The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
May 3, 2014 at 2:29 PM Post #7,247 of 12,546
Is it possible for there to be a volume imbalance between the two speakers of the headphones? I damaged the left speaker and that is where the volume is less than the right.

Bob

May 3, 2014 at 4:51 PM Post #7,248 of 12,546
  The Leckerton and the O2 look reasonably flat, sure they have a touch of roll-off at the top and the bottom end of the spectrum, but it's so low that it's practically insignificant.
It may have been nice if Mr. Scientist had compared 150 Ohms to no load and something in between as well, like 30 or 50 or 60 Ohms.

You can't really tell how much resistance, inductance and capacitance a headphone has unless you have some more data, like a set of impedance curves with amplitude and phase.  It doesn't really follow that a 600 Ohm load headphone is dominated by resistance.
Anyway, how do you define a "hard load"?  A lot of capacitance? A  lot of inductance? Too low a load impedance for the amp?

Here's a good article from Benchmark, the article talks about the benefits of an amp with very low output impedance: 
http://benchmarkmedia.com/blogs/white-papers/11653109-the-0-ohm-headphone-amplifier

Man, that iQube has some high frequency roll off going on!

Yeah, but that was a purely resistive load. And there is no swing.

Here's what happens when the O2 is subjected to other loads. Also the second part of his measurements:
http://scientistsaudio.blogspot.com/2012/06/leckerton-uha-6smkii-part-2.html

And you are right that it doesn't follow that any 600 Ohm headphone would be dominated by resistance, but doesn't that practically mean that every "frequency response graph" made with purely resistive loads is meaningless since a real headphone would have both inductance and capacitance playing into its impedance swing?

I would call those IEMs a "hard load" because of the impedance swing due to the crossover. Another hard load would be the other extreme where 

Even with very low output impedance, the O2 is doing a worse job than the Leckerton.

Also in the case of the DT880, which has an impedance swing up at the higher extremes, perhaps the iQube would be able to equalize that and make the resulting output frequency response more linear. Otherwise it should be rated worse than both the Leckerton and O2, but that's not the case.

So again, I'll say this: the frequency response graph of a headphone amplifier is not the only indicator of its performance.

May 4, 2014 at 8:02 AM Post #7,251 of 12,546
Yeah, but that was a purely resistive load. And there is no swing.

Here's what happens when the O2 is subjected to other loads. Also the second part of his measurements:
http://scientistsaudio.blogspot.com/2012/06/leckerton-uha-6smkii-part-2.html

And you are right that it doesn't follow that any 600 Ohm headphone would be dominated by resistance, but doesn't that practically mean that every "frequency response graph" made with purely resistive loads is meaningless since a real headphone would have both inductance and capacitance playing into its impedance swing?

I would call those IEMs a "hard load" because of the impedance swing due to the crossover. Another hard load would be the other extreme where 

Even with very low output impedance, the O2 is doing a worse job than the Leckerton.

Also in the case of the DT880, which has an impedance swing up at the higher extremes, perhaps the iQube would be able to equalize that and make the resulting output frequency response more linear. Otherwise it should be rated worse than both the Leckerton and O2, but that's not the case.

So again, I'll say this: the frequency response graph of a headphone amplifier is not the only indicator of its performance.

Where did I say frequency response is the only indicator of performance? :confused_face_2:
Signed,
Confused.

Wait, I have more! :eek:

I would like to think that a properly designed headphone amp should be tested with various loads with various amounts of capacitance, inductance and resistance to simulate various headphones before the design is finalized.

The iQube seems to be a flawed design, not too sure why they designed in such an extreme high frequency roll off...:cool:

May 4, 2014 at 9:24 AM Post #7,253 of 12,546
I've been comparing my Alpha Dogs to my DT880s. There is no comparison 
confused_face.gif
 the Alpha Dogs are closed headphones and they have smoother treble than the DT880s while still sounding relatively open for a closed headphone with incredibly accurate deep tight bass.

The Alpha Dogs are way better than the DT880s and maintain a good neutral balance. I would say the DT880s are bright and the Alpha Dogs are perfectly balanced now that I've made the comparison on my equipment. Anyone who owns a pair of DT880s would really enjoy the sound signature of the Alpha Dogs because it doesn't have a treble peak and is pretty flat sounding and I don't mean bass light when I say flat. 6Moons audio compared the highs of the ADs to the HE-6. For $600 I don't think you could do any better 
jecklinsmile.gif

May 4, 2014 at 4:59 PM Post #7,254 of 12,546
  I've been comparing my Alpha Dogs to my DT880s. There is no comparison 
confused_face.gif
 the Alpha Dogs are closed headphones and they have smoother treble than the DT880s while still sounding relatively open for a closed headphone with incredibly accurate deep tight bass.

The Alpha Dogs are way better than the DT880s and maintain a good neutral balance. I would say the DT880s are bright and the Alpha Dogs are perfectly balanced now that I've made the comparison on my equipment. Anyone who owns a pair of DT880s would really enjoy the sound signature of the Alpha Dogs because it doesn't have a treble peak and is pretty flat sounding and I don't mean bass light when I say flat. 6Moons audio compared the highs of the ADs to the HE-6. For $600 I don't think you could do any better 
jecklinsmile.gif

And it's because of these reasons that I decided (after first hearing the AD's) to buy them.
The HE-6 is at the top of my list of outstanding HP's
My DT-880 / 600's have always been a bit bright (though this can be mitigated by the choice of amp and/or EQ).
And... to have overcome the claustrophobics of a closed can.

