The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Dec 6, 2014 at 8:38 PM Post #8,281 of 12,546

Funny how many times that particular myth keeps getting repeated though - eh 
smile.gif
.  Those of us who've actually heard both know that any perceived differences are actually minuscule ..... 

It's amazing how these things get up steam, isn't it? I used to believe it, because it's all I ever read anywhere, and I sometimes felt a twinge of regret that I hadn't tried to get the 600 ohm version. Then Tyll published this article on InnerFidelity and I rested easy.

Funny thing is, the often copy-pasted measurements you'll see around HF suggest that there's something to this mess, with a slight reduction of energy around 4-5 kHz in the 600 ohm version. But then, when I thought about it for a moment, I realized that the two most commonly-cited sources for measurements are IF and HeadRoom, and I'm quite sure they're both using the exact same raw data, from the same DT880 samples. So it's really just two different DT880s measuring slightly differently from one another, with the slightly less trebly one just happening to be the 600 ohm version.

Dec 6, 2014 at 8:43 PM Post #8,282 of 12,546
Great post ^^

Yep - it's not until you get both side-by-side, and volume match properly (spl meter) that you suddenly realise that any slight differences are more likely to be pad condition, or position on the head.

Doesn't stop the myth coming up again at regular intervals though :) 

Dec 6, 2014 at 9:05 PM Post #8,283 of 12,546
I just figured I'd play it safe and get the 600ohm knowing first of all I'd personal never listen to a pair of headphones without an amp and there must be a reason for Beyerdynamic making the different variants. For people like me who aren't going to listen from an ipod or a integrated chip on a motherboard it was a no brainer. If using a smaller diameter wire in the voice coil does allow more precise control over the driver and the price you pay is needing a decent amp I'm all in. No regrets here...

Dec 6, 2014 at 9:15 PM Post #8,284 of 12,546
  I just figured I'd play it safe and get the 600ohm knowing first of all I'd personal never listen to a pair of headphones without an amp and there must be a reason for Beyerdynamic making the different variants. For people like me who aren't going to listen from an ipod or a integrated chip on a motherboard it was a no brainer. If using a smaller diameter wire in the voice coil does allow more precise control over the driver and the price you pay is needing a decent amp I'm all in. No regrets here...

And you guarantee yourself the best damping factor whatever you plug your headphones into.

Dec 6, 2014 at 10:17 PM Post #8,285 of 12,546

It's amazing how these things get up steam, isn't it? I used to believe it, because it's all I ever read anywhere, and I sometimes felt a twinge of regret that I hadn't tried to get the 600 ohm version. Then Tyll published this article on InnerFidelity and I rested easy.

Funny thing is, the often copy-pasted measurements you'll see around HF suggest that there's something to this mess, with a slight reduction of energy around 4-5 kHz in the 600 ohm version. But then, when I thought about it for a moment, I realized that the two most commonly-cited sources for measurements are IF and HeadRoom, and I'm quite sure they're both using the exact same raw data, from the same DT880 samples. So it's really just two different DT880s measuring slightly differently from one another, with the slightly less trebly one just happening to be the 600 ohm version.

Tyll basically says the 600 ohm is slightly more refined than the 250 ohm in the treble. But when I listened to both, the difference is small and it doesn't really matter, things such as clamp, pads, position all will make bigger changes. Haven't heard the 32 ohm so not going to comment on it. I personally think the 250 ohm is honestly the better choice overall due to more versatility of devices it can be used on. I may end up getting the DT 880 soon, all I know is that my next phone is pretty much for sure to be another Beyer, I have like 6 different pairs or Beyers I'm eyeing. If the two different ohm are the same price, I'm getting the 250 ohm, but if the 600 ohm is cheaper, I'm getting it. Beyers don't fatigue my ears like many other dynamic phones do. The DT 990 I had only fatigued me slightly despite it's brightness and on some systems didn't fatigue me at all.

Dec 7, 2014 at 12:19 AM Post #8,286 of 12,546
New owner of DT880 600ohm here.  I purchased these at a great price $239 (Thank you Massdrop) and received them 2 days ago.  I hooked up to one of my systems and planned to let them "burn in" for 24 hours.  Curiosity got the best of me and I had to have a listen.  5 hours later and I was still listening.  To say I am impressed would be an understatement.  Now with about 20 hours+ on them I do not think there has been much actual change in the headphones themselves but I suspect my brain has adapted anyway as I have listened to them exclusively for this time.  I tried them with 3 different rigs, ODAC/O2, Burson 160DS, and Music Streamer II/Bottlehead Crack.  Although all these rigs can power them well I prefer the warmth that is added by the MSII/Crack.  I wish I had tried this last pair of HPs from the "old school trio" sooner as I have owned the HD650 and the K702 for some time.  There is no question that the DT880s will replace the K702s in my rotation.

Dec 7, 2014 at 7:30 AM Post #8,287 of 12,546
^Glad to see that you're enjoying them. These sure are keepers.

Speaking of mid-fi cans, I'm saving up to either get a Fidelio X2 or an AKG K7Xx (haven't decided yet, but leaning towards the X2). I've read in a review that the X2 is very similar to a dt880, except it (x2) has more bass and body, and less treble. This might be exactly what I'm looking for (it it can retain the 880's air and detail)..

Dec 7, 2014 at 8:39 AM Post #8,288 of 12,546

The nice thing about the 600 Ohm versions is they work well with OTL tube amps.

Dec 7, 2014 at 6:23 PM Post #8,289 of 12,546
The nice thing about the 600 Ohm versions is they work well with OTL tube amps.

Agree, I have a Little Dot MK III and the pairing with the DT880 works really well for me. BTW I also have a Beresford Bushmaster MKII and although I don't use it in the system that powers the DT880 I really love the sound of that unit! Great as an external DAC and not too shabby as a amp either IMHO.

