The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Dec 25, 2013 at 5:20 PM Post #5,987 of 12,546

Yup same here. Came with a carrying bag though...

Also, I've emailed Beyer and they said that new Pros and Premiums should come with a case so I don't think they change anything. Maybe just this specific batch?

Wrote to ProAudioStars and they wrote back saying - 

"It appears that Beyer has not updated their info. We have been buying these directly from them for several years now, and none of the Pro series headphones they send us include a bag. I am sorry for any confusion. 

- proaudiostar"

ProAudioStars' website says it ships with a case.. The Beyerdynamic website says a bag and I didn't get either.  
rolleyes.gif

Doesn't really matter to me, though.  I'll just make a nice hardwood box for them or something.

Dec 25, 2013 at 5:49 PM Post #5,988 of 12,546
So to my suprise I am able to get perfectly fine volume straight out of my laptop with my DT880 Pros. Being 250 ohms I thought I'd only be able to get them barely audible. I've been playing around with them ampless and with the e10. So far the only really noticable difference, to me, is the larger sound stage and possibly slightly better clarity when using an amp. I'm still deciding if the difference is worth the $76 I paid for the E10.

Dec 25, 2013 at 6:55 PM Post #5,989 of 12,546
Without ReplayGain, and cranked, I can just get up to usable volume on my laptop for some material (a lot of classical is still too quiet). It's a bit noisy, though, and it's never a good idea to run any amp right at the limit of its gain. I never heard any obvious clipping distortion, but there was a seeming lack of transparency. I'd say it was getting the frequency balance about right (the DT880 has a reasonably flat impedance curve, so impedance mismatches don't have too much of an effect on the tonal balance unless the mismatch is pretty bad), but the DAC/opamp on the motherboard was probably introducing deviation from the source signal (distortion) as well as the noise mentioned earlier.

Dec 25, 2013 at 7:04 PM Post #5,990 of 12,546
Wrote to ProAudioStars and they wrote back saying - 

"[COLOR=222222]It appears that Beyer has not updated their info. We have been buying these directly from them for several years now, and none of the Pro series headphones they send us include a bag. I am sorry for any confusion. [/COLOR][COLOR=222222]
[/COLOR]

[COLOR=222222]

It sounds like they sold you a used returned pair to be honest. My 880 pro 250 ohms came in a case. The fact that their site says it should come with one and the Beyer website does as well should raise some flags.

Dec 25, 2013 at 7:13 PM Post #5,991 of 12,546
It sounds like they sold you a used returned pair to be honest. My 880 pro 250 ohms came in a case. The fact that their site says it should come with one and the Beyer website does as well should raise some flags.

Yea that's what I considered also. However, since there is the diagonal cardboard that holds the headphones that aren't included in the box where the cans come in the case makes it seem like it's not a returned item. Unless....they have those specific pieces of cardboard just for returns missing the case....the cardboard also has Beyerdynamic written on it.

Also the box that mine came in had a clear "preview" window on the side of the box, which I haven't seen in any of the unboxing reviews. So new version or something?

Dec 25, 2013 at 7:26 PM Post #5,992 of 12,546

Yea that's what I considered also. However, since there is the diagonal cardboard that holds the headphones that aren't included in the box where the cans come in the case makes it seem like it's not a returned item. Unless....they have those specific pieces of cardboard just for returns missing the case....the cardboard also has Beyerdynamic written on it.

Also the box that mine came in had a clear "preview" window on the side of the box, which I haven't seen in any of the unboxing reviews. So new version or something?

Probably a promotional unit or special market. A lot of times online companies will buy overstock and liquidations.

Dec 25, 2013 at 10:32 PM Post #5,993 of 12,546
Hey all. Been doing some searching and seeing conflicting answers so I'll just ask here. I've seen that the DT 880 is a good HP to pair with a Schiit Vali/Modi stack. Is this indeed the case? If so, is the Vali capable of driving the 600 ohm version or is it safer to stick to the 250 ohm model?

Dec 25, 2013 at 10:44 PM Post #5,994 of 12,546
Hey all. Been doing some searching and seeing conflicting answers so I'll just ask here. I've seen that the DT 880 is a good HP to pair with a Schiit Vali/Modi stack. Is this indeed the case? If so, is the Vali capable of driving the 600 ohm version or is it safer to stick to the 250 ohm model?

The tube sound from the vali should be good with the DT880. 600 should be ok but since 250 is cheaper I see no reason to get the 600 unless you reaally want them.

Dec 25, 2013 at 11:12 PM Post #5,995 of 12,546
I believe with the Vali's power you'd be better with the 250ohm.

Dec 26, 2013 at 1:00 AM Post #5,996 of 12,546
I believe with the Vali's power you'd be better with the 250ohm.

I emailed Schiit audio about that a couple of weeks ago when I was curious and they told me during the making of the vali they  used DT990 premium 600ohms and told me it worked great  and supplied enough power for them. But they did make the amp so they could just be saying that.

Dec 26, 2013 at 1:58 AM Post #5,997 of 12,546
I emailed Schiit audio about that a couple of weeks ago when I was curious and they told me during the making of the vali they  used DT990 premium 600ohms and told me it worked great  and supplied enough power for them. But they did make the amp so they could just be saying that.

From what I recall it puts about 500mW into 32 ohms. If that's the case I think it should drive the 600 ohms fine. I use a E10 on low gain at about 4/9 for my 250 ohms and they only put like 150mW into 32 ohms.

Dec 26, 2013 at 8:14 AM Post #5,998 of 12,546

The tube sound from the vali should be good with the DT880. 600 should be ok but since 250 is cheaper I see no reason to get the 600 unless you reaally want them.

From what I recall it puts about 500mW into 32 ohms. If that's the case I think it should drive the 600 ohms fine. I use a E10 on low gain at about 4/9 for my 250 ohms and they only put like 150mW into 32 ohms.

Wow HEY I own a Vali and a 600 ohm beyer maybe I should chime in...

Yea the Vali has more than enough power to drive the 600 ohm beyer to a very loud level. Granted the 250 is cheaper, and would be a much better purchase imo 

the 600 ohm is only a good buy when you plan to pair it with very powerful Solid State or Tube Amps, very powerful the Vali is not, but how ever it is plenty powerful enough to drive the HD 800 and the DT 880 600 ohm!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back