The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Apr 30, 2014 at 8:08 AM Post #7,186 of 12,546
Yup, I have the O2+ODAC and 600 Ohm DT880s. Sounds just fine and it's plenty powerful. :)

I think I'll be getting the 250ohm version because I heard they're not very different from the 600ohm And they're cheaper too. How accurate is this?

Apr 30, 2014 at 8:33 AM Post #7,187 of 12,546

Im referring to this review (http://www.keithstead.com/and_more/reviews/beyer_dt880_pro.html). It seems to be a common quality control problem, googling it.

Ah, yes, I've heard about this issue affecting the DT990 Pro as well.  Pretty sure it's due to the heavy coiled cable more than anything else.

I have the 'Premium Edition' which has a 3m straight cable, and I've not heard about the issue commonly affecting this version.  Aside from the cable, the only differences between between the Premium and Pro models are a slightly tighter clamp on the Pro, and the Premium looking a bit nicer.

Apr 30, 2014 at 9:55 AM Post #7,189 of 12,546
Good timing, I just checked in to say how much I'm enjoying DT880 (250ohm)

To be honest guys, while I enjoy HD600 I prefer DT880 by quite a margin. I think the Sennheiser has slightly tighter bass and better treble detail overall and prefer it's mid-bass quantity however, it's a little too relaxed for my liking, those who prefer a laid back presentation might take HD600. For me DT880 while smooth is more involving and has that heft or chesty detail in the lower mids that makes them almost creamy to the ear and non fatiguing. Having had both headphones right beside me for the good part of a week DT880 gets more listening time.

My original plan was demo HD600 to assess whether I'd purchase one, however the DT880 just came from no-where and was an impulse purchase from the boards for a good price,  ($150 Aud shipped), my plan of attack being if the Beyers worked out I'd save some of the $329 Aud on HD600 (the cheapest) I can get them imported to Australia from my searches.

The final outcome is my instincts paid off and the HD600 will go back to their owner while the Beyers continue to sing, actually sing for the last 3 hours now with almost no fatigue on my ears. I do however want to focus on a better amp for them and by all means maybe the HD600 could of shone better than Aune T1 dac/amp or feed from Aunes line out to JDS C421, though those are the breaks for now.

I have some new tubes coming for the Aune this week such as the Golden Lion 6922/E88CC, I'll give the HD600 another try, though my mind is pretty set, Beyers won the hook in my stable.

I hope one of them is the orange globe? Absolutely put a schiit eating grin on my face w/ the 880s. :D

Apr 30, 2014 at 9:59 AM Post #7,190 of 12,546

Im referring to this review (http://www.keithstead.com/and_more/reviews/beyer_dt880_pro.html). It seems to be a common quality control problem, googling it.

Looks like the repair shop broke the driver wire while fixing the cable problem as it is extremely easy to do... Good thing that was a warranty repair.

This fixes the coiled cable problem, my tinyXLR's are DIY, but BTG Audio offers a reasonable service.

beerchug.gif

Apr 30, 2014 at 10:09 AM Post #7,191 of 12,546
I hope one of them is the orange globe? Absolutely put a schiit eating grin on my face w/ the 880s.
biggrin.gif

Unfortunately none of them are Orange Globes, however I can assure that name is stuck in my head constantly.

Only a matter of time. Very short amount of time! 

I've had to go without my Beyers for the rest of this evening (well morning now), the pads needed a hand wash, I'm trying to resuscitate some form of existence back in them. We did however spend almost 6 hours in total (on/off) together today and I love them greatly. 

Apr 30, 2014 at 10:19 AM Post #7,192 of 12,546
Chasing the illusive Holy Orange Globes...

Sounds like you need to step up into a full size OTL amp very soon there H20. :D

Apr 30, 2014 at 10:31 AM Post #7,193 of 12,546
Chasing the illusive Holy Orange Globes...

Sounds like you need to step up into a full size OTL amp very soon there H20.
biggrin.gif

I'm thinking about a dedicated amp just for DT880 and using Aune as the dac (from line out), It must come later for now. Although I can assure you when H20 isn't typing here he's most likely busy scanning threads and websites researching exactly what you mentioned above. For members that aren't aware I've really stuck to portable 'everything' up until a few weeks ago. All this desktop equipment is quite new to me, I feel a little overwhelmed like a kid in a candy store starting all over again, like I did originally with IEMs. New names, amps, cables etc to study and research. I do think desktop setups is where the quality is over portable from my already short experience. I'm very happy DT880 was brought into the equation so early.

Apr 30, 2014 at 10:47 AM Post #7,194 of 12,546
I think the Aune T1 is a great performer as a dac. I've tried a few other dacs in the same price range, trying to find a replacement but so far, it's stayed my primary dac for well over a year. (E17, 2 variants of ELE dac, Modi, and NFB12).

Apr 30, 2014 at 11:23 AM Post #7,195 of 12,546
I think the Aune T1 is a great performer as a dac. I've tried a few other dacs in the same price range, trying to find a replacement but so far, it's stayed my primary dac for well over a year. (E17, 2 variants of ELE dac, Modi, and NFB12).

