The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Aug 14, 2015 at 6:09 PM Post #9,331 of 12,546
If any DT880 owner is looking to buy IEM's from Beyer, here's my advice: Listen to them before you buy them.

Not that they're bad, but they are nothing like what we're used to from Beyerdynamic. I've recently purchased an iDX 160 ie, which is their TOTL IEM, and although they sound fantastic, they sound nothing like a Beyer. More rumble than impact, a lean, somewhat recessed midrange and bright treble are some of the things this IEM does NOT have. But if you're looking for a change from the Beyer house sound I guess you'll like them. They sound much closer to the HD650's than the DT880's to my ears. 

Oh, and the build is surprising as well (in a bad way). They have a really thin cable and plastic housing, not built to last. But I love their sound, and thats the reason I got them and I don't regret it. 

Aug 14, 2015 at 10:11 PM Post #9,332 of 12,546
I'm a bit xkonfuzed. So you're telling us in a Beyer thread that you don't like the Beyer sound, which is apparently "more rumble than impact, a lean, somewhat recessed midrange and bright treble", and that we shouldn't buy Beyer IEMs because they sound more like Sennheiser, which apparently you love. Well, I guess you're doing us a service really, even if I can't agree with your description of the Beyer sound (at least, not the 880), but I still have the feeling I've missed a double negative somewhere in your post.

Aug 14, 2015 at 10:43 PM Post #9,333 of 12,546
  I'm a bit xkonfuzed. So you're telling us in a Beyer thread that you don't like the Beyer sound, which is apparently "more rumble than impact, a lean, somewhat recessed midrange and bright treble", and that we shouldn't buy Beyer IEMs because they sound more like Sennheiser, which apparently you love. Well, I guess you're doing us a service really, even if I can't agree with your description of the Beyer sound (at least, not the 880), but I still have the feeling I've missed a double negative somewhere in your post.

I took his post to mean that if you love the 880, the in ears do not have a comparable sound.  I don't think he is saying that he doesn't like the beyer sound, just that he was surprised that the in ear sound was nothing like the full can sound.  I could be wrong though.  its happened once before.

Aug 15, 2015 at 8:12 AM Post #9,334 of 12,546

Where did I say that I didn't like the Beyer sound? And when did I say that you shouldn't buy Beyer IEM's?

I am simply saying that they are a departure from the Beyer house sound, which to me btw, is exactly how I described it, and therefore many people won't like them. I don't think you are reading and understanding properly. But you know, maybe that came with age.

Aug 15, 2015 at 8:59 AM Post #9,335 of 12,546

Where did I say that I didn't like the Beyer sound? And when did I say that you shouldn't buy Beyer IEM's?

I am simply saying that they are a departure from the Beyer house sound, which to me btw, is exactly how I described it, and therefore many people won't like them. I don't think you are reading and understanding properly. But you know, maybe that came with age.

Oh dear, here we go again. Now I don't understand your last sentence.

Aug 15, 2015 at 9:14 AM Post #9,336 of 12,546

I was on your side till the last sentance. Sounds like an attempt at an insult, which ain't cool.

Aug 15, 2015 at 9:51 AM Post #9,337 of 12,546
I was on your side till the last sentance. Sounds like an attempt at an insult, which ain't cool.

Appreciate that but there are no sides here. We are not fighting.

Oh dear, here we go again. Now I don't understand your last sentence.

If I have offended you somehow, my apologies. It just would have been nicer for you to reply to my post (which was intended to help people) in not such a rude way.

At this point we can either shake it off like men or continue arguing. Your choice really. Either way have a nice day :)

Aug 15, 2015 at 12:38 PM Post #9,338 of 12,546
Yeah!
We needed someone to argue with pp312 since Shaffer blocked him.
This is DT880's thread again.
Keep the good work guys!
popcorn.gif

(I'm not being serious)

I appreciate xkonfuzed comment about Beyerdynamic IEMs, I've read that somewhere else too, and I don't think it's great since one expect a brand to maintain sort of a characteristic sound signature among (at least) their TOTL products - "their right sound", you know...

But well, pretty sure they know what they're doing.
After all, they need to sell and I might not be a representative customer.

We can discuss Beyerdynamic's sound signature.
I think there's where you guys might disagree

Aug 16, 2015 at 12:08 AM Post #9,339 of 12,546
Yeah!

Keep the good work guys!
:popcorn:

(I'm not being serious)

I appreciate xkonfuzed comment about Beyerdynamic IEMs, I've read that somewhere else too, and I don't think it's great since one expect a brand to maintain sort of a characteristic sound signature among (at least) their TOTL products - "their right sound", you know...

Ok let's discuss the sound signature.

I always hear a lot about the Beyerdynamic house sound but fail to fully understand what that actually is.

