The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
May 3, 2015 at 6:41 AM Post #9,002 of 12,546
what's the advantage to the modi 2 uber having external power supply?

The linear power supply provided with the Uber should provide cleaner power than the power coming off the typical computer USB port. When most cmputer designers are designing USB ports they are not thinking of low noise power for audiophile DACs! :p
The Uber also has the advantage of versatility:
It has three types of digital input..

May 5, 2015 at 1:14 AM Post #9,004 of 12,546
Does anyone have a good picture or description of the foam circle that sits on top of the driver?  The small one under the big one.  Pad off, then plastic ring off, then big foam off, and there's the smaller one.  Is it pretty much the same material and thickness as the bigger one?  

May 7, 2015 at 5:53 PM Post #9,005 of 12,546
Hi, I have a quick question. I'm planning on buying either the DT880 250 ohm or 600ohm version. I can get them for the same price. But for a few months I'm going to use them without an amp whilst I save cash for an amp/dac. Ignoring the lower volume, which version sounds better directly out of an iMac, i.e. not connected to an amp?

Also, my friend has a dt990 600 ohm and volume is still more than enough for me directly out of an iMac so volume isn't an issue for me, I'm only asking about sound quality.

May 7, 2015 at 7:07 PM Post #9,006 of 12,546
Hi, I have a quick question. I'm planning on buying either the DT880 250 ohm or 600ohm version. I can get them for the same price. But for a few months I'm going to use them without an amp whilst I save cash for an amp/dac. Ignoring the lower volume, which version sounds better directly out of an iMac, i.e. not connected to an amp?

Also, my friend has a dt990 600 ohm and volume is still more than enough for me directly out of an iMac so volume isn't an issue for me, I'm only asking about sound quality.

the 250 ohm version, no question. It can still sound good when driven from a $100 low-powered fiio x1.

May 7, 2015 at 11:03 PM Post #9,007 of 12,546

I plugged in my 600ohmers into my macbook (apple lossless tunes) for the first time.  It sounds better than I thought but not nearly as effortless and involving as my "electric ave".  Harder and sterile sounding - my ears are feeling uncomfortable only after a few minutes where I can listen in delight with my amp and CD player for hours.  Also, for the first time, I understand that claim of siblance and excessive treble on DT880's.
I agree, no issue on output level from macbook.
Personally I'm not giving a macbook another minute.  Look out for that comparably great amp to go with these fantastic headphones.

May 7, 2015 at 11:24 PM Post #9,008 of 12,546

My philosophy is always get the best you can afford.  If your already planning on getting an amp, get the 600 ohm.  You can deal with the sound from the macbook for a while.  I make this suggestion because I believe the 600 ohm is superior to the other versions.  Others do not agree with me.  You can find heated discussions on this.  I can only tell you what I would do.

May 8, 2015 at 3:20 AM Post #9,009 of 12,546
Thanks for the help.

A friend of mine has the dt990 250ohm and 600ohm. Would I be able to listen to his two headphones to get an idea of the expected difference between the 250 and 600ohm dt880?

Also, I would like to have a hassle-free amp/dac setup that just works all the time and doesn't need warming up/replacing of tubes/getting too hot/being too fragile. But at the same time I also want an amp that makes the sound a bit warmer and possibly adds to the soundstage. My budget is also maximum $300 for the amp and I'll get a dac some time in the future. I can get a 250 or 600o dt880for the same reduced price. Would you recommend I get the 250ohm dt880 and a cheaper solid state amp that can drive it which doesn't need as much carr and attention as a solid state amp or would it be better to get the 600ohm and get a decent tube amp like the Bottlehead crack and learn to live with the hassle of a tube amp?

Also, could I run the 250 or 600 ohm directly from only a tubemagic D1+ or D2 or even a JDS objective 2 amp?

May 8, 2015 at 8:14 AM Post #9,010 of 12,546
Sorry, I also forgot to ask, what is the cheapest amp I can get for the 600ohm dt880 to bring out its superior sound relative to the 250ohm version?

I would prefer to rather get an amp now instead of using listening to an inferior sound directly from my iMac

May 8, 2015 at 8:25 AM Post #9,011 of 12,546
Sorry, I also forgot to ask, what is the cheapest amp I can get for the 600ohm dt880 to bring out its superior sound relative to the 250ohm version?

I would prefer to rather get an amp now instead of using listening to an inferior sound directly from my iMac

I say get a Schiit Audio's Valhalla 2, its supposed to be very good for DT 880's, either 250 ohm or 600 ohm cans.

May 8, 2015 at 8:31 AM Post #9,012 of 12,546
I say get a Schiit Audio's Valhalla 2, its supposed to be very good for DT 880's, either 250 ohm or 600 ohm cans.

Wow, that's quite expensive. What about the $119 Vali? Will I be able to drive those two headphones? I don't want to spend a lot on an amp. Maximum $250. Do you think I should rather get the 250ohm headphones and a cheaper complimentary amp?

May 8, 2015 at 8:35 AM Post #9,013 of 12,546
Little Dot MKIII with the Yugo EI tubes, plug and play audio nirvana with my DT880 600ohm's. 

May 8, 2015 at 8:37 AM Post #9,014 of 12,546
RothkoRed,

You'll find differing opinions. I'll offer mine. I have a pair of DT 880 250 ohm and I use Modi (v1.0) and Magni (v1.0). I'm sure the Valhalla will make it sound better, but honestly, the 880 with this set up sounds fantastic as is. I have tried it with just the magni and it was fine too. It's all up to you.

I have no experience with the Vali, but people on this site have mentioned they are calibrated to have a similar sound. 

May 8, 2015 at 9:28 AM Post #9,015 of 12,546
Wow, that's quite expensive. What about the $119 Vali? Will I be able to drive those two headphones? I don't want to spend a lot on an amp. Maximum $250. Do you think I should rather get the 250ohm headphones and a cheaper complimentary amp?

I have not heard the Vali but have read lots of good reviews. I say get the DT 880 250 ohm cans, with the Vali amp and you will be happy. I did not intend to suggest a amp past your budget.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back