The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
May 25, 2014 at 2:31 PM Post #7,456 of 12,546
  Haha, that's OK 
biggrin.gif

I actually don't have a small desk, mine is 1800mm(W) x 900mm(D) so it's quite spacious. But considering that is accomodating a 24" monitor and my large PC tower (which I will have to move underneath the desk to accomodate 8" speakers when I can afford some) a stereo receiver is going to not have much room about. Whenever I think of a stereo receiver I think of large ones as that's what I've always seen growing up, I dunno, maybe my perceptions are skewed. In any case, my little Audio GD Amp DAC is on 165mm wide, 45mm tall and about 260mm deep. I like that I can get sound so nice out of something of a relatively low footprint. 

All the parametric EQs I've ever tried to use have made me give up almost immediately for being not approachable for beginners or user friendly. But even then, tone controls and EQ can only do so much. They're not going to give the DT880 the bass I want. Bass is something I consider quite a bit having varied music tastes. If I was only listening to classical the bass would be totally fine. I long for a bass response that goes right down, is flat with the midrange, can punch hard when required and is as tight as a nun
tongue.gif
. I'm sure that planars have their own set of problems, no doubt. The LCD2 is the planar I've read most about over the years I've been aware of them, and their most documented flaws are that they're not the best for soundstage, were too dark, maybe a bit too thick and syrupy for many people and of course really ******* heavy. Not all of those things are about being a planar as much as being tuned a certain way, but just like with dynamics you just have to find the right one. The reports so far of the new Hifiman is that they're fast, clear and clean without being strident (according to Tyl over at Innerfidelity as well as reviews I've seen on the HE560). I'll be sure to audition them if I get the chance.

If you are looking at planars don't count at the Alpha Dog. 6Moons audio has a review that claims the Alpha Dogs one up the LCD-2s with their smoother treble approaching HE-6 territory

May 25, 2014 at 3:05 PM Post #7,457 of 12,546
  If you are looking at planars don't count at the Alpha Dog. 6Moons audio has a review that claims the Alpha Dogs one up the LCD-2s with their smoother treble approaching HE-6 territory

This is confusing to me.  LCD2 has rolled off treble, HE6 does not.  HE6 has air and brilliance, closer to an electrostatic HP.  The LCD does not have this quality.  The LCD is a good headphone, but I don't think it can really be compared to the HE6.  the HE6 would be THE orthodynamic if not for its ridiculous amping requirements.  

May 25, 2014 at 3:24 PM Post #7,458 of 12,546
  This is confusing to me.  LCD2 has rolled off treble, HE6 does not.  HE6 has air and brilliance, closer to an electrostatic HP.  The LCD does not have this quality.  The LCD is a good headphone, but I don't think it can really be compared to the HE6.  the HE6 would be THE orthodynamic if not for its ridiculous amping requirements.  

When I say smoother I really mean detailed and accurate. The LCD-2 is rolled off, the Alpha Dog is the right balance. I hope that didn't confuse you too much but what I should have said is the Alpha Dog has airy and detailed treble that never gets sibilant with good recordings. The Alpha Dogs bass is where they really shine. I never expected them to have such deep bass that has plenty of speed to match. 

Read the 6 Moons audio review and he mentions that the AD has easier amping requirements which means you have a better chance of hearing a brilliant combination than the HE-6 which is why he says the difference is so narrow the AD could be the better headphone on most setups.

May 25, 2014 at 3:30 PM Post #7,459 of 12,546
  Read the 6 Moons audio review and he mentions that the AD has easier amping requirements which means you have a better chance of hearing a brilliant combination than the HE-6 which is why he says the difference is so narrow the AD could be the better headphone on most setups.

Ah, ok, that makes sense.  I would expect a properly driven AD to sound better than an improperly driven he6.

May 25, 2014 at 8:27 PM Post #7,460 of 12,546
Has anyone tried the Apogee Duet with the DT880s? I am trying this combination out right now. I find it different from the DAC/amps I have had in the past.

Bob

May 25, 2014 at 10:17 PM Post #7,461 of 12,546
Nope, haven't tried the duet... I am running the GMP 8.300 D's through the MKTP1 tube hybrid at the moment with a FiiO X3 as the DAC. :D

May 26, 2014 at 12:39 AM Post #7,462 of 12,546

I'm ignoring the Alpha Dogs for two major reasons:

1. They're still too heavy at 440g, the well under 400g of the HE400i is super appealing to me.

2. At $600 I don't find the presentation of the Alpha Dogs to be acceptable. The cups and pads are gorgeous, but that headband really should have been replaced, it's really ugly and I'd be embarrassed to have paid that much for it.

I'm ignoring the entire Audeze line for being too heavy and too expensive for me right now, and I'm also ignoring the older Hifimans for being too heavy and not as aesthetically appealing to me as the new designs. 