Brilliant.

May 5, 2014 at 12:52 AM Post #7,255 of 12,546
I would say the DT880s are bright and the Alpha Dogs are perfectly balanced now that I've made the comparison on my equipment. Anyone who owns a pair of DT880s would really enjoy the sound signature of the Alpha Dogs 
jecklinsmile.gif

Hi wahsmoh, I'm coming to the conclusion that while I'm in love with the air and soundstage of the DT880-600, I just can't handle the shrill highs with some material.. and I wish the lows had more thump and body. I'm checking out the HD 650s right now and they're really nice -- they fill in what's missing from the 880s but they lack the air that the 880s have. I'm looking for something dead in the middle of these two. Do the Alpha Dogs fit that bill?

May 5, 2014 at 1:09 AM Post #7,256 of 12,546
  Hi wahsmoh, I'm coming to the conclusion that while I'm in love with the air and soundstage of the DT880-600, I just can't handle the shrill highs with some material.. and I wish the lows had more thump and body. I'm checking out the HD 650s right now and they're really nice -- they fill in what's missing from the 880s but they lack the air that the 880s have. I'm looking for something dead in the middle of these two. Do the Alpha Dogs fit that bill?

The highs with some albums are shrill at times. But I find much of this is in how the album was mastered.  I do use a dynamic EQ which helps this problem along with giving the bass more punch.

But I would like to know more about the HD 650s.

Bob

May 5, 2014 at 1:29 AM Post #7,257 of 12,546

Hey ccash I have been doing extensive listening and comparisons between the DT880 and the ADs. While the DT880s definitely have more overall "air" the AD tails behind only by a slight margin. The ADs feature effortless airy treble that doesn't have the ear piercing peak of the DT880s. They also feature a midrange that lends itself to the texture and realness of vocals both male and female. The bass is among some of the best I have ever heard as far as extension, impact, and texture. They approach LCD-2 territory and don't let anyone tell you otherwise, these babies have bass when listening to bass heavy hip hop tracks yet don't compromise when listening to jazz bass guitar riffs.

"I'm looking for something dead in the middle of these two." As far as sound signature goes the ADs fit between the two, but in overall performance the Alpha Dogs are in another league of imaging and neutrality for a closed headphone. I would personally buy the Alpha Dog over the HD650 mostly because the Alpha Dog is technically and sonically superior to the HD650. I would say the Alpha Dog even images female vocals better with a nice liquid mid range and extension in both directions. The HD650 and DT880 are only going to win in overall soundstage and layering because they are open but when it comes to cup depth the Alpha Dogs have plenty and that lends to a good sonic image of the soundstage.

May 5, 2014 at 1:54 AM Post #7,258 of 12,546
A kind member has allowed me to demo his Schitt Magni for one week. So I'll have both Objective 2 and Schitt Magni arriving over the next few days.

It's a very similar situation to the HD600 and DT880 scenario. Wanting to test the Magni before I purchased, but finding an O2 by accident for sale and grabbing that first. 

May 5, 2014 at 2:29 AM Post #7,259 of 12,546
Thanks. That sounds VERY intriguing!

The 650's veil is upon me... people claim it is lifted after 100, 200 or even 300 hours of break-in, so I'm going to give them their due and break 'em in continuously for the next few days. I will say though -- it's been about 50 hours and they do sound more open already.

People are saying things like, " They went from being bass bloated to bass-light and bright, until finally they settled in and now they're perfect." I'm willing to find out if this is true. So far from what I've read the HD 600s sound like they may be just what I'm looking for. That is, until hearing about these Alpha Dogs. And for the work I do, closed phones would be a lot better. Hmmmm...

Chasing the Holy Grail of sound is frustrating AND fun! 
beyersmile.png

May 5, 2014 at 2:51 AM Post #7,260 of 12,546
  Thanks. That sounds VERY intriguing!

The 650's veil is upon me... people claim it is lifted after 100, 200 or even 300 hours of break-in, so I'm going to give them their due and break 'em in continuously for the next few days. I will say though -- it's been about 50 hours and they do sound more open already.

People are saying things like, " They went from being bass bloated to bass-light and bright, until finally they settled in and now they're perfect." I'm willing to find out if this is true. So far from what I've read the HD 600s sound like they may be just what I'm looking for. That is, until hearing about these Alpha Dogs. And for the work I do, closed phones would be a lot better. Hmmmm...

Chasing the Holy Grail of sound is frustrating AND fun! 
beyersmile.png

I have been on the chase for awhile. I am approaching the cave Indiana Jones and the Nazis are in and deciding which aftermarket cable to use for my Alpha Dogs. Probably going to end up getting a DHC Molecule or Q Audio cable. I am mostly upgrading the cables because the stock ones are stiff and the headphones could benefit from a more flexible cable. I do believe high quality copper cables tend to give headphones a "fuller, thicker" sound and bring them to their potential (aside from silver that gets complicated). The Alpha Dogs will rock your world I would hope you get the chance to test them somewhere like a Head-fi meet. My Head-fi journey is nearing its end. I have found my open and closed headphones to satisfying my late night music binge. 
smily_headphones1.gif
beyersmile.png

edit: BTW I noticed your location says Socal. I was at the last Head-fi meet in the OC area and that was where I had the chance to demo the Alpha Dog. You should go to T.H.E. Headphonium 2014 it is in the Newport area and Dan from Mr Speakers will be there along with other industry leaders.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back