The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Jun 8, 2014 at 10:05 PM Post #7,591 of 12,546
I have been listening to the Beyers plugged into a Duet. This is sounding very good. My previous amp, an O2, sounded thin and a bit sibilant. This is not the case with the Duet. So maybe a change of amp is in order?

Bob

Thank you Bob. I'll go to a few local hi-fi shops and try them with whichever amps they have for demo, hopefully the problem is just my amp. Though theoretically it should be more than enough to power a 600 ohm load.

Jun 8, 2014 at 10:14 PM Post #7,592 of 12,546

Thank you Bob. I'll go to a few local hi-fi shops and try them with whichever amps they have for demo, hopefully the problem is just my amp. Though theoretically it should be more than enough to power a 600 ohm load.

Some times it's not just enough to have power, but you want a amp that synergizes nicely with your headphones 

Jun 9, 2014 at 11:28 AM Post #7,593 of 12,546
I have been listening to the Beyers plugged into a Duet. This is sounding very good. My previous amp, an O2, sounded thin and a bit sibilant. This is not the case with the Duet. So maybe a change of amp is in order?

Bob

Curious... Do you still have the O2? Can you listen to Kate Bush' "The Saxophone Song" and tell me if it sounds sibilant?

Jun 9, 2014 at 4:56 PM Post #7,602 of 12,546
Jun 9, 2014 at 7:56 PM Post #7,603 of 12,546
  I think that's just a ridiculously sibilant recording!

I played it through my DT880 and my Senn HD 600 and, in both cases, every 's' Kate sings in the opening verses is scratchy & sibilant.

Okay, I hear what you're talking about now, but it's not piercing.  Listen to Jacques Brel's "Dulcinea" for some real sibilance.
evil_smiley.gif

The point I'm trying to make is that it depends more on the recording than the amp.  I'd like to see an FR graph of the Duet if it actually reduces sibilance.

Jun 9, 2014 at 9:06 PM Post #7,605 of 12,546

I thought you were joking.  There actually is a Director's Cut. :)

:)

It gets better. The version of Red Shoes on DC is made from an analogue back up tape which she found somewhere. So you have the rare opportunity to see an album in both digital and analogue master (If you have the previous version of Red Shoes, that is).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back