The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Jan 18, 2019 at 2:34 AM Post #11,326 of 12,546
Yeah I just watched the video. That binaural microphone the guy was using are known to be of exceptional quality, i've been meaning to get one myself to test headphones with. I must say I passionately disagree with what he had to say about the AKG K702 and AKG in general. He doesn't understand something that I already mentioned. AKG headphones are quite obviously designed to sound more like speakers than headphones. I've owned the K612, K702 (the Austrian version and the made in China version), K240 mk2, Q701 and the K712. Although they all have slightly different tuning, the one thing they all have in common is that they are designed to sound like speakers. I have years of experience with all kinds of speakers and can tell you that of all the headphone company's i'm familiar with, the AKG's are the only one's that have the same sound characteristics of speakers. This is something that that guy in the video doesn't understand.

Not that i knew that was akg's intention. If that is the case, perhaps he could be a bit less critical of them. Also, given his usual reviews and recordings are based on speakers, if the K702s are closer to them, then I'm not sure why he didn't like them. When I had the K702s, I do still think they were very good and it is just my opinion that the DT880s are better. But I can fully agree with what he criticizes the DT880s for. The main problem i had with the K702s was the build quality. They felt nothing close to the price they were when judging them from the build. 1 pair started creaking so loudly on one side when plastic was rubbing on something that i ended up getting a replacement. Then the replacement had a similar problem, though not quite as bad. But it ended up giving up on one channel. I looked under the grill and found there was a shockingly bad solder job on them and it had come loose. I somehow think the Austrian built K702 will have been built a lot better than these. It was the build and not the sound that made me give up with them. The DT880 feel well built, but seem to have had a few reliability problems too. The only pair of very good headphones i have had no problems with in many years are my Audio Technica ATH-AD700s. They were made in japan and I sometimes wonder if the country things are made in make the difference. But then I would expect better reliability from my DT880s given they are made in germany.

Jan 18, 2019 at 3:04 AM Post #11,327 of 12,546
Yeah I just watched the video. That binaural microphone the guy was using are known to be of exceptional quality, i've been meaning to get one myself to test headphones with. I must say I passionately disagree with what he had to say about the AKG K702 and AKG in general. He doesn't understand something that I already mentioned. AKG headphones are quite obviously designed to sound more like speakers than headphones. I've owned the K612, K702 (the Austrian version and the made in China version), K240 mk2, Q701 and the K712. Although they all have slightly different tuning, the one thing they all have in common is that they are designed to sound like speakers. I have years of experience with all kinds of speakers and can tell you that of all the headphone company's i'm familiar with, the AKG's are the only one's that have the same sound characteristics of speakers. This is something that that guy in the video doesn't understand.

The way I look at the 880 and 990 and 712 is simple. The AKG for me is like sitting in front speakers 2.0 system. The 880 feels like you are at microphone. Then the 990 is like listening after fixing the problems at speaker. If it is smooth on 990, then it is doing it's job. It's spikey on purpose to tell you to go back and fix something.
770-tracking
880-mastering
990- critical listening

k712 is kind of like the 990 IMO

This is as simple as I can put with my experience.

I don't feel these are like audiophile tuned headphones to feel like you are listening "live" with them right there. Hd580/600 is kinda like being there in close proximity of live band. But it's also a tad hazy reminding you have headphones on.
For acoustic + listening to vocals strictly I find the dt48/480 most "lifelike" but again just outside of microphone. I wouldn't say they are all rounders.