Dec 7, 2014 at 6:32 PM Post #8,290 of 12,546
Agree, I have a Little Dot MK III and the pairing with the DT880 works really well for me. BTW I also have a Beresford Bushmaster MKII and although I don't use it in the system that powers the DT880 I really love the sound of that unit! Great as an external DAC and not too shabby as a amp either IMHO.

The Caiman Mk II ain't too bad either!

Dec 7, 2014 at 6:33 PM Post #8,291 of 12,546

Beyer has stated that the 600 Ohm version is the superior version......so there you go! :p

Dec 7, 2014 at 6:49 PM Post #8,292 of 12,546
  New owner of DT880 600ohm here.  I purchased these at a great price $239 (Thank you Massdrop) and received them 2 days ago.  I hooked up to one of my systems and planned to let them "burn in" for 24 hours.  Curiosity got the best of me and I had to have a listen.  5 hours later and I was still listening.  To say I am impressed would be an understatement.  Now with about 20 hours+ on them I do not think there has been much actual change in the headphones themselves but I suspect my brain has adapted anyway as I have listened to them exclusively for this time.  I tried them with 3 different rigs, ODAC/O2, Burson 160DS, and Music Streamer II/Bottlehead Crack.  Although all these rigs can power them well I prefer the warmth that is added by the MSII/Crack.  I wish I had tried this last pair of HPs from the "old school trio" sooner as I have owned the HD650 and the K702 for some time.  There is no question that the DT880s will replace the K702s in my rotation.

Loved my departed 880 600ohm on a Schiit Valhalla OTL amp. Simply gorgeous pairing I thought. Also really, really liked the 880 with my also departed SPL Auditor, that was tops.

Dec 7, 2014 at 6:57 PM Post #8,293 of 12,546
Well, InnerFidelity...

How to read those graphs...

32-Ohm = high amplitude overshoot that keeps ringing out -> very strident, somewhat brighter overall, and very poor decay trail, possibly noticeably more sibilant than the other versions.

250-Ohm = high amplitude initial overshoot that eventually dies down -> strident, but may not be bright depending on frequency response, and pretty good decay characteristics.

600-Ohm = lower amplitude initial overshoot than 250-Ohm, closer to ideal response, and pretty good decay characteristics (very minimal ringing after 2nd overshoot). Overall, this may translate to a slightly more laid-back, "refined", or "gentle" sound than the 250-Ohm. Though I suspect the difference will only be noticeable to those who are extremely sensitive to treble. But that lower amount of ringing may also translate to a "faster" overall sound, meaning... better separation, and depth.

Here's my current headphone (@Sonic Defender can probably guess which one this one is since I think he also moved in the same direction I did) in comparison:

Guess what? It looks pretty much like the 600-Ohm. In fact, lower amplitude initial overshoot, and practically no ringing after the 2nd overshoot peak. Basically translates to an even more laid-back, "gentle", and "refined" sound than the 600 Ohm. And predictably, due to the almost absence of extra ringing, it does have better separation than the 880. 
biggrin.gif

So, yeah, gotta love Tyll's measurements. So much information, and a lot of good insight if you'd just know how to "see" it.

Dec 7, 2014 at 7:12 PM Post #8,294 of 12,546
  Well, InnerFidelity...

How to read those graphs...

32-Ohm = high amplitude overshoot that keeps ringing out -> very strident, somewhat brighter overall, and very poor decay trail, possibly noticeably more sibilant than the other versions.

250-Ohm = high amplitude initial overshoot that eventually dies down -> strident, but may not be bright depending on frequency response, and pretty good decay characteristics.

600-Ohm = lower amplitude initial overshoot than 250-Ohm, closer to ideal response, and pretty good decay characteristics (very minimal ringing after 2nd overshoot). Overall, this may translate to a slightly more laid-back, "refined", or "gentle" sound than the 250-Ohm. Though I suspect the difference will only be noticeable to those who are extremely sensitive to treble. But that lower amount of ringing may also translate to a "faster" overall sound, meaning... better separation, and depth.

Here's my current headphone (@Sonic Defender can probably guess which one this one is since I think he also moved in the same direction I did) in comparison:

Guess what? It looks pretty much like the 600-Ohm. In fact, lower amplitude initial overshoot, and practically no ringing after the 2nd overshoot peak. Basically translates to an even more laid-back, "gentle", and "refined" sound than the 600 Ohm. And predictably, due to the almost absence of extra ringing, it does have better separation than the 880. 
biggrin.gif

So, yeah, gotta love Tyll's measurements. So much information, and a lot of good insight if you'd just know how to "see" it.

Yep, loved the 880, one of the best bangs for the buck, high quality sound signatures out there. However, like Bill-P, I'm extremely happy with the HE 560, but if I was on a tighter budget, the 880 is stellar value and just sounds damn good. Better amplification helps of course, but only within reason. If you don't like the 880 sound and you spend $2500 on an amp, you still will likely not like the 880, but perhaps you'll like it a little more! I was considering moving to the T1, but for the massive price difference, I just found the 880 kept me from pulling the trigger.

Dec 7, 2014 at 7:24 PM Post #8,295 of 12,546
  I was considering moving to the T1, but for the massive price difference, I just found the 880 kept me from pulling the trigger.

Ahhh - but the T1 is so much more affordable nowadays.  Used you quite often see it going for $650-750.  For the resolution and refinement the T1 provides, that's an absolute steal IMO.  Anyway - to further tempt you .......

http://www.head-fi.org/t/727739/comparison-review-beyerdynamic-s-siblings-the-classic-dt880-vs-the-flagship-t1

very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back