The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Mar 11, 2014 at 6:33 PM Post #6,751 of 12,548

That or they don't like the synergy of the Beyer and the 15.32.

I don't really believe in synergy. The only way I'd really buy that idea is if they absolutely insisted that the DT880 needed tube tonality to be enjoyable for them, but otherwise I'm not buying it.

Mar 11, 2014 at 6:44 PM Post #6,752 of 12,548
  I don't really believe in synergy. The only way I'd really buy that idea is if they absolutely insisted that the DT880 needed tube tonality to be enjoyable for them, but otherwise I'm not buying it.

I'm personally a strong believer in synergy as I have experienced drastic changes from amp to amp on many headphones that change the headphone quite a bit sonically. Different amps sound different though and a different sound signature of an amp will change how a headphone sounds. Doesn't really matter if it's a tube or not. It's just a matter of the sound signatures playing right to whatever the persons preferences are.

Mar 11, 2014 at 6:46 PM Post #6,753 of 12,548

I'm personally a strong believer in synergy as I have experienced drastic changes from amp to amp on many headphones that change the headphone quite a bit sonically. Different amps sound different though and a different sound signature of an amp will change how a headphone sounds. Doesn't really matter if it's a tube or not. It's just a matter of the sound signatures playing right to whatever the persons preferences are.

That's just amp quality, as far as I see it. I don't believe that two solid state amps of the same quality level are really going to make one headphone sound good and the other sound bad. 

Mar 11, 2014 at 6:51 PM Post #6,754 of 12,548
  That's just amp quality, as far as I see it. I don't believe that two solid state amps of the same quality level are really going to make one headphone sound good and the other sound bad. 

I would believe that if every amp of a similar quality sounded the same, but I haven't heard two different amps sound exactly the same.

Mar 11, 2014 at 6:59 PM Post #6,755 of 12,548
There will be peace in the Middle East before we settle all this!

Mar 11, 2014 at 7:20 PM Post #6,756 of 12,548
Really? I'm looking forward to that. 
tongue.gif

Mar 11, 2014 at 7:36 PM Post #6,757 of 12,548
There's a line in a Blues Traveler song that pretty much sums up all the Head-Fi debates:

"As we seek so shall we find"

No matter what people want to believe, they always seem to find it to be so. I can't recall ever reading a post by somebody who said, "I went into this hobby expecting amps and cables to all sound the same; I read all the arguments and really got behind the idea, and you know what? After listening to about a dozen different examples and spending lots of money, I've concluded that there isn't a bloody difference at all!"

Mar 11, 2014 at 7:47 PM Post #6,758 of 12,548
  There's a line in a Blues Traveler song that pretty much sums up all the Head-Fi debates:

No matter what people want to believe, they always seem to find it to be so. I can't recall ever reading a post by somebody who said, "I went into this hobby expecting amps and cables to all sound the same; I read all the arguments and really got behind the idea, and you know what? After listening to about a dozen different examples and spending lots of money, I've concluded that there isn't a bloody difference at all!"

Check out the Sound Science Fiction Forum!

Mar 11, 2014 at 11:01 PM Post #6,759 of 12,548

Maybe if you're weak minded (which of course is not an uncommon condition).

I believe I'm free of expectation bias, as I've been surprised so may times, even against my will. What you're implying is that we hear what we WANT to hear, whereas I keep hearing what I don't want to hear. And I've never heard the slightest difference between cables, despite wanting to after spending a bundle on one. I have however heard the effects of burn-in, but not consistently--it usually doesn't happen when I want it to. I wish sometimes I was more susceptible to wishful thinking, as it would make hi-fi life so much easier.

Mar 12, 2014 at 12:54 AM Post #6,760 of 12,548

Maybe if you're weak minded (which of course is not an uncommon condition).

I believe I'm free of expectation bias, as I've been surprised so may times, even against my will. What you're implying is that we hear what we WANT to hear, whereas I keep hearing what I don't want to hear. And I've never heard the slightest difference between cables, despite wanting to after spending a bundle on one. I have however heard the effects of burn-in, but not consistently--it usually doesn't happen when I want it to. I wish sometimes I was more susceptible to wishful thinking, as it would make hi-fi life so much easier.

This is a very honest approach to hi-fi. Personally, I believe in burn in only with speakers and headphones. But that is just my opinion. I agree about the cables. I feel myself winding up, so I better stop here. 
normal_smile .gif

BG

Mar 12, 2014 at 5:19 AM Post #6,761 of 12,548
Between substantial clipping to the point of distortion, the over compressed tracks (I can understand this to a degree), albums that have both problems (where substantial clipping through the entire track is the norm), and now distorted recordings. I am tempted to delete all tracks and albums that are bothersome to listen to for these reasons, and be more careful with my purchases in the future. The DT880s are proving there is allot of crap out there.

Agreed.
I often hear distortion, yet can't find the clipping in the waveform (Audacity's search), but when I look at the waveform myself, I can see the plateaus, albeit below 100%.
Which leads me to the conclusion, that sometimes distortions creep in before the final master is done.

Meh.

Still, I'm loving these headphones to death.
They are so comfortable, that sometimes, when the playlist runs out, I only notice after 2-3hrs that I'm still wearing them. :D

Still, I'm curious whether I'd be capable of hearing a difference to the T1.

Mar 12, 2014 at 7:49 AM Post #6,762 of 12,548
Agreed.
I often hear distortion, yet can't find the clipping in the waveform (Audacity's search), but when I look at the waveform myself, I can see the plateaus, albeit below 100%.
Which leads me to the conclusion, that sometimes distortions creep in before the final master is done.

Meh.

Still, I'm loving these headphones to death.
They are so comfortable, that sometimes, when the playlist runs out, I only notice after 2-3hrs that I'm still wearing them. :D

Still, I'm curious whether I'd be capable of hearing a difference to the T1.

The T1 does sound different.
First impression is that it is a too bright DT880!

Mar 12, 2014 at 9:13 AM Post #6,764 of 12,548
I prefer the sound of a Full open back headphone, which could be why the DT880 premium 600s didn't do it for me any more, As I did like it sound signature it just I want more wider sound stage and more space between the instruments, besides wanting more. I always like open back headphones more so then closed back or so called semi-open, but when you live in areas where outside noises interfere it makes it hard. I also Produce music as well, so that's another factor, beside being a PC gamer.

Mar 12, 2014 at 9:34 AM Post #6,765 of 12,548
  I prefer the sound of a Full open back headphone, which could be why the DT880 premium 600s didn't do it for me any more, As I did like it sound signature it just I want more wider sound stage and more space between the instruments, besides wanting more. I always like open back headphones more so then closed back or so called semi-open, but when you live in areas where outside noises interfere it makes it hard. I also Produce music as well, so that's another factor, beside being a PC gamer.

If that's the case you may enjoy the K612 or K702/Q701 more in the same tier because they are open and have a wider sound stage with more space to the sound than the DT 880 while staying quite close to neutral like the DT 880.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back