Also that guy who reviewed the classics seems like a nice fellow, but i didn't think what he said about listening to hd600 out of iphone is a good idea.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2019 at 3:15 AM Post #11,328 of 12,546
Not that i knew that was akg's intention. If that is the case, perhaps he could be a bit less critical of them. Also, given his usual reviews and recordings are based on speakers, if the K702s are closer to them, then I'm not sure why he didn't like them. When I had the K702s, I do still think they were very good and it is just my opinion that the DT880s are better. But I can fully agree with what he criticizes the DT880s for. The main problem i had with the K702s was the build quality. They felt nothing close to the price they were when judging them from the build. 1 pair started creaking so loudly on one side when plastic was rubbing on something that i ended up getting a replacement. Then the replacement had a similar problem, though not quite as bad. But it ended up giving up on one channel. I looked under the grill and found there was a shockingly bad solder job on them and it had come loose. I somehow think the Austrian built K702 will have been built a lot better than these. It was the build and not the sound that made me give up with them. The DT880 feel well built, but seem to have had a few reliability problems too. The only pair of very good headphones i have had no problems with in many years are my Audio Technica ATH-AD700s. They were made in japan and I sometimes wonder if the country things are made in make the difference. But then I would expect better reliability from my DT880s given they are made in germany.

Yes after comparing some Austrian, Slovakia, and China AKG it is very clear the China have some terrible QC issues like rattle, more rub and buzz on drivers, and poorer soldering jobs.. That is why I just get vintage ones now. The only non vintage being 712 AKG. Same with sony Japan vs Thailand/Vietnam/China versions.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2019 at 7:20 AM Post #11,329 of 12,546
I recently bought a Technics headphone that is made in Japan (the only headphone I've ever owned that is made in Japan) and I must say, it is the toughest/most solidly built headphone I've ever owned. I'm convinced I could run over it in a car and it would still be intact afterwards.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2019 at 10:30 AM Post #11,331 of 12,546
How the hell did the drivers survive all that abuse?! lol
I tend to prioritize build quality over sound quality these days so thanks for sharing that vid, that's another headphone I will consider buying.

Jan 18, 2019 at 10:49 AM Post #11,332 of 12,546
How the hell did the drivers survive all that abuse?! lol
I tend to prioritize build quality over sound quality these days so thanks for sharing that vid, that's another headphone I will consider buying.
giphy.gif

Jan 18, 2019 at 11:58 AM Post #11,333 of 12,546
I like Beyerdynamic headphones. I own a 1770 and 1990. I admire their build quality. I ordered a pair of 880's to use in relation to my studio. When I received them I examined them and was very disappointed in the build quality. The plastic parts were cheap looked, The finish of the plastic was mottled. I returned them without even listening to them.

Jan 19, 2019 at 10:33 AM Post #11,334 of 12,546
Jan 20, 2019 at 9:39 PM Post #11,336 of 12,546
Sweet stuff.

I would totally rock those outside.

How do they compare to others in your lineup?
Neutral leaning towards the brighter side, I find them a perfect closed compliment to the DT880's.

Jan 21, 2019 at 5:21 AM Post #11,337 of 12,546
Neutral leaning towards the brighter side, I find them a perfect closed compliment to the DT880's.

Classic German sound. I always thought maybe MB Quart/ German Maestro may have worked with Beyer on their drivers, but i'd have to look into it.

I like Beyerdynamic headphones. I own a 1770 and 1990. I admire their build quality. I ordered a pair of 880's to use in relation to my studio. When I received them I examined them and was very disappointed in the build quality. The plastic parts were cheap looked, The finish of the plastic was mottled. I returned them without even listening to them.

Haha you went backwards my friend. The dt880 clearly had the flaws of the hinge system, which made them loosey goosey. I just used red/blue electrical tape to set them to my head. Another flaw being the Plastic Housing they used to support the driver. Seems they have built these up on their higher end stuff with metal driver housings, and the updated headbands.

If you didn't return them

giphy.gif

j/k. In all seriousness, I would think the Amiron Home would have been the nice choice or T1.

Jan 24, 2019 at 6:09 PM Post #11,339 of 12,546
I was looking for a pair of headphones for my musical production at home. I did some research and decided that the beyerdynamic DT880s might be what I am looking for to fill that need. I received my DT880s yesterday. My initial impressions: I'm in love! Even without amplification out of my iMac, these cans are the real deal. What I notice most is the 880s are so much better with transients than any audio reproducer I have ever owned. These are perfect for beat making and ROMpler piano playing from what I have ascertained from my brief time with the headphones! They are built like a tank, but light on the head and ears. I'm quite impressed, so far. :heartbeat:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back