The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Jan 13, 2014 at 9:58 PM Post #6,121 of 12,546
That's fine from a sound quality point of view, but tubes light up the room and are hot---not fine in a hot country (Australia) and if you want to have the TV on. They are in fact just straight out fiddley-diddley, so will never be entirely practical for everybody. I use a Marantz SR4023 STEREO receiver, which gives me a nice warm sound + the convenience of remote control of volume and tone in 1db increments. These things are not to be sneezed at. Convenience and comfort can be as essential to listening pleasure as sound quality itself, and if I had to stir myself to adjust the volume or tone with each new track (with, say, home compilations) I would soon tire of the comparatively subtle benefits of tubes. I know this is all heresy, but it's also real life, and when you get a bit older you need your comfort and convenience.

Now I think I'll just take a little nap.  zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

It's a personal thing.
I'm not big on using a massive receiver to drive headphones.
I keep my headphone amp right next to me, so I don't need a remote.

But you're still a heretic.:wink:

Jan 13, 2014 at 10:35 PM Post #6,122 of 12,546
The world needs heretics, or else we'd all end up believing the same things.

Jan 14, 2014 at 6:28 AM Post #6,123 of 12,546
I'm not big on using a massive receiver to drive headphones.

I agree actually, but it's unavoidable if you want the convenience. However, by using a stereo receiver you keep power consumption to a minimum. The Marantz only draws around 25W, which isn't much more than some of the more elaborate HP amps.  Space is more the problem, but Marantz is shifting now to slimline components.

Frankly, having sampled quite a few of the more respected HP amps (including valve units, though no super duper ones), I don't feel as if I'm sacrificing much.

Jan 14, 2014 at 6:57 AM Post #6,124 of 12,546

Then you shall burn as a witch.
Are you not a Witch?
Or the companion of a Witch?
A Warlock perhaps?
Or a spirit from a parallel universe?

Prove you are Not a Witch:
Do you like tubes?

Jan 14, 2014 at 8:47 AM Post #6,125 of 12,546
But you're still a heretic.
wink.gif

Hurray! I have company, 

+1

Prove you are Not a Witch:
Do you like tubes?

:O some days

Jan 14, 2014 at 9:58 AM Post #6,126 of 12,546
Heil to S.S. Amps
evil_smiley.gif

(i am getting back a DT 880-600 ohms soon 
tongue.gif
)

Jan 14, 2014 at 10:38 AM Post #6,127 of 12,546
  Heil to S.S. Amps
evil_smiley.gif

(i am getting back a DT 880-600 ohms soon 
tongue.gif
)

YES Furhier! 

yea... I like my dt 880 through a Solid State... every day all day :3

Jan 14, 2014 at 3:26 PM Post #6,128 of 12,546
Hi guys, hope you don't mind me jumping in here but I'm seriously considering some 880's and had a couple questions.  Hoping I might get more input here than the "help" section :).  I got a chance to listen to the 250 ohm Pro's last night at a Guitar Center.  I had to listen through my phone because the guy in the Pro Audio dept. couldn't get any of their studio setups to output anything to headphones for some reason (he tried two different consoles, whatever).  Still, I really liked the sound (also compared directly to 80 ohm DT 770's).  I just have a few points that I'm concerned about.  First is suitability for my music style.  Mainly heavy metal & hard rock but with some other stuff thrown in.  Examples are Metallica, In Flames, Halestorm, Joe Satriani, Black Label Society, occasionally some Stevie Ray Vaughn style "blues rock".  I'm pretty sure the 880's will be ok for this.  I saw them recommended in a thread for similar styles and they did sound good even through my phone.  I'm not looking for bass heavy or anything, just an accurate representation of the bass lines and such for my first "real" headphones.

