The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Mar 27, 2013 at 7:58 PM Post #2,971 of 12,546
I see you have the La Figaro 336C in your sig, surely your 880s sound better from this. I use the 336i (Darkvoice) with the Tung-Sol 5998, an absolute must have with the 880s!

Oh yeah, baby!
The Tung sounds great!
Can't really compare the 336C to the M-DAC headphone jack though.......because I don't own an M-DAC and I only heard it for a few minutes in a store.
So what was I actually reacting to?
The sound of the superior DAC in the M-DAC?
The headphone amp in the M-DAC?
Someday I'd like to get one and compare the 336 with the headphone jack in the M.

Mar 27, 2013 at 8:01 PM Post #2,972 of 12,546
I'm quite confused with all of the people saying the O2/other desktop amps "can't drive the DT880/600". I mean, my E17 doesn't sound nearly as good as my Lyr, but it still sounds good! Either you guys have extremely high standards or your ears are broken.

Mar 28, 2013 at 12:50 AM Post #2,974 of 12,546
Quote:
I'm quite confused with all of the people saying the O2/other desktop amps "can't drive the DT880/600". I mean, my E17 doesn't sound nearly as good as my Lyr, but it still sounds good! Either you guys have extremely high standards or your ears are broken.

I mean, my $30 JVC HARX700 doesn't sound nearly as good as my D7000, but it still sounds good!

Your point? 
tongue.gif

Mar 28, 2013 at 12:54 AM Post #2,975 of 12,546
Quote:
Oh yeah, baby!
The Tung sounds great!
Can't really compare the 336C to the M-DAC headphone jack though.......because I don't own an M-DAC and I only heard it for a few minutes in a store.
So what was I actually reacting to?
The sound of the superior DAC in the M-DAC?
The headphone amp in the M-DAC?
Someday I'd like to get one and compare the 336 with the headphone jack in the M.

I think you were impressed with the source moreso than the amp.

I've seen people pair the M-DAC with a Busron, there would be no point if the M-DAC amp was sufficient. But this is all He said, She said, I haven't heard it for myself.

Mar 28, 2013 at 1:01 AM Post #2,976 of 12,546
Quote:
Quote:

I mean, my $30 JVC HARX700 doesn't sound nearly as good as my D7000, but it still sounds good!

Your point? 
tongue.gif

I'll be able to test my DT880/600's on a nice amp soon. Loaner pair from Burson, Burson Soloist SL..

Mar 28, 2013 at 1:14 AM Post #2,977 of 12,546
For my ears... the M-DAC has more than enough power for my DT880-600's. And as for Chris J's comments about how good it sounds. Yes. Better than I've heard the 880's sound straight out of any other DAC.

That said, it wouldn't surprise me if it was not loud enough for some... and I wouldn't doubt that the sound quality could be improved with a high quality powerhouse amp.

Mar 28, 2013 at 6:58 AM Post #2,979 of 12,546

I'm confused too.
I agree with your E17 comments, sometimes it runs out of steam and clips, but for the money I have no complaints. At moderate volumes it sounds fine.
I suspect people are confusing power with quality......?

Mar 29, 2013 at 11:56 AM Post #2,980 of 12,546
Man, I was listening to Bill Heid "Asian Persuasion", a Hammond B3 organ trio, last night.  It sounded damn righteous on 880/600 out of an iCAN.  Of course I had the xBass and the 3D on max.
beyersmile.png

I was thinking about selling these, I'm a Grado fanman, but now I'm not so sure.

Mar 29, 2013 at 3:26 PM Post #2,981 of 12,546
Quote:

I am confused as well.  Are these cans really that difficult to drive? I'd like to be able to have a modest amp at home such as the O2 that can drive them just fine and occasionally run them off my E17 when out of the house.  But if I need a more expensive and powerful amp for these headphones, maybe I should consider another set.

Mar 29, 2013 at 3:28 PM Post #2,982 of 12,546
Quote:
I am confused as well.  Are these cans really that difficult to drive? I'd like to be able to have a modest amp at home such as the O2 that can drive them just fine and occasionally run them off my E17 when out of the house.  But if I need a more expensive and powerful amp for these headphones, maybe I should consider another set.

If a more powerful amp than the O2 is necessary, which is apparently up for debate haha, that doesn't mean you need a more expensive amp. The $250 G103 I mentioned earlier has tons of power.

Mar 29, 2013 at 4:11 PM Post #2,983 of 12,546

Maybe I'm not ultra picky or super finicky, but they work just fine with the E17. They are not the ultimate DT880/600 amp, but I've used the E17 and seemed to have "survived"! :D
I prefer using the E17 with the E09K, that combo never runs out of voltage with the DT.

Mar 29, 2013 at 7:44 PM Post #2,984 of 12,546
That's exactly what I'm saying -- they sound just fine with the E17, and I'm sure they sound even better with the O2. The people saying the O2 can't drive them are greatly exaggerating. They are not that hard to drive. They definitely improve noticeably with better amps, but unless you're using a Fiio E6, there will be more than enough volume to go around. Dynamics may not be as great as with a full-sized desktop amp, but it's not like it's going to clip 24/7.

Mar 29, 2013 at 9:45 PM Post #2,985 of 12,546
Quote:
That's exactly what I'm saying -- they sound just fine with the E17, and I'm sure they sound even better with the O2. The people saying the O2 can't drive them are greatly exaggerating. They are not that hard to drive. They definitely improve noticeably with better amps, but unless you're using a Fiio E6, there will be more than enough volume to go around. Dynamics may not be as great as with a full-sized desktop amp, but it's not like it's going to clip 24/7.

Maybe I'm a snob but I don't understand paying $300 only to hear 80% of my purchase. If I buy a headphone I want to hear it in it's full glory, otherwise who knows what you're hearing and as a result recommending further down the line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back