The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Dec 19, 2011 at 9:05 PM Post #1,546 of 12,548

Quote:

I hear the T1 is more fun and engaging than the DT880, but that the DT880 is actually more neutral.

Ummm....NO!

The T1s are far more balanced and neutral over the more "U" shaped DT880s.

Dec 19, 2011 at 9:12 PM Post #1,547 of 12,548
what is T1 ? a DT-880 with an even better soundstage / details , less edgy highs , even bette bass and the best thing :more bodied and fuller midrange (warmer too :p) if i forget something just correct me , only had a brief audition with T1 , and my audio mémory is not very accurate :p.

Dec 19, 2011 at 9:39 PM Post #1,548 of 12,548

Quote:
Ummm....NO!

Were you listening to the 250Ohm version?  Because it's MASSIVELY different than the 32 and 600 ohm versions.
I thought the T1 was really awful compared to the 880/600, but that's just me.  Everyone has different opinions.  The T1 was really U shaped compared to the 880 and it had this really weird distortion at 1khz.  It was so lively and engaging, too.  It wasn't nearly dead and sterile enough for my tastes.  I really hated the T1 because it made all my music sound good instead of how it actually sounds.

Dec 19, 2011 at 9:41 PM Post #1,549 of 12,548

Quote:
Were you listening to the 250Ohm version?  Because it's MASSIVELY different than the 32 and 600 ohm versions.

Trust me...I've owned the 250 and 600 (and heard the 32) and NONE were even close to the T1s in terms of balance!!! Not close.

I suggest you listen to the T1s before making such commments...it can really confuse others.
smile.gif

Dec 19, 2011 at 11:16 PM Post #1,550 of 12,548
Quote:

I would consider the T1 more "U" shaped out of the 2 phones, the T1 being more theatrical in presentation. Slightly more bass presence, a slight warmth in the mid-range with an unfortunate dip to the highs... actually exactly like this:

I think a lot of people are blinded by the price, if a superseding headphone has a bigger price tag it must be better. Unfortunately it's just a cognitive illusion, I do however like the spoken idea of the T1.

Dec 20, 2011 at 12:00 AM Post #1,551 of 12,548
DT880-600 impressions so far:

NFB-12 drives them well enough IMO, and smoothly. No particular harshness in general.

If HD600/650 is 10/10 long term comfort and HD280 Pros are 1/10, these are maybe 5/10. SRH940 is I guess 3/10. Mostly the headband presses the top of my head because it doesn't extend far enough. Fully extended is not nearly enough. HD650 almost fully extended works beautifully for me.

Soundwise they sound good after a few hours of burn in but I must say my initial impressions remain roughly true now. I do very much like the flatness, but sound quality wise... it's very good, but not HD650 good. As expected, bass is not nearly as good as the HD650 even toning down the HD650 midbass to give fair comparison. Treble is not HD650 good IMO, and therefore not nearly SRH940 good. Detail is not even close to SRH940. HD650 win in low-level detail. SO FAR.

We'll see if burn-in changes this any more. I noticed a bit of improvement but not a ton.

Sadly though I must say the comfort issue is a dealbreaker. The only reason I bought these was to solve the comfort issues of the SRH940, and that didn't work out. Even if I end up wanting to keep them due to the sound signature despite sound quality limitations, I can't get over the comfort issues.

Seems the only truly comfortable headphones for large-headed me are Denons and Sennheisers.

Dec 20, 2011 at 2:58 PM Post #1,554 of 12,548

Quote:
thought the T1 was really awful compared to the 880/600, but that's just me. Everyone has different opinions. The T1 was really U shaped compared to the 880 and it had this really weird distortion at 1khz.

Same impression... Without tubes, T1 sound way to bright and treble-oriented. DT880 were much warmer on BeyerDynamic A1 amplifier. 

Dec 20, 2011 at 3:26 PM Post #1,555 of 12,548
I'm kind of disappointed more headphones don't do comfort right. It seems there are three areas of comfort:

- Earpad size and driver positioning
- Clamping force
- Headband

The HD6x0 gets the headband right, padding at 45 degree angles and NOT on the top where pressure gets annoying. It also gets the earpad and driver positioning right because my ears are for the most part untouched by the earphones. Clamping force is great for me because it's light enough to not be uncomfortable and snug enough that I can lay down without them slipping off my head.

The DT880 fails on the earpad, by making it round and too small to contain my ear without crushing it. However the earpad feel itself is very soft. Driver positioning is also a failure because my ear touches the driver (Audio Technica, Shure, and just about everyone else fails here too). Clamping force is very soft which is nice, except when I lay down with them on they feel like they're trying to slip off my had backwards. Headband is the dealbreaker though because I can tolerate the others. The headband at full extension applies considerable pressure to my head. It's like it's just 1 or 2 notches too small for me, but I suspect that even if I could extend it, the fact that the padding extends through the whole headband would still lose out to the HD6x0, which intentionally leaves open space right at the crest of the padding. Audio Technica is the only other headphone I've worn that gets the headband right, with their supremely comfortable wing design.

