The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Jul 8, 2015 at 9:52 PM Post #9,241 of 12,546
Unreasonable price. Plus I've read some really damning things about the T1 from veterans, and even the praise from fans doesn't seem to justify the price difference.

Jul 8, 2015 at 11:32 PM Post #9,242 of 12,546
  Unreasonable price. Plus I've read some really damning things about the T1 from veterans, and even the praise from fans doesn't seem to justify the price difference.

The T1 is pretty much better than the DT 880 in most ways, but it does admittedly have some treble issues, though from what I gather it's caused by lack of dampening in the housing chamber. I'm personally debating between the DT 880 Premium(don't like the Pro's comfort or heavy coiled cable) and the T1 as my next headphone, it all depends if I can get the T1 for a good price($750 or lower) and if I'm ultimately willing to spend that much, otherwise I'm getting the DT 880 600 ohm.

Jul 9, 2015 at 12:10 AM Post #9,243 of 12,546

The T1 is pretty much better than the DT 880 in most ways, but it does admittedly have some treble issues, though from what I gather it's caused by lack of dampening in the housing chamber. I'm personally debating between the DT 880 Premium(don't like the Pro's comfort or heavy coiled cable) and the T1 as my next headphone, it all depends if I can get the T1 for a good price($750 or lower) and if I'm ultimately willing to spend that much, otherwise I'm getting the DT 880 600 ohm.

dt880 has peak on the 9khz area right?
Where is the treble peak of the T1? Also 9 khz but Louder?

Jul 9, 2015 at 12:30 AM Post #9,244 of 12,546

Yes it does, the peak doesn't really bother me on the DT 880 on a good system at all, same with the DT 990 which I like just as much as the DT 880. It's partly the problem with the T1, it's just somewhat tizzy and sharp up top. I don't find it fatiguing though and the newer T1s seem to be better about the treble. A lot comes down to the system how the treble can be as well. The T1 is definitely a league above the DT 880 though and quite a bit more musical.

Jul 9, 2015 at 12:36 AM Post #9,245 of 12,546
Yes it does, the peak doesn't really bother me on the DT 880 on a good system at all, same with the DT 990 which I like just as much as the DT 880. It's partly the problem with the T1, it's just somewhat tizzy and sharp up top. I don't find it fatiguing though and the newer T1s seem to be better about the treble. A lot comes down to the system how the treble can be as well. The T1 is definitely a league above the DT 880 though and quite a bit more musical.

dt880 is musical enough when the pads are half-compressed, lol.
I really like my dt880, but one of my inner ear develops sensitivity and inner ear pain when listening to them over 30 minutes. The diagnosis is sensitivity to High Frequency sound. Correlates that with dt880 9khz peak, my guess is my sensitivity is probably around that area (hence reason for selling).

Now is on the way to it's new owner, and I'm still regrets selling them, haha.

Jul 9, 2015 at 12:45 AM Post #9,246 of 12,546
dt880 is musical enough when the pads are half-compressed, lol.
I really like my dt880, but one of my inner ear develops sensitivity and inner ear pain when listening to them over 30 minutes. The diagnosis is sensitivity to High Frequency sound. Correlates that with dt880 9khz peak, my guess is my sensitivity is probably around that area (hence reason for selling).

Now is on the way to it's new owner, and I'm still regrets selling them, haha.

If that happened then it is probably best you sold the DT 880 despite regretting selling them. Only other way is to find a system to help smooth the treble and refine the sound a bit more. My K712 used to cause me inner ear pain now it's one of my least fatiguing headphones. The Senn HD 600 and HD 650 bother my ears more than my other phones now. If you still want the Beyer sound but without brightness in the high frequencies, I highly suggest you look at the DT 150. One of the only Beyers I like more than the DT 880 and DT 990, its a bit dark and bodacious sounding, but it's midrange and vocals are to die for.

Jul 9, 2015 at 1:27 AM Post #9,247 of 12,546
Quote:

My T1 (sn. a little over 16000) is like a DT880 with just a tad more bass body and extension, slightly more forward upper mids (1,5 kHz - 2,5 kHz) more like an AKG but less shouty, and still slightly bright treble, although less prone to sound sibilant than my DT880. Incressed resolution all across the spectrum vs DT880, specially in the bass region. Soundstage on the T1 is frontal, precise and layered. Much better in this regard than my DT880, and even better than my beloved K702.

Like the other flagships, it's quite expensive relative to the already very good DT880, can't deny it.
But if it happens that you have 1k to spend and don't find a better plan...
T1s are superb headphones!

