The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Apr 13, 2015 at 11:37 AM Post #8,956 of 12,546
Another new DT880 club member here.

Got the DT880 pro 250 ohm on Saturday. However my reasons aren't for hifi listening, but for mixing. I was using the AKG Q701s for mixing but my problem was that I was always overcompensating when dealing with bass and lower midrange. The DT880, I'm pleased to say has a fuller sound in the bass and midrange areas despite having a hotter treble. The hotter treble has already helped me a lot as I've found, and dealt with, some nasty upper harmonics from a synth which even the Q701 didn't flag up as being particularly bothersome.

It's nice to have a headphone where the raw truth is considered more important than sounding pleasant.

Apr 13, 2015 at 2:17 PM Post #8,957 of 12,546
Yeah the bag that comes with the earphones is useful only to protect them from dust but it is pretty useless if you want to carry your earphones outside.
I suppose you're talking about amazon.com, do you suggest any particular brand?

The crown trade one comes in at £30 and there's a copy of that at £20 that gets good reviews it's a semi hard shell with a Velcro strap and pocket for extra, only complaint is it's too big!! I've ordered one and its to be here with me tommorow or day after, I'll let you know

Apr 13, 2015 at 5:21 PM Post #8,958 of 12,546
The crown trade one comes in at £30 and there's a copy of that at £20 that gets good reviews it's a semi hard shell with a Velcro strap and pocket for extra, only complaint is it's too big!! I've ordered one and its to be here with me tommorow or day after, I'll let you know

ah thank you matey.
ill check it out now and later ill wait for your feedback

Apr 13, 2015 at 8:01 PM Post #8,959 of 12,546
I've got a problem with my DT880s. Been traveling about 20 days, no music except the elevator pop that is everywhere. Put a new (old) rectifier in the Woo and fired it up; the DT880 plugged in must be the last cans I listened to before the trip.

The problem is I can't take them off my head. Album after album, it's the same--air and space, timbre and texture, smooooth yet with detail. Two days home and I can't get them off. Guess the other cans here will just have to wait. :rolleyes:

Apr 13, 2015 at 9:29 PM Post #8,960 of 12,546
It's nice to have a headphone where the raw truth is considered more important than sounding pleasant.

The DT880 doesn't sound pleasant? I find this particular raw truth to sound extremely pleasant.

I've got a problem with my DT880s. Been traveling about 20 days, no music except the elevator pop that is everywhere. Put a new (old) rectifier in the Woo and fired it up; the DT880 plugged in must be the last cans I listened to before the trip.

The problem is I can't take them off my head. Album after album, it's the same--air and space, timbre and texture, smooooth yet with detail. Two days home and I can't get them off. Guess the other cans here will just have to wait.
rolleyes.gif

Yep, that's some huge problem you've got there.
biggrin.gif

Apr 14, 2015 at 2:56 AM Post #8,961 of 12,546
The DT880 doesn't sound pleasant? I find this particular raw truth to sound extremely pleasant.

To be honest with you, if I was going to kick back and listen to the music I produce for pleasure these would not be my first choice - they're way too revealing

For me they're are simply a tool to enable me to catch nasty things going on and to make sure everything has it's place in the frequency range - as an example I don't want the bass line interfering with the kick drum and I need to be able to make good judgement of how much "fat" to trim from the kick so this doesn't happen. These cans are very good at giving me the info I need to be able to make that judgement.

Secondly the stuff I produce is not aimed at the hifi listening market, it's aimed at for club systems, and the beats and the use whatever came with the device crowd, so the mixes need to be able to cut through on on bass heavy equipment and HPs, and still need to sound punchy but not too shrill on cheapy earbuds. These phones give me the ability to check I've the right amount of dynamic compression dialled in and allow me to get the maximum perceived loudness but still leave a sense of space (I know, that's not going to popular thing to say here)

I use nearfield monitors for most of my work. They aren't the best available, but do give me a club type sound. As a result they're not that good at enabling me to see deeply into the mix. This is where these headphones come into play, enabling me to fine tune everything.

The only time I listen to music for pleasure these days is when I'm on the move, and I'd choose either my HD25s or my DT1350s for that.

Apr 14, 2015 at 5:03 AM Post #8,962 of 12,546

The problem is I can't take them off my head. Album after album, it's the same--air and space, timbre and texture, smooooth yet with detail. Two days home and I can't get them off. Guess the other cans here will just have to wait.
rolleyes.gif

i whish to have the same silver-tubed problem as you dude....

Apr 14, 2015 at 1:50 PM Post #8,963 of 12,546
Apr 14, 2015 at 6:17 PM Post #8,964 of 12,546
EDIT: I answered my own question.

But, my DT880s came in today! Maybe I'll come back with some first impressions later tonight.

EDIT 2: I feel a little speechless about these so far. I honestly can't think of much to say about them yet. I think I need more time with them.

I will say that I really enjoyed listening to everything I played through them.

Apr 15, 2015 at 6:32 PM Post #8,965 of 12,546
Hi guys

I'm interested about DT 880 but I must to choose the proper version (250 or 600). Anyone use the 600 Ohm model with an Marantz integrated stereo amplifer or receiver? I've the Sr5009 avr model and now I'm using a Sennheiser HD555 that I've since a long time. it's a 120 Ohm. Looking at the schematic diagram for a older Marantz model (sr5003)  there is not a dedicated amplifier for the headphone, but there are two 330 Ohm/1W resistors in series with the powered front channels. Can you help me to buy the best model?

Thanks a lot

Apr 15, 2015 at 8:21 PM Post #8,968 of 12,546
  Hi guys

I'm interested about DT 880 but I must to choose the proper version (250 or 600). Anyone use the 600 Ohm model with an Marantz integrated stereo amplifer or receiver? I've the Sr5009 avr model and now I'm using a Sennheiser HD555 that I've since a long time. it's a 120 Ohm. Looking at the schematic diagram for a older Marantz model (sr5003)  there is not a dedicated amplifier for the headphone, but there are two 330 Ohm/1W resistors in series with the powered front channels. Can you help me to buy the best model?

Thanks a lot

The Marantz receiver will drive either version just fine, but I'd suggest as a matter of practicality that you get the 250 ohm version. Sounds just fine and is more versatile.

I will say I wish the premium version clamped on your head a little harder. That's my only qualm.

Bend the headband in slightly--problem fixed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back