gain and volume know is at 11' o'clock but not sure if these are driving the properly? Since i'm not even half way and find them loud enough i'm going to guess there's enough voltage/power ?

I can say that they sound like pretty powerless compared to A900X with Fiio E10K. But i guess i was listening too loud with them and i am not trying to get high volumes nowadays, still i really cant say DT880 can give you high volumes with E10K but still i can enjoy classical even if it is not too loud.

Apr 5, 2016 at 8:54 AM Post #10,089 of 12,548
I can say that they sound like pretty powerless compared to A900X with Fiio E10K. But i guess i was listening too loud with them and i am not trying to get high volumes nowadays, still i really cant say DT880 can give you high volumes with E10K but still i can enjoy classical even if it is not too loud.

thats the symptom of an underpowered headphone.  thin sound.  Brightness shouldnt be tamed by tubes.  focus on the power needs, then sweeten it with tube selection.

Apr 5, 2016 at 9:30 AM Post #10,090 of 12,548

I power my DT880's (600 Ohm) from a Little Dot MKIII on medium (5) gain setting...sounds good but they do require some power to sound their best. I also have a burly SS amp (Keces HA-171) and that does a good job also. Bottom line these need something with b@!!s to power them. Obviously I'm speaking of my 600 Ohm variant...never heard the others.

Apr 5, 2016 at 9:41 AM Post #10,091 of 12,548
thats the symptom of an underpowered headphone.  thin sound.  Brightness shouldnt be tamed by tubes.  focus on the power needs, then sweeten it with tube selection.

"Thin" isn't what I'd personally call the 880s, but that's how many people perceive it on fairly neutral solid state amps. More power is just volume, but better/well designed amps can be "better"... or just yield more of the "P" word. I think it better to train one's ears to be acclimated with ~85 dB listening levels.

Apr 5, 2016 at 9:54 AM Post #10,092 of 12,548
More power is not just about volume. It's about headroom and how much draw the headphone has. This is the reason grados sound horrible on the crack amp. Complete mismatch. Matching impedance is often overlooked here.

I'm just saying. You can't fuel a fire hose with a squirt gun.

Apr 5, 2016 at 10:06 AM Post #10,093 of 12,548
   More power is just volume, but better/well designed amps can be "better"... or just yield more of the "P" word.

My 600 DT880 sounds "good" on my 120@32 amp, but the main difference I notice on my 900@32 amp is a bigger soundstage.  It also might be a little less "shouty," or perhaps less "thin," but I don't recall at this time.  I was surprised how nice they sound overall on the 120@32, but the soundstage size is very noticeable to me.

I didn't notice that kind of difference for the 250 DT990 or Q701.  

The relatively wimpy Xonar DG card has enough volume to blow my ears with the 250 DT990, but that doesn't mean it doesn't sound underpowered.

Apr 5, 2016 at 10:14 AM Post #10,094 of 12,548
More power is not just about volume. It's about headroom and how much draw the headphone has. This is the reason grados sound horrible on the crack amp. Complete mismatch. Matching impedance is often overlooked here.

I'm just saying. You can't fuel a fire hose with a squirt gun.

Well that's tubes, I was talking about SS.
My point is that it's the power requirements that are mostly exaggerated.
You don't really need much to reach loud (90 dB+) volumes with the 880 - 600 Ω.
88 mW can already get you near 114 dB.

Quote:

The relatively wimpy Xonar DG card has enough volume to blow my ears with the 250 DT990, but that doesn't mean it doesn't sound underpowered.

Well, being a "card" has it's own set of variables it has to deal with. Mainly interference.

Apr 5, 2016 at 12:29 PM Post #10,095 of 12,548
  What is harder to drive. K702 or DT 880 250 ohm? :)

K702 is harder to drive.
It needs the same voltage but being 62 Ohms it drains much more current.
Most separate amplifiers will provide enough current for K702 without increasing distortion, so both are similalry hard to drive in the big scheme of things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back