The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Apr 25, 2014 at 12:52 PM Post #7,113 of 12,548
I am beginning to understand the advantage of tube amps.

I am using software to emulate the behavior of tubes. Sure, the real thing would be an order of magnitude better. And each tube colors the music differently. I get that. But what I am finding out is from hours a day listening to music, every single day of the week. There seems to be an edge or crispness to some music. It comes across as very sharp and clear. This is great to hear at first. Impressive, actually. Recently I have tried the Warmifier by Voxengo. Someone on the Internet did a frequency response test to show at least mathematically it is actually "warming" the sound. I find this takes that "crispness" away to a degree making the result more warm and pleasant to the ears. The trick is maintaining detail in the sound. So I am trying to configure the Warmifier for this compromise. I am going to stay with something like  the Warmifier until I can get the real thing one of these day. Perhaps a Xmas present for myself...earlier in the year?

Does this make sense to anyone?

Apr 25, 2014 at 1:29 PM Post #7,114 of 12,548
Been there done that with both of the top Tube Emulators... Then I bought a Little Dot MK IV and the emulators were deleted and never spoken of again. :D

Apr 25, 2014 at 9:43 PM Post #7,117 of 12,548
r010159,

Sure, that makes sense, and if you like what it's doing then it's great. Who knows, you might buy a tube amp and be disappointed because it doesn't quite do what the emulator does.

The "emulator vs. real thing" is discussed a lot in recording studios too, though not quite as much as analog vs. digital. Aside from those old-school holdouts who swear that analog equipment is better than digital no_matter_what, by now we've all heard digital equipment that blows away the analog equivalents with better fidelity, lower noise floor, no wow and flutter, etc. Usually that's a great thing, but sometimes there's just something missing. It could just be noise (i.e., hiss -- total black can be a little freaky), or a lack of good harmonic distortion, like we were just discussing.

The truth seems to be that when we prefer analog over digital, it's probably because of more than one factor. Of course there are the physical components -- the circuit, tubes and other parts, but then there are intangibles that things like emulators can't seem to account for, like the way the electrons play together, the age of the parts, or even our desire to have those glowy tubes sound better.

I do have some equipment that I've tried to match with software and I just can't beat the real thing. These become prized pieces that hold their value and mystique. Otherwise, digital equipment and software have matched or beaten the analog gear, so a lot of it has gone to the landfills.

For the kinds of analog equipment that can't be outdone by digital, I think some of these tube headphone amps are a perfect example. Software tube emulators may get close to the real thing, but I wonder if it will ever be possible to truly match it.

Apr 25, 2014 at 9:52 PM Post #7,118 of 12,548
  Just got my Vali+Modi and they sound amazing. Much better than the FIIO combo that I returned (although the FIIOs were faulty so it could have possibly affected the sound).

How high can you turn the volume on the Vali? I got my Vali and Modi the other day and uses them with a pair of DT880 250 ohm and could easily turn it up top 90% when listening to heavy metal...

Apr 25, 2014 at 10:19 PM Post #7,121 of 12,548
Having read a lot of posts and reviews regarding pad rolling on the 880/600, I agree that the original pads completely destroy the bass on these cans.  What pads are you guys using out there that you find successful?

If I can find some decent pads, I may end up selling these.  right now, my hd600 bass is better, and that shouldn't be.

Apr 25, 2014 at 10:42 PM Post #7,122 of 12,548
Then it isn't just me being deaf than, that's a comfort. What would you have to pay to get an amp that you don't even need to pass 50% with?
$300
Darkvoice 336SE, Little Dot MK III and so on...

Apr 26, 2014 at 12:28 AM Post #7,125 of 12,548
  I am beginning to understand the advantage of tube amps.

I am using software to emulate the behavior of tubes. Sure, the real thing would be an order of magnitude better. And each tube colors the music differently. I get that. But what I am finding out is from hours a day listening to music, every single day of the week. There seems to be an edge or crispness to some music. It comes across as very sharp and clear. This is great to hear at first. Impressive, actually. Recently I have tried the Warmifier by Voxengo. Someone on the Internet did a frequency response test to show at least mathematically it is actually "warming" the sound. I find this takes that "crispness" away to a degree making the result more warm and pleasant to the ears. The trick is maintaining detail in the sound. So I am trying to configure the Warmifier for this compromise. I am going to stay with something like  the Warmifier until I can get the real thing one of these day. Perhaps a Xmas present for myself...earlier in the year?

Does this make sense to anyone?

Good post!

Exactly right, there's a difference between warmth done right and just a simple veil, keeping detail underneath is the key. Also totally agree about fatigue setting in with brighter amps, like you said they wow you from the start but long term just become tiring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back