Jul 9, 2015 at 2:13 AM Post #9,248 of 12,546

I'll try my best, still take this with a grain of salt.

My DT880's 'peak' is just a bit higher in the spectrum than the similar 'peak' on my T1.
DT880's 'peak' seems centered around 8700 Hz, while T1's 'peak' is close to 8300 Hz.
T1's peak is not significantly louder. (1dB or 2dB louder, could be...)

But main difference is not there in my experience.
While my DT880 has another (slightly wider) 'peak' centered at 6000 Hz, my T1 doesn't have a peak there.
My DT880 is almost 5 dB louder than the T1 at 6000 Hz.
DT880 is significantly louder in the area between 5000 Hz and 7000 Hz.
This is likely the reason for the T1 being less prone to sibilance.

Jul 9, 2015 at 8:41 PM Post #9,249 of 12,546
I find it really interesting that you had a painful ear problem that you feel was caused by the DT880.  I had a very similar experience after purchasing a DT880 600.  For the first time in my listening life I wound up with tinnitus in my right ear after a couple of long listening sessions with my new 880s.  I do not listen at very high volumes, but the same volumes that I listen with other HPs certainly caused a nasty case of tinnitus that actually took about 2 weeks to subside.  I have been a bit hesitant about blaming this on my newly purchased 880s but your mention of ear pain possibly being caused by your 880s certainly caught my attention.

Jul 11, 2015 at 9:09 PM Post #9,250 of 12,546
I had been listening to my DT880's as my main can for awhile and got it (tinnitus) myself. Is it possible for the hp to be the issue??? Any ENT out there?

Jul 11, 2015 at 10:45 PM Post #9,251 of 12,546
My right ear can't equalize from the beginning (the vestibular neurinitis issue). So as for my case, I think it's isolated to myself and the dt880 just exacerbates that.

I did try EQ-ing them 6db down but it's still the same, hence the reason for selling. And now they're gone...

@CADCAM, remember the 4000i? That's the whole reason I'm getting a 400i. Which solves my inner ear pain problem.
But I can't stand the headphone clamp, so I'm selling them too... as we talk on PM.

Jul 12, 2015 at 5:32 PM Post #9,252 of 12,546
@CADCAM, remember the 4000i? That's the whole reason I'm getting a 400i. Which solves my inner ear pain problem. But I can't stand the headphone clamp, so I'm selling them too... as we talk on PM.

Yea I remember now! Good luck I hope you find something that works long term so you can get back to just enjoying the music.

Jul 12, 2015 at 11:09 PM Post #9,253 of 12,546
  Yea I remember now! Good luck I hope you find something that works long term so you can get back to just enjoying the music.

I do! the 325e (despite the overwhelming brightness) is agreeing with my ears. No tinnitus nor inner ear pain, which is awesome.
Ah.... so the dt880 is where I saw your many posts. Anyway, the 400i is sold now, unexpectedly. The same day with the dt880, so... I'm good now.

Jul 16, 2015 at 12:40 AM Post #9,254 of 12,546
Just got a used pair for $100 :D

The thing is, I seem to have the DT880 Premium with 250 ohm impedance (quick multimeter test). I've found it on Beyer's website listed as the DT880 HZ which basically has the look of the Premium 600 ohm, but just the different impedance. Drivers are well burned in, but my ears aren't, so right now they sound a little tinny. Considering I've come from heavy-bass land, they sound pretty good for a first try with vocals and most instruments. Kicks on drums and bassier strings like cellos etc sound a bit distant, but like I said, I used to crank those 10-20hz bands like crazy.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with the purchase since they were well kept in a smoke-free environment (my last used pair were AKG K702s that lived 3ish years in a smoker's home, but still a great buy and cleaned up well)

Jul 16, 2015 at 3:02 AM Post #9,255 of 12,546
  Just got a used pair for $100 :D

The thing is, I seem to have the DT880 Premium with 250 ohm impedance (quick multimeter test). I've found it on Beyer's website listed as the DT880 HZ which basically has the look of the Premium 600 ohm, but just the different impedance. Drivers are well burned in, but my ears aren't, so right now they sound a little tinny. Considering I've come from heavy-bass land, they sound pretty good for a first try with vocals and most instruments. Kicks on drums and bassier strings like cellos etc sound a bit distant, but like I said, I used to crank those 10-20hz bands like crazy.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with the purchase since they were well kept in a smoke-free environment (my last used pair were AKG K702s that lived 3ish years in a smoker's home, but still a great buy and cleaned up well)

That's one hell of a deal! Congratulations.

You'll like them more as time goes on, trust me. These are the kinds of headphones that the more you listen to them, the more you'll be impressed. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back