So in short,

HD800 > HD6x0 > ADx00 > DTxx0 in terms of comfort.

Just to clear that up. People told me before that DT880s are more comfortable than HD650s, and that's just not true. Maybe if you have a smaller head I guess. It's not like my head looks large at all in real life, maybe because I'm tall, but you'd think a European company would be used to people 6+ feet tall.

Dec 20, 2011 at 4:03 PM Post #1,556 of 12,548
Quote:
Just to clear that up. People told me before that DT880s are more comfortable than HD650s, and that's just not true. Maybe if you have a smaller head I guess. It's not like my head looks large at all in real life, maybe because I'm tall, but you'd think a European company would be used to people 6+ feet tall.

Comfort is definitely dependent on size. Personally I find the DT880 one of the most comfortable phones I've ever used, better than the HD600/650 as they don't clamp and squeeze my head. 

Dec 20, 2011 at 7:41 PM Post #1,557 of 12,548

Quote:
I'm kind of disappointed more headphones don't do comfort right. It seems there are three areas of comfort:

- Earpad size and driver positioning
- Clamping force
- Headband

The HD6x0 gets the headband right, padding at 45 degree angles and NOT on the top where pressure gets annoying. It also gets the earpad and driver positioning right because my ears are for the most part untouched by the earphones. Clamping force is great for me because it's light enough to not be uncomfortable and snug enough that I can lay down without them slipping off my head.

The DT880 fails on the earpad, by making it round and too small to contain my ear without crushing it. However the earpad feel itself is very soft. Driver positioning is also a failure because my ear touches the driver (Audio Technica, Shure, and just about everyone else fails here too). Clamping force is very soft which is nice, except when I lay down with them on they feel like they're trying to slip off my had backwards. Headband is the dealbreaker though because I can tolerate the others. The headband at full extension applies considerable pressure to my head. It's like it's just 1 or 2 notches too small for me, but I suspect that even if I could extend it, the fact that the padding extends through the whole headband would still lose out to the HD6x0, which intentionally leaves open space right at the crest of the padding. Audio Technica is the only other headphone I've worn that gets the headband right, with their supremely comfortable wing design.

So in short,

HD800 > HD6x0 > ADx00 > DTxx0 in terms of comfort.

I'm six feet tall and I had to extend ~2-3 notches on each side of the DT880. Can you provide a photo comparing both headphone sizes (HD650 and DT880)? 

Dec 20, 2011 at 7:52 PM Post #1,558 of 12,548
It's probably my head then. Anyway my HD650 almost fully extended is considerably taller than the DT880 fully extended. I don't have a camera at the moment though but it's definitely noticeable. The worst part though is how the DT880 headband tends to flatten out so most of the pressure is at the top. The HD650 is perfectly contoured to my head like it was made for me, and the lack of foam at the very top of the headband makes it even better because it eliminates any of that thumb-on-the-top-of-your-head feeling.

Dec 20, 2011 at 8:06 PM Post #1,559 of 12,548

Quote:
I thought the T1 was really awful compared to the 880/600, but that's just me.  Everyone has different opinions.  The T1 was really U shaped compared to the 880.  It was so lively and engaging, too.  

I had to agree with you here although I wouldn't say the T1 sounds awful compared to the 880. It's basically a DT880 on steroids. Funnily enough, the T1 is not mentioned at all for live/studio applications at Beyerdynamic's website. Anyone here has heard the DT100?

Dec 20, 2011 at 8:43 PM Post #1,560 of 12,548

Quote:
I would consider the T1 more "U" shaped out of the 2 phones, the T1 being more theatrical in presentation. Slightly more bass presence, a slight warmth in the mid-range with an unfortunate dip to the highs... actually exactly like this:

I think a lot of people are blinded by the price, if a superseding headphone has a bigger price tag it must be better. Unfortunately it's just a cognitive illusion, I do however like the spoken idea of the T1.

No, the DT880s have a very metallic like treble that MANY have reported as really annoying, flabby bass and that in turn makes the mids sound well...recessed. The T1's treble is far from metallic and the bass is almost as tight as the HD800s for dynamic headphones. Two things the DT880s only wish they could do. Since you brought up price, it goes both ways...those who don't want to spend the extra $ can say what they want to themselves, but they are missing out. I barely "liked" the DT880s (250 and 600s) when I owned them, but the T1s are a different beast entirely and one of the very best headphones I've heard/owned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back