The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Dec 16, 2013 at 10:32 PM Post #5,851 of 12,548
I got the HD558 for a friend and used it for a few hours. I was quite impressed. It was quite like my HD600, kind of mid-centric and a bit dark. Soundstage was again similar to the HD600, an airy sound but not super wide mostly because of the forward mids making it sound just a bit 'in your face'. If you've heard the HD600 I'd say that's kind of the signature and style that you can expect from the HD5x8 but with a bit less high end extension. Probably even more like the HD650 than the HD600 in that sense but I haven't heard the 650 so I can't say for sure.

Dec 16, 2013 at 10:51 PM Post #5,852 of 12,548
@ Argyris

If you're looking for something to compliment the DT880 - just get the HD600.  That way you've got 2 pieces of the trifecta (only one missing is the AKG K701/2/Q701).

I'm back to owning both the DT880 and HD600 (as well as my RS1's) - and couldn't be happier.

Dec 16, 2013 at 10:53 PM Post #5,853 of 12,548
  I got the HD558 for a friend and used it for a few hours. I was quite impressed. It was quite like my HD600, kind of mid-centric and a bit dark. Soundstage was again similar to the HD600, an airy sound but not super wide mostly because of the forward mids making it sound just a bit 'in your face'. If you've heard the HD600 I'd say that's kind of the signature and style that you can expect from the HD5x8 but with a bit less high end extension. Probably even more like the HD650 than the HD600 in that sense but I haven't heard the 650 so I can't say for sure.

That helps a lot and is more or less consistent with my expectations. As long as the midrange isn't so forward that it gets shouty, I can appreciate a sound like that as a bit of a different take on neutral. I have the DT880's bright and extended antics anytime I want them, after all, and my overall sonic preference still leans toward bright and airy. This is just kind of a side project for me, much like the original HD5x5 series was sort of an offbeat experiment for Sennheiser itself. They wanted to try something a little different, and so do I.

@ Argyris

If you're looking for something to compliment the DT880 - just get the HD600.  That way you've got 2 pieces of the trifecta (only one missing is the AKG K701/2/Q701).

I'm back to owning both the DT880 and HD600 (as well as my RS1's) - and couldn't be happier.

If I wanted to do that, I'd definitely have to save a few more pennies. This whole idea is more of an exploratory mission than a commitment, though I'm sure if I were to end up really enjoying the HD558, I'd probably start wondering how much of an improvement that HD600 would be.

Gah, this hobby sometimes.

Dec 16, 2013 at 10:54 PM Post #5,854 of 12,548
  @ Argyris

I've got the DT880, HD600, and K712 but ya know what, I just got the German Maestro GMP 400 today and I'm starting to think that "trifecta" maybe should be a foursome! :) These are pretty good.

Dec 16, 2013 at 11:00 PM Post #5,855 of 12,548

I've got the DT880, HD600, and K712 but ya know what, I just got the German Maestro GMP 400 today and I'm starting to think that "trifecta" maybe should be a foursome! :) These are pretty good.

Do tell us more.... 
smile.gif

I almost never hear about Maestro's products on here. No doubt a few of them have their respective appreciation threads, and I do remember seeing them pop up in a few threads.

Dec 16, 2013 at 11:05 PM Post #5,856 of 12,548

I may yet go back to the K612 as the '3rd'  What is the sound sig of the GMP 400 closest to devhen? 

If I wanted to do that, I'd definitely have to save a few more pennies. This whole idea is more of an exploratory mission than a commitment, though I'm sure if I were to end up really enjoying the HD558, I'd probably start wondering how much of an improvement that HD600 would be.

Gah, this hobby sometimes.

I hear you - and whilst I haven't heard the 558, I did spend time with the 598.  Not a bad headphone - very comfortable, and an expansive soundstage - but a little grainy in the top-end, and doesn't have the balance of the HD600.  I haven't heard any flagships - but out of the mid-fi cans I've heard / owned - the HD600 still takes the crown for being the most natural sounding headphone (which is why I repurchased it).  It's relatively neutral - slightly forward mids & elevated mid-bass - but very natural.  A violin really sounds like a violin.  it remains the only headphone in my small 'stable' that with the right recording, I can close my eyes, and I am there.

Dec 16, 2013 at 11:10 PM Post #5,857 of 12,548

Do tell us more.... 
smile.gif

I almost never hear about Maestro's products on here. No doubt a few of them have their respective appreciation threads, and I do remember seeing them pop up in a few threads.

The 8.35 D is the most popular model. Its a closed headphone built with the same indestructible frame as their 8.40 D "kiosk" headphone which you may remember from the glory days of mall CD stores. Around here all of the music shops in the malls had these German Maestro headphones (I think they were called MB Quart back then) with the pay phone style metal "theft-proof" cables:

I used to love listening on those kiosk headphones in the mall and it was only lately that I looked back and realized that the main reason I loved it so much was because the headphones sounded so good! That was probably my first experience listening to my favorite tunes on good sounding headphones.

