The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Mar 18, 2015 at 7:55 AM Post #8,791 of 12,546
That all said, there's something about a nice simple box with the larger components sticking out on top that speaks to my aesthetic taste. I would personally put some kind of metal shield on mine, though, to protect the circuit from interference and, more importantly, to protect the components from possible damage or the occasional errant touch.

You mentioned protection.  I never got around to the final touch but it's just me that is around it.  The transformers need to be covered - I have B+ at the exposed posts.  It's low voltage, 125V, but it still hurts as we all know.

Mar 18, 2015 at 9:04 AM Post #8,792 of 12,546
I really like your amp, very neo Spartan, functional and artsy. I am glad, it drives you DT 880 600 ohm headphones so well. I likewise have a pair of DT 880 600 ohm cans and I want to hear it on a amp, that maximizes its potential.

Mar 18, 2015 at 9:39 AM Post #8,793 of 12,546
I already have a pair of DT770 Pro's, I like these headphones but I think I would prefer a more open design. So I'm interested in the 880's and 990's, but I need to know more about what kind of cable they have.

I guess they use the same cable as the 770's, in which case I won't bother buying them. The cable on my 770 gets easily tangled and is very annoying to me!

Thanks.

Mar 18, 2015 at 10:04 AM Post #8,794 of 12,546
It's funny, my iPhone 5 can drive my 600ohm Beyers really clean, with a lot of volume to spare.

You'll get enough  volume because the DT880's aren't actually that hard to drive in terms of current.

But try (after volume matching) comparing (quick switching A/B) with them on iPhone 5 vs a decent amp like the NFB-12 or LD MKIV, and pay particular attention to the bass response. What the 600ohm need is a good voltage swing - and unfortunately the iPhone 5 is a little limited in this area.  It's only after volume matching and paying particular attention to the bass that you notice it.

Just my 2c.

Mm. I use a FiiO E17 on 12 gain, that really shows their potential and I know they could do so much better.

Mar 18, 2015 at 3:04 PM Post #8,795 of 12,546
  I already have a pair of DT770 Pro's, I like these headphones but I think I would prefer a more open design. So I'm interested in the 880's and 990's, but I need to know more about what kind of cable they have.

I guess they use the same cable as the 770's, in which case I won't bother buying them. The cable on my 770 gets easily tangled and is very annoying to me!

Thanks.

Pro versions = coiled cable
Premium versions = straight cable

Mar 18, 2015 at 3:13 PM Post #8,796 of 12,546

Thanks.

get the premium version, it has straight cables. Looks nicer. Clamp force out of the box is significantly more comfortable. Sounds the same with the Pro, but $100 more expensive. lol.

Does anybody knows other reasons why dt880 premium sells for $100 more than pro?
i own the dt880 premium and tried the Pro as well, and my assessment is roughly the same with information turned up by google, which leaves me still a bit baffled as to what contributes to the $100 difference other than what i've been typed up...

Mar 18, 2015 at 3:19 PM Post #8,797 of 12,546

get the premium version, it has straight cables. Looks nicer. Clamp force out of the box is significantly more comfortable. Sounds the same with the Pro, but $100 more expensive. lol.

Does anybody knows other reasons why dt880 premium sells for $100 more than pro?
i own the dt880 premium and tried the Pro as well, and my assessment is roughly the same with information turned up by google, which leaves me still a bit baffled as to what contributes to the $100 difference other than what i've been typed up...

Everything that I've come across agrees with your assessment of the differences between the two versions.

Mar 18, 2015 at 4:24 PM Post #8,798 of 12,546

1-2 o'clock! Yikes I never get past maybe noon. Mine is stock gain with 2.5 & 6 I believe. O2 amps have a gain switch, front panel looks like an arrow pointing right. Be careful hitting it.
I am coming out of a cd player and an external DAC, usually I'm listening around 10:30-11:00 (2.5X) on the Beyers.
BTW grew up listening to Dream Theater.

I don't know how you guys can stand listening to the DT880 with an O2. It sounds like sand.
wink.gif

Why have I never used that button before??? I figured it was for the external speaker port...

BUT... 

Shaffer is absolutely right. If you use the gain switch, it amps the volume, but kills the quality. Just listening for a couple of minutes (to Shadow Gallery, featuring LaBrie on Another day Dies) was too much. It's all crackle. Turn that off, crank the volume up to 3 and it comes out clean - What Will You Say by Shadow Gallery just nails it. 

Just bought myself a Meridian CD player and intend on taking my 880s home over Easter to run through that and my Denon amp. Watch this space...

Mar 18, 2015 at 6:06 PM Post #8,799 of 12,546

A couple of small points. I can't see how the Premium looks nicer. To me they're equally attractive. I prefer the coiled cord; no more getting the phones ripped off my head. Clamp force is easily adjustable by slightly bending the headband. Voila! $100 saved.

Mar 18, 2015 at 7:47 PM Post #8,800 of 12,546
Coiled cords drive me nuts, depending on the tension. Unless they're completely relaxed, they pull on the phone, and I can feel it, and it may weaken your seal. But to each his own. I don't think I'd spend $100 just to avoid the coil though. I honestly think a lot of the price difference is prestige factor. "Audiophile" components cost way more than "pro" components of similar audio quality, that's the biggest factor in the price difference. Pretty smart on Beyer's part actually

Mar 18, 2015 at 8:04 PM Post #8,801 of 12,546
Coiled cords drive me nuts, depending on the tension. Unless they're completely relaxed, they pull on the phone, and I can feel it, and it may weaken your seal. But to each his own. I don't think I'd spend $100 just to avoid the coil though. I honestly think a lot of the price difference is prestige factor. "Audiophile" components cost way more than "pro" components of similar audio quality, that's the biggest factor in the price difference. Pretty smart on Beyer's part actually

well, the leather feels better, and there's a metal plate  written dt880 on the Premium. i don't know what other components are different on them other than those two. It's harder to sell Premium on head-fi though, i've been trying to sell mine for close to 2 weeks and i haven't received any interest on it yet.

Mar 18, 2015 at 10:07 PM Post #8,803 of 12,546
  Hey guys, new DT880/600 owner here. Can anyone post some songs that sound significantly good with these cans? Need some way of justifying my purchase.

http://www.hdtracks.com/sessions-from-the-17th-ward-binaural-134372

http://www.hdtracks.com/alexis-cole-a-kiss-in-the-dark

Loreena McKennitt - Live In Paris and Toronto

Henry Jackman - Puss In Boots (Soundtrack)

Carmen Gomes Inc. - Thousand Shades Of Blue (Album)

Acoustic Alchemy - Against The Grain (Album)

Jacky Terrasson & Cassandra Wilson - Rendezvous (Album)

Halie Loren - They Oughta Write a Song (Album)

Johnny Cash - At Folsom Prison (Album)

Happy Listening!
dt880smile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back