It's proving well so far!

Apr 30, 2014 at 2:24 PM Post #7,196 of 12,546
Well, if you're looking for a desktop amp, Bottlehead Crack IMO is a very safe (and excellent choice) for anything under $500.

Above $500, Woo Audio WA7 is an excellent choice. Plus it has a very good DAC built in.

Another good choice for around $500 is the ALO Pan Am... though you may want to spend a bit more for a tube upgrade for that one.

Apr 30, 2014 at 3:39 PM Post #7,197 of 12,546

Good timing, I just checked in to say how much I'm enjoying DT880 (250ohm)

To be honest guys, while I enjoy HD600 I prefer DT880 by quite a margin. I think the Sennheiser has slightly tighter bass and better treble detail overall and prefer it's mid-bass quantity however, it's a little too relaxed for my liking, those who prefer a laid back presentation might take HD600. For me DT880 while smooth is more involving and has that heft or chesty detail in the lower mids that makes them almost creamy to the ear and non fatiguing. Having had both headphones right beside me for the good part of a week DT880 gets more listening time.

My original plan was demo HD600 to assess whether I'd purchase one, however the DT880 just came from no-where and was an impulse purchase from the boards for a good price,  ($150 Aud shipped), my plan of attack being if the Beyers worked out I'd save some of the $329 Aud on HD600 (the cheapest) I can get them imported to Australia from my searches.

The final outcome is my instincts paid off and the HD600 will go back to their owner while the Beyers continue to sing, actually sing for the last 3 hours now with almost no fatigue on my ears. I do however want to focus on a better amp for them and by all means maybe the HD600 could of shone better than Aune T1 dac/amp or feed from Aunes line out to JDS C421, though those are the breaks for now.

I have some new tubes coming for the Aune this week such as the Golden Lion 6922/E88CC, I'll give the HD600 another try, though my mind is pretty set, Beyers won the hook in my stable.

I had that problem with the HD 600 and many other Senns, is that they are just a bit too laid-back. Problem is, is that the laid-back sound causes a bit of a disconnect with the music, I ended up quite bored with them. I had the problem to a lesser degree with higher end systems as well, while it got better they didn't enamor me like AKGs or Beyers have.

Apr 30, 2014 at 3:44 PM Post #7,198 of 12,546
I've had two days now with my new tubes in the Darkvoice (RCA VT231 greyglass and RCA 6AS7 black plates). There's an improvement over the stock tubes for sure, but not anything mind-blowing. What was mind-blowing was last night I put on my ATH-M50s for a while before switching to the 880s. Whoa. Beyond night and day. So in comparison to that, the tube changes are subtle, but nice. just what I expected: thicker lows, a little sweeter, less strident high-mid. Treble detail is still there. Slightly less dynamic -- or maybe it just seems that way since some of the wincing sharpness is smoothed-over. Oh yeah, and a definite change in character after being on for 24 hours. Overall, quite a nice upgrade!

I'm flirting with the darkside too -- I have a pair of 650s on the way. I need to know. As I've said before, they were one of the few I was able to audition recently (on my iphone
rolleyes.gif
) and I really liked what I heard. I need to hear them again with real equipment against the 880s. I love a lot of things about the 880s, but after having them for a few weeks I'm afraid the SS may not be audio nirvana for my ears.

And just a heads-up:

Quote:
  Assuming they are both sold directly from Amazon, you could get them both and return the one you like the least.

Amazon give you a no-questions-asked 30 day return period (assuming you don't damage the headphones!)

Careful with this. Apparently they do have their limits. I've read more than one account where a person was banned from Amazon for too many returns. In one case it was unfortunate because a guy got three faulty Macs in a row. He didn't have a history of frivolous returns, but after he returned the third computer his account was suspended for life... I guess being an expensive item made a difference too.

Apr 30, 2014 at 4:00 PM Post #7,199 of 12,546
  Well, if you're looking for a desktop amp, Bottlehead Crack IMO is a very safe (and excellent choice) for anything under $500.

Above $500, Woo Audio WA7 is an excellent choice. Plus it has a very good DAC built in.

Another good choice for around $500 is the ALO Pan Am... though you may want to spend a bit more for a tube upgrade for that one.

Then there is also the Little Dot MK IV SE, Darkvoice 336 SE, Musical Paradise MP-301 MK3 to consider with cheap tubes these amps can hit well above their price point and compete with higher tier amps.

A used Woo WA6 with a selection of tubes would be a good bargain as well.

Over $500 I would head straight for the WA2 or WA6SE

Personally I don't think the Pan Am would have enough power to run the DT880's with any authority but I could be wrong...

Apr 30, 2014 at 4:55 PM Post #7,200 of 12,546
Hi guys, I was just wondering what people think of the DT880 600ohm/250ohm vs AKG545 (which I currently own)

I understand that obviously these are very different phones but I still want to get an opinion from people.

If I do end up buying a DT880, i will be driving it with a DX90

Users who are viewing this thread

Back