The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Mar 9, 2015 at 9:18 AM Post #8,701 of 12,548
I've had both side-by-side in my system for an extended period. Is it a night and day difference? No. Is it a difference significant enough to choose the 600 Ohm? Definitely!

I've spent some time comparing the 32 Ohm to my 600 Ohm DT880.
The 32 Ohm MAY have had a touch more sibilance, but that would have been it.
I suspect I could have easily lived with either version (at the time I owned a SS amp that could have driven either version).

OTOH I typically used my 600 Ohm DT880 with an OTL tube amp, it does not work very well with 32 Ohm headphones and other low impedance headphones, the amp's output impedance is way too high.

Mar 9, 2015 at 9:21 AM Post #8,702 of 12,548
I've spent some time comparing the 32 Ohm to my 600 Ohm DT880.
The 32 Ohm MAY have had a touch more sibilance, but that would have been it.
I suspect I could have easily lived with either version (at the time I owned a SS amp that could have driven either version).

OTOH I typically used my 600 Ohm DT880 with an OTL tube amp, it does not work very well with 32 Ohm headphones and other low impedance headphones, the amp's output impedance is way too high.

At this point it all becomes a matter of expectations and a point of reference.

Mar 9, 2015 at 9:23 AM Post #8,703 of 12,548
At this point it all becomes a matter of expectations and a point of reference.

The best advice is probably:
Buy the impedance that suits your amplifer, or intended amplifier.

Mar 9, 2015 at 11:08 AM Post #8,705 of 12,548
 Are the DT770 that much different? i like my headphones to be as neutral as possible, and correct whatever i feel is lacking with a bit of EQ.

I believe the DT770 use the same basic driver as the DT880, but the damping (and obviously the housing!) is different. I tried a DT770 for a short while, but didn't like it. Compared with the DT880 it sounded bassier and much more 'v' shaped: the mid-range seem thinner and more distant.

Thee's a good thread (which you may have already seen) comparing the various beyers:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/513393/guide-sonic-differences-between-dt770-dt990-models-more 

The first few posts are a good read although, in my experience, the differences between the various versions of the same model (e.g. DT880 250 ohm vs 600 ohm) are overstated.
I think I've decided to go with the 880/250,i want neutral on top of everything. if I feel too much background noise, i could Mod them aswell.

Now for an amp to go with them? is the Magni a good choice? how about the fiio E10K? I've read that the sound is a little off. Consider that with the same amp I would power my IEMs, the shure 315. and i would like a "definitive amp" in the sense that i dont want to buy a new amp because mine can't drive higher impedance headphones.

Mar 9, 2015 at 11:25 AM Post #8,706 of 12,548
I think I've decided to go with the 880/250,i want neutral on top of everything. if I feel too much background noise, i could Mod them aswell.

Now for an amp to go with them? is the Magni a good choice? how about the fiio E10K? I've read that the sound is a little off. Consider that with the same amp I would power my IEMs, the shure 315. and i would like a "definitive amp" in the sense that i dont want to buy a new amp because mine can't drive higher impedance headphones.

I've got the DT880pro 250 ohm and have run them off both the Schiit Magni2 and the Vali.  They sound great powered by both amps.  I prefer the sound of the Vali, but if you plan on running IEM's or lower impedance headphones go with the Magni.  The noise floor on the Vali is quite noticeable with IEM's and lower impedance phones.  Plus the Magni has the gain switch so you can go to low gain for IEM's.

Mar 9, 2015 at 11:51 AM Post #8,707 of 12,548
The best advice is probably:
Buy the impedance that suits your amplifer, or intended amplifier.

This right here, I had both the 250 ohm and 32 ohm side by side. Not worth the trouble digging into, IMO. I went with what fits my situation, amp I'm planning to use with it, and my needs for it the most. In the end, it's still a DT880 and still sounds like a DT880

Mar 9, 2015 at 2:32 PM Post #8,711 of 12,548
I think it boils down to how you planning use it, with an amp go for the 600 ohms. Why not, it's suppose to only sound better and not worse. I think overall, most people think it sounds either good or the best of the three. The 250 ohms is for flexibility can benefit from an amp and can still be enjoyed without an amp. The 32 ohms are for those who still want to enjoy the sound of the DT880 without having to worry about carrying/pluging into an amp.

Mar 9, 2015 at 5:00 PM Post #8,712 of 12,548
  So: does a Schiit Magni suit better the 32 or 250 version, or doesn't it matter (due to the very low magni's output impedance)?

The Magni 2 shouldn't have any trouble driving any of those DT880s, it outputs 260 mW into a 300 Ohm load.
Even the 600 Ohm version should be OK.

Mar 9, 2015 at 8:00 PM Post #8,714 of 12,548
Yeah, sorry for throwing you a curveball. I originally only asked about DT880, but what about Meier Classic or Lake People G109? If I buy an amp from Schiit, it would probably be Valhalla 2 for high impedance headphones anyways, but I am most interested in SS atm. I am pretty convinced th G109 will suffice for all of my headphones and might do well for the DT880, which I do plan to try in the future.

I haven't heard those 2 to be honest. Maybe I'll have a chance to do so at the upcoming CanJam.

But... I guess I've gotten a lot more picky now after having moved on to other gears, and having heard more gears in general.

Mar 10, 2015 at 12:14 AM Post #8,715 of 12,548

As I said, 'the general opinion'. No statement on Head-Fi will ever go unchallenged.

I was secretly hoping you were going to say that the 600 ohm blew the 250 out of the water. What a bitter disappointment.

Why would I say that? I'm a grownup who's been involved with audio for ~40 years.

I'm a grownup who's been involved with audio for 55 years, but I still like a bit of rough talk on the forum. 
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back