The Beyerdynamic DT48 Arrives...
Feb 22, 2011 at 2:03 PM Post #2,972 of 4,303

Quote:

Based on the dramatic change in sound with just a small difference in the oval earpads for the new DT-48E, I would guess changing to a more isolating earpad (or any different earpad) would change the sound of the DT-48 in a very big way.

There was a mod done on the DT48E by Kees many moons ago in this thread. He used rather thick acrylic plate (IIRC) as a 'baffle' and then fitted the rather wider AKG K240 velours pads on them. I had the chance to listen to those more than a year ago at a Dutch meet. Surprisingly, the headphone had retained most of its good qualities but had lost quite a bit of its claustrophobic nature. Thinking about it, I really should try that mod myself someday... (Although Kees said that it was quite a challenge, even with his DIY/modding skills.)

Feb 22, 2011 at 3:13 PM Post #2,973 of 4,303
Wow, this thread is definitely moving again. Nice to see, things had come to a bit of a standstill after KBI left.

Quote:
I have just been recently thinking myself about the role of amplification in bass response with the DT48, and I heartedly agree amplification does influence in a meaningfull way. I have currenlty the Meier Stepdance and Graham Ultra-Linear at home and have been able to A/B them. While the Stepdance offers a lean, accurate and tight bass (actually, almost sharp), the Graham UL does offer a deeper, relaxed, textured, powerfull bass (for a DT48 that is
tongue.gif
 ). Now, I just don't know yet how to explain it, as I tend to think both amps are powerfull enough and techically competent to move the DT48 (the Stepdance is a little beast for a portable amp).

Power is not control. Control is for a large part about the ability of the amplifier not just to drive the 'phone but also to deal with the signals the headphone sends back to the amp. As said so many times on these forums by some of the more experienced/knowledgeable members: you can get enough power from a CMoy to drive virtually any headphone. Unfortunately, that doesn't mean it will sound well.
Your experience more or less mirrors mine. I've listened extensively to the DT48 on things like an iPod Class or even a basic Sony Discman, sometimes even on public transport, and enjoyed it. But only in 'isolation'. As soon as you start comparing it with what you get from even a basic desktop amp, you immediately hear what you were missing. The sound becomes so much fuller and more fleshed-out and the technical qualities of the DT48 improve enormously.

Quote:
BTW, Drosera, I have just read you have a new toy... How's that Luxman P1u paired with the DT48
eek.gif

Sorry for the late reply, things have been kinda hectic.
Well, what can I say, the Luxman works very well.
wink_face.gif

It's funny actually, planning to listen to the combination attentively and write something about it, I thought what I would write would be much more negative in tone. But listening to it again it mostly strikes me how well they compliment each other. First of all, it's an amazingly clean-sounding amp, meaning that it deals very well with the feedback of the load. One of the strengths of the Luxman is its bass authority and that really shows with the DT48E. Now they seem on occasion to outperform the W5000 in bass quantity. (Although, the W5000 is certainly not a bassy headphone either.) Still nothing much happening below 30 Hz though.
normal_smile%20.gif

What also helps is that the Luxman is certainly not a cold or even (over-)neutral sounding amp, which makes the DT48 far more pleasant and involving to listen to. Call the Luxman slightly warm if you will, it certainly isn't clinical sounding. The DT48E had fallen slightly out of favour with me in the last few months, I was rarely listening to them. But with the Luxman nicely catering to its strengths and compensating for some of its weaknesses I will certainly be listening a lot more to this headphone in the future.

Feb 22, 2011 at 3:22 PM Post #2,974 of 4,303
Drosera, I was thinking in similar ways. If the HD265 ear pads could work and the presentation would improve in spaciousness the improvement could be dramatic. My HD265 had ear pads which were so comfortable you could just forget there was a HD265 on your head.

Right, I have to try it at some time and if it works apply the modifications on a second DT48E, especially if modifications help to let the low end breath more freely.