My other question is impedances and amping.  As I said I tried the 250 ohm Pro's.  I figured I'd get the 250 ohm premium for the headband differences but I've been reading that the 600 ohm might be a little better with slightly mellowed highs and slight bump in the bass ranges.  I'm concerned about being able to drive those properly though.  For now I had intended to use my HT Omega Claro Halo soundcard which supposedly can drive 600 ohm headphones.  I found a discussion from 4 years ago in this thread that pretty much said unless it's being fed by a 12v power source it probably won't have the power for the 600ohm version though.  Since the card just plugs into the motherboard and does not take an external power connection I'm guessing it's running off 5v instead?  In that case I'd probably go with one of the Schiit amps I've seen either the magni or vali not sure which and either run them off the RCA outputs from my soundcard (using the card as a DAC) or get something like the Modi as well.  Or maybe I should just grab the 250 ohm and eq the highs a bit?

What do you guys think?  Any thoughts?  Again apologies if this is not where I should have posted this, I'm hoping it's appropriate since the thread seems to be for discussion about the 880's in particular though.

Jan 14, 2014 at 3:32 PM Post #6,129 of 12,546
  Hi guys, hope you don't mind me jumping in here but I'm seriously considering some 880's and had a couple questions.  Hoping I might get more input here than the "help" section :).  I got a chance to listen to the 250 ohm Pro's last night at a Guitar Center.  I had to listen through my phone because the guy in the Pro Audio dept. couldn't get any of their studio setups to output anything to headphones for some reason (he tried two different consoles, whatever).  Still, I really liked the sound (also compared directly to 80 ohm DT 770's).  I just have a few points that I'm concerned about.  First is suitability for my music style.  Mainly heavy metal & hard rock but with some other stuff thrown in.  Examples are Metallica, In Flames, Halestorm, Joe Satriani, Black Label Society, occasionally some Stevie Ray Vaughn style "blues rock".  I'm pretty sure the 880's will be ok for this.  I saw them recommended in a thread for similar styles and they did sound good even through my phone.  I'm not looking for bass heavy or anything, just an accurate representation of the bass lines and such for my first "real" headphones.

My other question is impedances and amping.  As I said I tried the 250 ohm Pro's.  I figured I'd get the 250 ohm premium for the headband differences but I've been reading that the 600 ohm might be a little better with slightly mellowed highs and slight bump in the bass ranges.  I'm concerned about being able to drive those properly though.  For now I had intended to use my HT Omega Claro Halo soundcard which supposedly can drive 600 ohm headphones.  I found a discussion from 4 years ago in this thread that pretty much said unless it's being fed by a 12v power source it probably won't have the power for the 600ohm version though.  Since the card just plugs into the motherboard and does not take an external power connection I'm guessing it's running off 5v instead?  In that case I'd probably go with one of the Schiit amps I've seen either the magni or vali not sure which and either run them off the RCA outputs from my soundcard (using the card as a DAC) or get something like the Modi as well.  Or maybe I should just grab the 250 ohm and eq the highs a bit?

What do you guys think?  Any thoughts?  Again apologies if this is not where I should have posted this, I'm hoping it's appropriate since the thread seems to be for discussion about the 880's in particular though.

If money is not an issue definitely 600 ohm edition + a schiit amp.

Jan 14, 2014 at 3:34 PM Post #6,130 of 12,546

The difference is negligible. I believe someone out there has tried abing the 250 and the 600 and the only time differences can be slightly heard is when they fed it an OTL amp. If you never intend to get anything like that, I'd go with the 250. It's more versatile since it can run from portable sources a lot better than the 600s can.

TL;DR - 600 ONLY if you plan to get a OTL tube amp and if you don't plan to move around else get 250.

Jan 14, 2014 at 3:49 PM Post #6,132 of 12,546

If you liked the sound of the 250 ohm 880's through your phone - then go with them.  It's more important what you like, than what we think 
wink.gif

Also 600 ohm vs 250 ohm.  I've owned 3 versions.  Initally the Pro 250, then the Premium 600, and now the Premium 250's.  As Mr Eleventy said, the actual difference is pretty negligible (sonically).  The only reason I'd take the 600s over the 250s is if you already own and OTL Tube amp with a highish (+ 50 ohm) output impedance vie the HP out.  Damping factor then suggests that the 600 ohm are more suitable.