My T50p didn't sound like my DT770 which doesn't sound like the DT880 I had, or the T90s or the T1 but I do think that the iems like the 72 and 102 (only ones I have) sound similar to the COPs.

I think the "house sound" comes from a generalization of some flagship (or just very popular) models. Same goes with Sennheiser, my HD25-1 vs Momentum vs HD650 vs HD598 === hard to find the "house sound" with such different sounding headphones.

Now, let's discuss :)

Cheers,
K

Aug 16, 2015 at 2:50 AM Post #9,340 of 12,546
  If I have offended you somehow, my apologies. It just would have been nicer for you to reply to my post (which was intended to help people) in not such a rude way.

At this point we can either shake it off like men or continue arguing. Your choice really. Either way have a nice day
smily_headphones1.gif

Actually I wasn't aware that my post came across as rude. In fact I actually acknowledged (without irony) that your post did us all a service. If it seemed rude then I apologize. It was intended merely to prod you to clarify what to me seemed a little unclear. 

Meantime, I seem to have become the resident ogre around here. And here I thought I was such a nice guy. 
tongue.gif

Aug 16, 2015 at 3:42 AM Post #9,341 of 12,546

Meantime, I seem to have become the resident ogre around here. And here I thought I was such a nice guy. 
tongue.gif

If the new Mjolnir 2 can be tube and solidstate, then you can be the ogre and the nice guy here!

Aug 16, 2015 at 5:52 PM Post #9,342 of 12,546
  Yeah!
Keep the good work guys!
popcorn.gif

(I'm not being serious)

Yup, lets discuss that 
beyersmile.png

Actually I wasn't aware that my post came across as rude. In fact I actually acknowledged (without irony) that your post did us all a service. If it seemed rude then I apologize. It was intended merely to prod you to clarify what to me seemed a little unclear. 

tongue.gif

No harm done 
beerchug.gif

Anyway, to clarify regarding the iDX 160 ie, what I meant is that they have a sound signature that might not appeal to die-hard Beyer fans who have grown accustomed to their general sound signature. Luckily for me I enjoy both neutral and warm signatures, with a slight preference to warmth. 

Disclaimer: What you're about to read is very subjective. 
If I had to summarize the iDX 160 ie's, here's what I'd say: Think of every single characteristic that makes a Beyerdynamic headphone - not only regarding sound. They are (usually) built extraordinarily well with really thick cables, are supremely comfortable, and are usually bright with slightly withdrawn midrange (the DT880 suffers rather less of these characteristics). Now think of the direct antonym to every characteristic I just mentioned, and you have the 160's. They are not built well. They are in no way comfortable, or at least to my ears they aren't. They have a really thin cable. In terms of sound they are very warm and somewhat dark. They have a lot more midbass punch/impact than subbass, which to me is not typical of a Beyer headphone. The lower mids have a good amount of presence and the upper registers are tamed. This is not a bright IEM whatsoever. But they have a very smooth and easy-going sound signature that makes them extremely enjoyable, they also have excellent timbre and detail. 

Enough of Beyer's IEM, I want to add my opinion of Beyer's house sound. I have listened to the DT770/880/990 and the COP. IMO they all share a common trait which is that they all seem to have emphasized treble around the 5k-7k region, making them sound extremely clean and grain-free. I feel like they have a lot more subbass than midbass (especially the DT770), and all have somewhat recessed mids, again, the DT880 suffers in a very minor way from that problem. 

Aug 16, 2015 at 6:33 PM Post #9,343 of 12,546
Beyer dont really have a house sound as such. I started with the DT931, and have had DT250, DT531, DT770, DT880 and DT990 and they all sound a fair bit different from one another. They make generally robust and comfy headphones but they don't really sound like each other.

Aug 20, 2015 at 2:44 AM Post #9,344 of 12,546
Question, if I was going to get a replacement headband, I would have to take the stock one off wouldn't I?

Aug 20, 2015 at 4:35 AM Post #9,345 of 12,546
I don't know, guys. I think I agree with the original descriptor of the sound sig. I think a lot of the beyers sound very similar, most differences being found in the level of midbass and how deep the upper-mid recession is. All have the characteristic 10lHz ish peak and airiness. To be fair, I've listened to the 880, 990, and T1. I do think what measurements I've seen could validate this, but again, I've never heard the 770, T90, T70, or T5. The ones I've heard seem to have a neutral-to-cold tonality with dry sounding mids and they are a little distant sounding. I find their treble presentation similar, and of the three I tried, only the T1 had a bit too much up top for me.

Side note, has anyone here heard the McIntosh MHP1000? Its a very expensive headphone, but I listened to it briefly while I was going through a phase of enjoying warm headphones, which they are not. I'm curious if anyone has thoughts on these in a Beyer thread (which seems to share a similar-ish signature).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back