The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Jan 22, 2016 at 7:15 PM Post #9,691 of 12,548

True. There's definitely a far greater gap in price between top line and mids like 650 and 880 than in sound quality.

I actually think the 880 is underestimated. My phones are slightly modified in having a layer of flannalette placed in the cups (made a huge difference, no idea why), and I'm using a Beyer A1 clone, and the sound on classical is positively concert hall; I've given up my ambitions of moving to T1 etc. I don't think the true potential of the 880 has been fully explored yet.

I enjoy my dt880 a good bit more than I enjoyed my t1 (which i owned for 3 years) for classical music.
Incidentally classical music is mostly what I listen to.
My 2 cents.

beyersmile.png

Jan 22, 2016 at 11:48 PM Post #9,695 of 12,548

True. There's definitely a far greater gap in price between top line and mids like 650 and 880 than in sound quality.

I actually think the 880 is underestimated. My phones are slightly modified in having a layer of flannalette placed in the cups (made a huge difference, no idea why), and I'm using a Beyer A1 clone, and the sound on classical is positively concert hall; I've given up my ambitions of moving to T1 etc. I don't think the true potential of the 880 has been fully explored yet.

Beyers have really good drivers in them(some of the best in dynamic headphone market) and they respond very well with dampening mods. I don't have a DT 880 currently, but I can tell the sound quality coming out of my DT 990 LE(got really cheap and sounds different than the normal DT 990, which I plan to add dampening to and pad roll) is higher than that of the HD 650, but the HD 650 has excellent tuning and a warm fuzzy feeling to their sound that's addicting. Honestly the original T1 didn't have proper dampening in it, which was addressed with the Gen 2. 

Jan 23, 2016 at 11:03 PM Post #9,696 of 12,548
Yesterday Leo Kottke's 12 string had a warmer "more correct" texture via DT880 than via HD650. Sure, the top-end was a bit livelier, but the 12 string round tone was wonderful. I'll just DT880 for a few days.

Jan 24, 2016 at 6:26 AM Post #9,697 of 12,548
I just ordered a pair of the 250ohm version. Can't wait till they arrive! I've read that the Magni V.1 is more than enough to power them, but I also have heard the same thing about the K612, and it was highly false.

Jan 24, 2016 at 9:31 AM Post #9,698 of 12,548
  I just ordered a pair of the 250ohm version. Can't wait till they arrive! I've read that the Magni V.1 is more than enough to power them, but I also have heard the same thing about the K612, and it was highly false.

What do you mean?
Magni 1 has plenty of power for K612.

Did you maxed out the levels at your source?
Something might be wrong in your chain (or defective Magni)

Jan 24, 2016 at 10:02 AM Post #9,699 of 12,548
  What do you mean?
Magni 1 has plenty of power for K612.

Did you maxed out the levels at your source?
Something might be wrong in your chain (or defective Magni)

Maxed out and it's at an alright level. There is absolutely NO headroom. Every other pair of my headphones that I used it with are ridiculously loud around 3 O'clock. I have to turn it all the way up, and it's still not loud enough, plus anything with sub bass flutters the mids ridiculously, and yes, my source is all the way up. I highly doubt there's anything wrong with my Magni. The headphone out on my Scarlett 2i2 sure as heck has no problems, so It's up to the headphones.

I even hooked it up to my Sony receiver and it powered them muuuch better. At 2 O'clock, it was as loud as the others on the Magni at 3, but it still had that sub bass distort/flutter problem, just not as bad. I was planning on buying a Matrix M-stage for them, but crap happened and I wasn't able to. When I mix music in my DAW, I keep everything fairly low volume to keep from clipping.. I can compensate for that with all of my past headphones, but due to no headroom with these, it's not happening, lol. Also, the funny thing is, is that I bought the Magni a few years ago because a few reviews said that it should be able to run a pair of AKG K240 600 Ohm with no problem... That was clearly a lie.

Jan 24, 2016 at 11:25 AM Post #9,700 of 12,548
  Maxed out and it's at an alright level. There is absolutely NO headroom. Every other pair of my headphones that I used it with are ridiculously loud around 3 O'clock. I have to turn it all the way up, and it's still not loud enough, plus anything with sub bass flutters the mids ridiculously, and yes, my source is all the way up. I highly doubt there's anything wrong with my Magni. The headphone out on my Scarlett 2i2 sure as heck has no problems, so It's up to the headphones.

I even hooked it up to my Sony receiver and it powered them muuuch better. At 2 O'clock, it was as loud as the others on the Magni at 3, but it still had that sub bass distort/flutter problem, just not as bad. I was planning on buying a Matrix M-stage for them, but crap happened and I wasn't able to. When I mix music in my DAW, I keep everything fairly low volume to keep from clipping.. I can compensate for that with all of my past headphones, but due to no headroom with these, it's not happening, lol. Also, the funny thing is, is that I bought the Magni a few years ago because a few reviews said that it should be able to run a pair of AKG K240 600 Ohm with no problem... That was clearly a lie.

I had the Magni 1 and it was more than powerful for my K702, even for my 600 Ohm T1s.
It should be ridiculosly loud around 3 O'clock with the K612 indeed, even 1 O'clock should be really loud.

What's you DAC?

Jan 24, 2016 at 1:43 PM Post #9,701 of 12,548

I think I have heard that so many times from people who know (or give the impression of knowing) headphones. I am kicking myself for going with the popular opinion of DT990s over 880s. Now 3 years later and after having had both to compare, I can positively say that nothing in 990 is superior to 880 without taking away from the soul of the music.

The 990s still serve a good purpose for movies and youtube, and even games perhaps. Although I am not a gamer by any means.

Jan 24, 2016 at 6:04 PM Post #9,702 of 12,548
  I had the Magni 1 and it was more than powerful for my K702, even for my 600 Ohm T1s.
It should be ridiculosly loud around 3 O'clock with the K612 indeed, even 1 O'clock should be really loud.

What's you DAC?

I have an audio interface. Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. I've read that the K612's are waaaay more insensitive than the K702, and even more than the HD600, but I'm not really sure how the 600's compare to the T1's.

Jan 24, 2016 at 6:08 PM Post #9,703 of 12,548
I have an audio interface. Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. I've read that the K612's are waaaay more insensitive than the K702, and even more than the HD600, but I'm not really sure how the 600's compare to the T1's.
I've got both, not much difference on the the volume pot on any of my amps. I've also got the 880's and it's the same. All schiit amps should drive these well easily. I've got vahalla2, matrix m-stage, and a violectric. No problems with any.

Jan 24, 2016 at 6:33 PM Post #9,705 of 12,548
Got both of what? I'm a little twisted up. :confused_face_2:
600's, t1's, 880's. It doesn't take much more on the volume of any of my amps to drive these. I even had the vali1 last year and half max was unbearable. Are you using a laptop? The music player on p/c has to be set to full volume, then use external amp to adjust it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back