May 26, 2014 at 2:38 AM Post #7,463 of 12,546
  I'm ignoring the Alpha Dogs for two major reasons:

1. They're still too heavy at 440g, the well under 400g of the HE400i is super appealing to me.

2. At $600 I don't find the presentation of the Alpha Dogs to be acceptable. The cups and pads are gorgeous, but that headband really should have been replaced, it's really ugly and I'd be embarrassed to have paid that much for it.

I'm ignoring the entire Audeze line for being too heavy and too expensive for me right now, and I'm also ignoring the older Hifimans for being too heavy and not as aesthetically appealing to me as the new designs. 

To each his own. If you get the chance to demo them you shouldn't rule them out they are my preferable sound signature and are similar to the DT880s in the sense that they are neutral but Alpha Dogs provide better separation and speed of instruments and image vocals better. Not to mention the bass. The sub bass of the Alpha Dogs wipes the floor with the DT880s.

Honestly the original Fostex headband doesn't bother me too much at all. I think its neat and reminds me that they are still modified T50RPs. The leather strap that is attached to it is more comfortable than I imagined.

No doubt though the DT880 is the lighter more comfortable set of cans. But the Alpha Dog has plush lambskin earpads and it almost massages my head when I play music. 

Still a well deserved $600 I've spent in my life. For one to understand the feeling you would have to hear them for yourself and make that judgement call. I know they deserve more attention in the Head-fi world and another member even said they sounded better than the LCD-XC in some ways.

May 26, 2014 at 11:15 AM Post #7,465 of 12,546
Hello.

I own a pair of DT880 and I'm currently using them together with SoundBlaster Z sound card (with a dedicated headphone amp built in). I was wondering if a dedicated AMP, like Fiio E09k for example would have a positive impact on sound quality, or would it make no difference? 
Thanks.

May 26, 2014 at 11:25 AM Post #7,466 of 12,546
  Hello.

I own a pair of DT880 and I'm currently using them together with SoundBlaster Z sound card (with a dedicated headphone amp built in). I was wondering if a dedicated AMP, like Fiio E09k for example would have a positive impact on sound quality, or would it make no difference? 
Thanks.

I suggest getting a tube amp..

Once you go tube, you can never go back... :wink:

May 26, 2014 at 11:40 AM Post #7,467 of 12,546
  Hello.

Thanks.

The E09K has the same amplifier chip as the SoundBlaster ZxR (Ti's TPA6120) which will probably give you more volume than what is available with the MAX97220A chip the SoundBlaster Z has, do you find that you don't have enough volume out of the Z?

I suggest getting a tube amp..

Once you go tube, you can never go back... :wink:

+1 Toooooobs!

May 26, 2014 at 12:36 PM Post #7,468 of 12,546
  The E09K has the same amplifier chip as the SoundBlaster ZxR (Ti's TPA6120) which will probably give you more volume than what is available with the MAX97220A chip the SoundBlaster Z has, do you find that you don't have enough volume out of the Z?

No, volume is fine, but I have a feeling that there's less bass than when I was listening to them in the store. That, and there's not much difference between using them with my phone and Z soundcard, except for much higher volume on Z. Besides, I heard that the AMP on Sound Blaster Z is generally not very good.
I don't know, maybe I'm just imagining stuff, but that's the first pair of high impedance headphones that I've ever had, so I'm still learning. :)

May 26, 2014 at 12:53 PM Post #7,469 of 12,546
No, volume is fine, but I have a feeling that there's less bass than when I was listening to them in the store. That, and there's not much difference between using them with my phone and Z soundcard, except for much higher volume on Z. Besides, I heard that the AMP on Sound Blaster Z is generally not very good.
I don't know, maybe I'm just imagining stuff, but that's the first pair of high impedance headphones that I've ever had, so I'm still learning. :)

Do you know if it was plugged into a neutral output in the store? The high impedance of the DT880 should prevent distortion, unless the Sound Card has an absurdly high output impedance (>50 ohms). As long as you have sufficient volume, I wouldn't worry about it. Bear in mind that perception of frequency response changes with volume, so even a decibel or less of volume difference can change what you hear.

May 26, 2014 at 1:18 PM Post #7,470 of 12,546
Do you know if it was plugged into a neutral output in the store? The high impedance of the DT880 should prevent distortion, unless the Sound Card has an absurdly high output impedance (>50 ohms). As long as you have sufficient volume, I wouldn't worry about it. Bear in mind that perception of frequency response changes with volume, so even a decibel or less of volume difference can change what you hear.

Unfortunately, I don't know what they were plugged into. As I said, the volume is ok. I just thought that a better amp would further increase sound quality. Not that it's bad now, those headphones are still better than my last ones. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back