Feb 22, 2011 at 3:48 PM Post #2,975 of 4,303
I would think that improving the DT-48's sound, even in the bass, by use of different amps, recabling, etc. - that would all be good because your ears and the drivers would have the same relationship so as to preserve the 48's special midrange qualities.  But when changing to a different earpad or doing other such mods to increase comfort or bass response, seems like it would be a near impossible task to maintain the perfect midrange.

Feb 22, 2011 at 4:10 PM Post #2,976 of 4,303
Maybe so, I will try to find out if I have the time and means to experiment even if that means buying a second DT48E for modification...

Feb 22, 2011 at 9:05 PM Post #2,978 of 4,303

Quote:
Whats the difference between a dynamic driver, high definition driver, & telsa driver?

Dynamic means the electric coil and magnet assembly are somehow attached to the diaphragm and vibrate it directly. There are a lot of variations of this.  The conventional type with a central magnet, the orthos that use a multiple of small magnets driving the diaphragm at different points etc.  I don't think there's an official definition of a "high definition" driver.  If I were to guess (and probably get stoned for it), I'd say anything that qualifies as a monitor 'phone would probably be high-definition.  Tesla, named for the coil, named for the Great One,  is the type used in many Beyerdynamic 'phones.  I can't describe it even as I look at the photos and text, but it's a way to get more magnet around the membrane for better control.  Could I say it's somewhere between a conventional dynamic and an orthodynamic?  Interestingly, Beyer's DT-48 was a lot like the "Tesla" driver in being all metal and very precisely machined for "precision" sound, which I suppose you would have to experience to believe, given how old that technology is.

Feb 23, 2011 at 12:11 AM Post #2,979 of 4,303

Quote:
Drosera, I was thinking in similar ways. If the HD265 ear pads could work and the presentation would improve in spaciousness the improvement could be dramatic. My HD265 had ear pads which were so comfortable you could just forget there was a HD265 on your head.

Right, I have to try it at some time and if it works apply the modifications on a second DT48E, especially if modifications help to let the low end breath more freely.

Keep in mind though, that what you need is not just bigger pads, but you also need to create a 'chamber' behind them that's as resonance-free (and reflection-free) as possible. Kees achieved this by using very thick acrylic and also including a rubber ring around the driver in the chamber.

I found the original post (nice pictures!) here.

Feb 23, 2011 at 4:33 AM Post #2,981 of 4,303

Right, and I agree with your thinking, but even like this, I don't think the Stepdance is losing control of the DT48. That is why I tend to believe it has more to do with how the amp is "voiced" by its designer... The Stepdance is definitely on the analytical side, while retaining some warmth, it has sharp transient (even in low gain), actually a bit too edgy and un-natural for my taste. In fact, I use it exclusively with my Fostex T50Rp which "soften" the sound for a much more enjoyeable end result. Still a great and accurate overall tonal balance and excellent instruments separation with fantastic detail retrieval, but it is more technically convincing than musically convincing to me. Bass reponse of the DT48 with the Stepdance is on the lean and dry side. This is absolutely not the case with the Graham UL, which allow for the bass to breathe free and come alive, full. I also would add that with the Graham UL, the bass response in the DT48 seem on par with the K501, at least, from memory....

Quote:
Power is not control. Control is for a large part about the ability of the amplifier not just to drive the 'phone but also to deal with the signals the headphone sends back to the amp. As said so many times on these forums by some of the more experienced/knowledgeable members: you can get enough power from a CMoy to drive virtually any headphone. Unfortunately, that doesn't mean it will sound well. 

