The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Oct 26, 2020 at 4:13 AM Post #11,821 of 12,548
Yes, that's the guy. Great workmanship.

I do have to say that I didn't experience any "noise" issues using my A90/D90 from the RCA connection. It is dead silent. I was all prepared to buy the cables that you recommended but don't need to. This combination is pure magic with my D7000.
Nice, I wish my environment was more noise free so I wouldn't have needed to deal with it, but it's something that will vary from one environment to another - which of course can change if you move - from one room to another or plug in to another power feed, or add noisy equipment, or move it all to another location.

So it's good to keep in mind what will work to solve noise issues should they appear some day. :)
I am hoping that Thomann (the retailer that I returned them to), just does a replacement. If they send them to Beyer that could be several weeks. I am hoping, with fingers crossed, that they send me out a new pair this week.

Honestly, with the tube amp and the Violectric amp I see no need for the balanced upgrade. My Liquid Platinum has oodles of power due to all the gain, but I don't feel that I need it at this point.
Ahh, yes a return to the seller often becomes a swap for a new unit - much easier with less delay.

There are a number of amps now that have Balanced outputs with higher power delivery than the included single-ended outputs, so in my case playing music on my amps would benefit from driving balanced fed headphones.

If your AMPs already put out "enough" power to drive 600 ohm headphones on their 3.5mm / 6.3mm ports, then you've got no particular reason to modify your headphone's cabling to balanced. :)

Beyerdynamic is either slowing down manufacturing or ending production on these DT 880 600 ohm models - DT 990 600 ohm too, because I had a difficult time finding them available as new production, and the specific special editions I was interested in were nowhere to be found as new - I had to buy "used".

Fortunately the DT 880/990 600 ohm units I bought used seem hardly used - their condition is like new - with the DT 990 600 ohm sounding like it has more hours on it than the DT 880 600 ohm - which seems like it has no play hours on it at all.

The new versions of Beyerdynamic T1 / T5 are 32 ohm only - at least right now - perhaps Beyerdynamic is phasing out building new 600 ohm coils for new headphones?

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2020 at 4:30 AM Post #11,822 of 12,548
Nice, I wish my environment was more noise free so I wouldn't have needed to deal with it, but it's something that will vary from personal environment to another - which of course can change if you move - from one room to another or to another power feed, or another location. So it's good to keep in mind what will work to solve it should it appear some day. :)

Ahh, yes a return to the seller often becomes a swap for a new unit - much easier with less delay.

IDK if Beyerdynamic is slowing down manufacturing, or ending production on these DT 880 600's (DT 990 600's too), because I had a difficult time finding them new and the specific special editions were nowhere - I had to buy "used". Fortunately the 600's I bought used seem hardly used - like new - with the DT 990 600 sounding like it has more hours on it than the DT 880 600 - which seems like it has no play hours on it at all.

Also, the new versions of Beyerdynamic T1 / T5 are 32 ohm only - at least right now - perhaps Beyerdynamic is phasing out building new 600 ohm coils for new headphones?

I’ve also noticed that 600 Ohm DT 880/990’s seem a bit harder to find than they used to but not sure what the cause is. I hope they don’t phase them out, having the different impedance variants has always set Beyer apart. Seems they did it with the Tesla’s. I have both the new and previous T1’s, I don’t find the new drivers a downgrade in terms of fidelity at least, very different tuning though and basically means if you want anything like the T1.2 sound wise you either have to get leftover stock, used, or get the Amiron Home (only headphone that sounds somewhat like the T1.2 in their lineup).

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2020 at 5:24 PM Post #11,830 of 12,548
Where can one acquire a good 100 ohm impedance adapter for these?
You build your own. :wink:
Attenuator.jpg

Info in this blog.
https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/headphone-attenuation-adapter/

Nov 21, 2020 at 10:12 AM Post #11,833 of 12,548
I remember reading on a review recently that the newer DT880s have different tuning to older ones (not sure where that cutoff between old vs new is - and I’m not talking about the old ‘03 version) - supposedly warmer sounding. I did notice Beyer changed the design on the outer earcups of the Premiums but didnt know if they changed anything else.

Anyone got input on this?

Nov 21, 2020 at 11:34 AM Post #11,834 of 12,548
The DT 880 Black Special Editions have a warmer less neutral sound that is to do with their black earpads. If you replace them with the silver earpads they become like the usual DT 880. Headphone manufacturers are always making silent revisions to their headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back