Anyway the 8.35 D obviously doesn't have the metal cable but has the same build which is pretty much indestructible:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcSP8yR10Lw

8.35 D thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/406658/the-german-maestro-gmp-8-35-d-monitor-in-the-studio-serious-about-audio-indeed

From what I've read and the FR graphs I've seen, the 8.35D are a bit bassy. The GMP 400 that I have is an open headphone meant to be neutral, for recording and monitoring, and is their flagship basically. And it is quite neutral. It seems pretty warm, slightly warmer than the HD600. Its probably quite similar to the HD650. To my ears its slightly bassier than either the HD600 or DT880. The bass is extended better than I thought it would be, its only the very most extremely low notes where you notice a slight roll-off. Coming mainly from the DT880 the GMP400 seems to have slightly more bass than I'd like but that could change as I get more used to them. I definitely need more time to suss these out but I'm already wondering why German Maestro doesn't get more love. One reason might be that they aren't nearly as widely available here in the states as the other German brands. You can only get them through Amazon, Worldwide Stereo (www.wwstereo.com) and one other third party seller that is on Amazon and eBay.

The GMP 400:

EDIT: I should add, these are ridiculously comfortable. Probably the first headphone I've tried that is right up there with the HD600 and DT880 in terms of comfort.

Dec 16, 2013 at 11:14 PM Post #5,858 of 12,548

I hear you - and whilst I haven't heard the 558, I did spend time with the 598.  Not a bad headphone - very comfortable, and an expansive soundstage - but a little grainy in the top-end, and doesn't have the balance of the HD600.  I haven't heard any flagships - but out of the mid-fi cans I've heard / owned - the HD600 still takes the crown for being the most natural sounding headphone (which is why I repurchased it).  It's relatively neutral - slightly forward mids & elevated mid-bass - but very natural.  A violin really sounds like a violin.  it remains the only headphone in my small 'stable' that with the right recording, I can close my eyes, and I am there.

FWIW, I agree, I perceived the 558 as more grainy than the HD600. But I thought they were pretty great for the price (I got that pair refurbished for ~ $115).

Dec 16, 2013 at 11:25 PM Post #5,860 of 12,548
  My GMP 8.300 D's have shipped direct from German Maestro... the wait begins!
biggrin.gif

Nice!!

Pray tell, what made you choose the 8.300 D? Was the 8.35 D a little too low-impedance for you?

You'll have to let us know how they are. I'd love to see more action in the German Maestro appreciation thread! I plan on posting as I get to know these GMP 400's.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/644378/german-maestro-appreciation-thread

Dec 17, 2013 at 12:52 AM Post #5,861 of 12,548

In term of detail/micro detail, sound stage/3D imaging, sound stage, what is the different between DT880 vs HD600?

In term of bass between these two headphone, which one has a faster & tighter bass with deep and exteneded?

Dec 17, 2013 at 1:42 AM Post #5,862 of 12,548
I have a KR-6030 from around that era. There's some impedance mismatch between its headphone output (probably > 100 ohm output impedance) and my 250 ohm DT880, so it hisses and loses a bit of bass control. Despite this, I still think it sounds perfectly pleasant, with slightly rolled off treble and a tiny bit of extra bloom in the midbass. I wouldn't quite call it synergy, since it's likely a result of an electrical mismatch rather than any intrinsic coloration to the amp itself, but it's still not a bad-sounding combination.

Beyerdynamic A1 also has an output impedance of 100ohms, and it is claimed to be perfect for dt880 250ohm, so I think what you get from kr6030 is more or less synergy.

Dec 17, 2013 at 4:58 AM Post #5,863 of 12,548
I am trying to EQ the treble so that it isn't as harsh. I didn't know where to start so I just used headroom's FR graph as a reference. In Electri-q, I did a -3dB at 6.3kHz and 8.7kHz as well as a -6dB at 11kHz. Is this correct?

Dec 17, 2013 at 9:17 AM Post #5,864 of 12,548
  I am trying to EQ the treble so that it isn't as harsh. I didn't know where to start so I just used headroom's FR graph as a reference. In Electri-q, I did a -3dB at 6.3kHz and 8.7kHz as well as a -6dB at 11kHz. Is this correct?

This was what worked for me till I got rid of that nasty crashing PoS...
The bass was only added as a trial and removed later...

Now I use this and have not had a problem since in foobar2K.

beerchug.gif

Dec 17, 2013 at 9:28 AM Post #5,865 of 12,548

Nice!!

Pray tell, what made you choose the 8.300 D? Was the 8.35 D a little too low-impedance for you?

You'll have to let us know how they are. I'd love to see more action in the German Maestro appreciation thread! I plan on posting as I get to know these GMP 400's.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/644378/german-maestro-appreciation-thread

I listen 90% of the time through the OTL Little Dot amp, which doen't seem to like my low impedance headphones. (Minor Hum) I believe it is heater wire routing causing the hum and it is such a pig to get apart. Since i have a few portable headphones the 8.300's will stay at the desk for the times the TV is too loud or "She who must be obeyed" is too loud... 
biggrin.gif

I have the recommended velour pads coming with them as well from the 8.35 thread.
I think these are going to be great choice over the DT770's or DT250's I had thought about earlier. I had a good long look at the 450's but they were just a little too steep after shipping, duty and all.

Sub'd the thread.
I cant wait!

beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back