Thanks a lot for the nice impressions Drosera. It's funny but after reading a lot about this P1, I always got the feeling that the pairing of the DT48 with the Luxman would be a match made in heaven... Well, you seem to agree at least partially
biggrin.gif
  I am impressed at how the DT48 keep surprising us... This also shows - if still needed - that the DT48 requires a lot of care to trully shine, and a system that is almost build around it. Now, this sounds like the high-end fourm
biggrin.gif

Quote:
Well, what can I say, the Luxman works very well.
wink_face.gif

It's funny actually, planning to listen to the combination attentively and write something about it, I thought what I would write would be much more negative in tone. But listening to it again it mostly strikes me how well they compliment each other. First of all, it's an amazingly clean-sounding amp, meaning that it deals very well with the feedback of the load. One of the strengths of the Luxman is its bass authority and that really shows with the DT48E. Now they seem on occasion to outperform the W5000 in bass quantity. (Although, the W5000 is certainly not a bassy headphone either.) Still nothing much happening below 30 Hz though.
normal_smile%20.gif

What also helps is that the Luxman is certainly not a cold or even (over-)neutral sounding amp, which makes the DT48 far more pleasant and involving to listen to. Call the Luxman slightly warm if you will, it certainly isn't clinical sounding. The DT48E had fallen slightly out of favour with me in the last few months, I was rarely listening to them. But with the Luxman nicely catering to its strengths and compensating for some of its weaknesses I will certainly be listening a lot more to this headphone in the future.

Feb 24, 2011 at 10:07 PM Post #2,982 of 4,303
The expected date of arrival was today. I didn't get them today
frown.gif

Feb 25, 2011 at 1:06 AM Post #2,984 of 4,303
Has anyone compared the DT48 to a high end stax?

I had a Stax SRX MkIII, and I'd say the DT-48 holds up OK on the low end, perhaps on the high end but I'm not sure of that yet. But I'm pretty sure that despite a great sounding midrange overall, the DT-48 still has some midrange coloration that the Stax would not have, and the Sennheiser 800 also does not have.

Feb 25, 2011 at 12:20 PM Post #2,985 of 4,303
So 1937 technology has it's limits
wink.gif

Speaking on mid range, it seems it varies among DT48 models..

Found this blog.

I owned 14 total. 12 sounded different. The Mid range varies between the NAGRA associated DT48 mid range, the DT48a mid range, vintage DT48e mid range, & the modern DT48e mid range. Any DT48 has a great, full, & prominent mid range. Very mid centric. The DT48 probably has the most emphasis on the mids then any phone ever created. Much is sacrificed, so the DT48 mid range treads where others fear.

Of course the degrees are different & vary. The DT48 is first & fore most used for ENT/field work/recording & monitoring voices, & even for surveillance purposes. (Used in WWII under the nick name, 'Berlin.'
wink.gif
So it's not by accident that the DT48 mid range shines brightest among other headphones.

Some offer more pronounced upper mids, more resolving, some, as Kevin said, sounds a bit 'shouty' in certain instances.

In general the DT48 mid range is
Full & engaging
intimate
revealing
clear
detailed
resolving
smooth
accurate
transparent
Authentic & realistic at mimicking the human voice

The best as in order

1. The DT48e 200ohm that came with the NAGRA 4L. Their mid range regins supreme. It's the most prominent & dominate out of the other models. In a nut shell the mid range is so strong the instruments can sound a bit 'recessed.'

2. The Original 50's model DT48S 5ohm has a less pronounced & upfront mid range. A bit brighter & un colored.. A tad airy, liquid, & more effortless in presentation In comparison.

3. DT48A 5ohm. Similar to number 2, but more grounded, physical, & a bit 'stiff' & 'darker.'

4. Vintage DT48e 25/200 ohm. Down grade from the top 3, but still excellent & maintains the usual strengths of the DT48 mid range

5. Modern DT48e 25/200 ohm. Mid range, while excellent compared to other top headphones, sounds a bit congested & 'thick' compared to the other 4 DT48 models.

I would have no problem going against the best of the best with headphones known for their mid range. K1000/HD800/HP2/R10/LCD2.

Quote:
Quote:
Has anyone compared the DT48 to a high end stax?

I had a Stax SRX MkIII, and I'd say the DT-48 holds up OK on the low end, perhaps on the high end but I'm not sure of that yet. But I'm pretty sure that despite a great sounding midrange overall, the DT-48 still has some midrange coloration that the Stax would not have, and the Sennheiser 800 also does not have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back