I have an LD MKIV which is why I switched to the 600ohm.  But I got the chance to compare 250 and 600ohm side by side - and (to my ears) there was hardly any difference.  When I sold the 600 ohm and had a chance to rebuy again, I went with the 250 ohm (and still own them).  Best thing is that they are driven beautifully by my Studio V3 (DAP), and at a pinch, even straight out of my iPhone they sound OK.  The 250ohm is simply more versatile.

Jan 14, 2014 at 3:52 PM Post #6,133 of 12,546
The difference is negligible. I believe someone out there has tried abing the 250 and the 600 and the only time differences can be slightly heard is when they fed it an OTL amp. If you never intend to get anything like that, I'd go with the 250. It's more versatile since it can run from portable sources a lot better than the 600s can.

TL;DR - 600 ONLY if you plan to get a OTL tube amp and if you don't plan to move around else get 250.

Had to go see what an OTL actually was.  Well, I suppose I could end up with something like that down the road, but to start with I'd be looking in the budget end with something like the Schiit Magni or Vali (or similar from other brands).  I wouldn't need to run it on a portable source really since I have a decent set of earbuds for that but I guess the ability might be nice for times I don't want to use those.  Sounds like maybe I should go with the Pro 250's.  Just read some stuff that the headband can be bent if needed to reduce the clamping and it sounds like they can be repaired easier.  They're also about $70 cheaper on Amazon (210 vs. 282 for the Premium models).  

Jan 14, 2014 at 3:54 PM Post #6,134 of 12,546

The 880s are fantastic for energetic hard rock/metal. I spent many hours with them through both a nice OTL amp (Schiit Valhalla) and through my solid state Auditor. The 880s in my mind are a fantastic can for this style of music and as a bonus they play very well for other musical genres which is important for me. I would second that it doesn't have to be a Schiit OTL amp, I have heard that the Bottlehead Crack with the speedball option is another fantastic choice (and I am sure there are other great choices) as well. The Valhalla was very good with the 880s and for me I liked the very slight warmth it imparted as for some the 880s are a tad harsh due to a fairly neutral character.

Jan 14, 2014 at 3:58 PM Post #6,135 of 12,546

If you liked the sound of the 250 ohm 880's through your phone - then go with them.  It's more important what you like, than what we think 
wink.gif

Also 600 ohm vs 250 ohm.  I've owned 3 versions.  Initally the Pro 250, then the Premium 600, and now the Premium 250's.  As Mr Eleventy said, the actual difference is pretty negligible (sonically).  The only reason I'd take the 600s over the 250s is if you already own and OTL Tube amp with a highish (+ 50 ohm) output impedance vie the HP out.  Damping factor then suggests that the 600 ohm are more suitable.

I have an LD MKIV which is why I switched to the 600ohm.  But I got the chance to compare 250 and 600ohm side by side - and (to my ears) there was hardly any difference.  When I sold the 600 ohm and had a chance to rebuy again, I went with the 250 ohm (and still own them).  Best thing is that they are driven beautifully by my Studio V3 (DAP), and at a pinch, even straight out of my iPhone they sound OK.  The 250ohm is simply more versatile.

Thanks for the info.  I should have made sure to mention that I won't normally be using them with my phone, it was just the only source available to test with due to the epic failure of the Guitar Center guy to operate his display equipment and I figured at the very least I'd get some idea of the Beyer sound and differences between a couple of their models.  The easier drivability in general including portable amps is something that does seem to be a big plus for sure though and it sounds like for example those two Schiit products I mentioned would not really be a good match for the 600 ohm version.  The Vali only has a 6.5 ohm output impedance which would mean a really high damping factor and even more on the Magni.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back